main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga It Makes My Dome Hurt II: R2 Remembers ESB-Updated 2/9/09!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: It Makes My Dome Hurt II
    Characters: R2-D2 and all your OT favorites.
    Time Frame: ESB
    Genre: dramedy
    Summary: R2 recounts ESB
    Disclaimer: It all George's jungle
    Autours Note: From a plot bunny by Lola64

This is the sequel to [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/25859175/p1]It Makes My Dome Hurt:R2 Remembers ANH[/link]. As you probably know the films already, the first fic is not necessary to enjoy this one, but highly recommended.

Ok, Because some of you demanded it, and because I must has masochistic tendencies in here somewhere, we are about to beging R2's journey through The Empire Strikes Back. I will do my best to be faithful in this endeavor and I hope that you will be as pleased with this one as you were with the last one. Enjoy!

I remember how cold it was?

I remember fighting with the little troll?

I remember going swimming?

I remember the city in the clouds?

The honeymoon of celebration after the destruction of the space station was short lived. The Empire was still right on our tail. They chased us across the galaxy and back again, it seemed.

Luke had grown in the mean time. He was no longer naïve. His farm boy veneer was being replaced with a battle worn confidence. I could tell that the man he wanted to be; the man he dreamed of in Kenobi?s hut, was the man he was becoming. I guess it could be said that he wanted to emulate the image of his Jedi father, but Luke was his own man. He was doing the things he had only talked about as a boy on Tatooine.

As for the Rebellion, we chose the extreme opposite of Tatooine as our new base of operations. Where the desert was harsh and dry and hot, the planet Hoth was harsh and dry and FREEZING COLD! The thought of it, much less the reality of it, made my dome pulse with frustration. Why couldn?t we find another pleasant jungle to hide in?

Goldie and I were given tasks in the set up of our new base. I was put to work connecting different tactical, as well as environmental control systems. Goldie could have done this job as well, but he had gone back to being the Princess? personal assistant. He has always seemed happiest there.

Today, I was working and the heat flow system that supposedly made the cold bearable for humans. It was slow going. This was made more annoying by a crack I picked up on my auditory sensors.

?Are we really relying on an R2 unit that was past its prime before I was born??

I didn?t know who said it. It really didn?t matter. I?ll start worrying when I start getting complaints.

It was time for a break. I disconnected from the system and went to meet C-3PO. He was managing some crisis regarding the Princess wardrobe.

Han and Luke were to return from their patrol soon. I looked forward to seeing them. At least with them, I?d have an understanding ear. Yes, I said Han. Captain Solo and I had come to an understanding. I wouldn?t go so far as to call us friends, but we respected one another. His sarcasm, which was initially annoying were now, sometimes, humorous. But humor was not in our immediate future. Desperate waiting and fear would consume us through the night.

2. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    wow. loved it. can not wait for more.

3. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    ohhh. You're continuing the Artoo tail... err, tale! Yeah! [face_dancing]

4. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Count me in for this one, I'd appreciate PM updates! I'd love to hear R2's take on Han & Leia's fireworks on base, it ought to be good. I think R2 is much more perceptive and understanding of human conduct than 3PO ever was!

5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I lurked on the preque and I loved it!

I think that R2 is so funny!

Please add me to the PM liat.

6. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Oh yay! You're continuing, brodiew![face_dancing]This is off to a wonderful start! Please add me to the pm list! [face_batting] Great job!! :)
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Yay!!! This'll be fun!! :D

PMs please?

:)

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Author Note: I lost my responses with a click. Stang! I really appreciate all six of you stopping to check out the next installment of 'It Makes My Dome Hurt'. I plan to make regular updates, but they may be shorter in order to keep the pace going. Thanks again. Enjoy this next update!

Current PM list:

dm1
    Lady_Misty
    dancing_star
    jade_eyes
    Kevin_Solo
    LadyMisty

I met up with C-3PO as he was heading to the flight deck. He was going on about how difficult it was to keep the Princess? wardrobe comfortable in the sub freezing temperatures. I emitted a low whistle of understanding, but my true thoughts were focused on seeing Luke after a long patrol.

When we entered the flight deck, Han, no, Captain Solo, it works better for the story, was haranguing Chewbacca about making repairs because he wanted to leave. It reminded me of the first time I met him. He was in a hurry and, though not, not mean, he was sarcastic and unfriendly.

At the time, I had no idea he intended to leave for good.

C-3PO entered the fray bravely. I hadn?t realized until then that Goldie had a message for Solo. It took him a moment to get the man?s attention.

?-trying to get you on the communicator,? Goldie explained.

?I turned it off,? Solo replied, curtly. ?I don?t want to talk to her.?

?Well, Princess Leia is wondering about Master Luke. He hasn?t come back yet and she doesn?t know where he is.?

This was news to me as well. What did he mean she didn?t know where he is? He?s on patrol. It was getting late. In fact he should have returned by now.

?Deck officer! Deck officer!? Solo yelled has he rudely covered Goldie?s vocator. Don?t get me wrong, I?ve wanted to shut C-3PO?s mouth many times, but Solo tends to treat my companion as a?well, a droid. In the past three years, Luke and I, even the princess, have become close. There is no feeling that we are property, or that we are expendable. Solo has never really ingratiated himself to me, much less C-3PO.

Solo interrogated the officer about whether Luke was on site. When the young man said he thought it was possible that Luke had come in through the south entrance, Solo made it clear that he should check.

It was obvious to me, at least, that the very question of Luke?s whereabouts made Solo nervous. Where Goldie and I were just droids, Luke was another thing altogether. Luke was a friend, a brother, and reason to keep doing the right thing. Losing that, even the thought of losing it, would hurt Solo deeply.

When Solo finally removed his hand from C-3PO?s vocator, Goldie started in as if he hadn?t skipped a beat. I could see the weary resignation on the Captain?s face.

?Excuse me, sir. Might I inquire what's going on??

?Why not?? Solo replied dismissively.

?Impossible man. Come along, Artoo, Lets find Princess Leia.
    Between ourselves, I think Master Luke is in considerable danger.?

I didn?t like the sound of that.

9. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Oh, Artoo, Han will come around to actually like you two, even if he'll never want to admit it aloud! :)

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fun update. All're very much in character. Love Artoo's reflections on Han and how he feels about Luke. :D

11. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    R2 hit the nail on the head with Han.

Skywalkers+danger=trouble

12. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    It was obvious to me, at least, that the very question of Luke?s whereabouts made Solo nervous. Where Goldie and I were just droids, Luke was another thing altogether. Luke was a friend, a brother, and reason to keep doing the right thing. Losing that, even the thought of losing it, would hurt Solo deeply.
    Wow. That's some great insight from Artoo there. He's a smart little droid. ;) I'm loving this so far, brodie. :) [face_dancing]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

13. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I agree, Artoo really has some amazing insights into human behavior! He would recognize that worry was motivating Han. Wait until he figures out what else motivates him.... Threepio has no clue!

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Droids are SO hard to write well - (they tend to fall out of my works!) but I ADORE this because it IS so well written! Glad to see it back! [face_laugh]

15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Please update soon.

But for the mean time BUMP

16. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    I really hoped you would continue this story, brodiew!:D Imagine then my delight when I came on this thread!=D=

The first two posts deal with Hoth and Luke getting out of touch with the base. But I did like the very start, with Artoo looking back at ESB:

I remember how cold it was?

I remember fighting with the little troll?

I remember going swimming?

I remember the city in the clouds?

Very good![face_laugh] I liked his opinion of Luke:

Luke had grown in the mean time. He was no longer naïve. His farm boy veneer was being replaced with a battle worn confidence. I could tell that the man he wanted to be; the man he dreamed of in Kenobi?s hut, was the man he was becoming. I guess it could be said that he wanted to emulate the image of his Jedi father, but Luke was his own man. He was doing the things he had only talked about as a boy on Tatooine.

True enough.:) It appears that R2's opinion of Hoth agrees with Han's:

As for the Rebellion, we chose the extreme opposite of Tatooine as our new base of operations. Where the desert was harsh and dry and hot, the planet Hoth was harsh and dry and FREEZING COLD! The thought of it, much less the reality of it, made my dome pulse with frustration. Why couldn?t we find another pleasant jungle to hide in?

[face_laugh] It's not too surprising to then read that the droid has some respect for Han:

Han and Luke were to return from their patrol soon. I looked forward to seeing them. At least with them, I?d have an understanding ear. Yes, I said Han. Captain Solo and I had come to an understanding. I wouldn?t go so far as to call us friends, but we respected one another. His sarcasm, which was initially annoying were now, sometimes, humorous. But humor was not in our immediate future. Desperate waiting and fear would consume us through the night.

Good.:) Despite this, he has some sympathy for C3PO in this situation:

?Deck officer! Deck officer!? Solo yelled has he rudely covered Goldie?s vocator. Don?t get me wrong, I?ve wanted to shut C-3PO?s mouth many times, but Solo tends to treat my companion as a?well, a droid. In the past three years, Luke and I, even the princess, have become close. There is no feeling that we are property, or that we are expendable. Solo has never really ingratiated himself to me, much less C-3PO.

You can't have everything, I suppose...[face_mischief] At least he respects the concern Han has for Luke:

True![face_peace]

A great beginning, brodiew!=D= Could you please put me on your PM list?

17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Bumping this until-well until something happens. I owe R2 a few favors anyway.

18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    When are you going to update? Have you forgotten?

19. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    yeah it would be great if you would!

20. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    I'll third that! [face_batting]:D

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Make it an even square LOL :* :*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.