main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    All right folks, I caved and got myself a New 3DS XL. I've already got Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and A Link Between Worlds to go with it, and plan on getting the older Zelda titles from the eShop. Now I know the DS/3DS library is gigantic, so hit me with some of your best recommendations!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Tough to even make a short, non-Zelda, list, heh.

3DS: Fire Emblem Awakening, Azure Striker Gunvolt (eShop but I think there's a physical release too- either way, it makes for a nice little Mega Man X itch scratcher. Maybe a little easy but interesting mechanics), Metroid: Samus Returns. There's also the array of Nintendo keystones (Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros, Mario 3D Land, etc). Haven't had a chance to play my copies yet but Luigi's Mansion and Kirby Planet Robobot got good word of mouth too.

DS: Advance Wars Dual Strike, Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure, ChronoTrigger, Contra 4, Metroid Prime Pinball (if you're in the mood for a pinball game), Tetris DS (really good collection of Tetris modes), Retro Games Challenge. Mario Kart DS is still one of my favorite versions of the series.

There's a small DS title called Trace Memory that's sort of a point and click adventure but it's not heavy on the gameplay yet I found myself attached to it. It's worth checking out at least one Phoenix Wright game for something different, though I think there are collections available on other platforms that might be more cost effective.

The Mario & Luigi RPG series stretches across both platforms as well. Partners in Time, Dream Team, Bowser's Inside Story. Superstar Saga (GBA) also got a 3DS remake recently.

Just note that online modes/gameplay are no longer available for DS games, so take that into account (ie: Mario Kart, Tetris DS vs modes, etc).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'll definitely be using it primarily as a Zelda machine, but I do intend to get Samus Returns and the Luigi's Mansions at some point. WarioWare Gold is also a day one buy for me. Years ago I was bed-ridden with a back injury and a friend let me borrow his 3DS, and back then I played through Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land, the latter of which I'd like to play through again because I have really fond memories of it. I see Pokemon and Animal Crossing games recommended a lot on the DS/3DS, but seeing as how both of those will likely have Switch entries before long, I'll probably just wait for those.

@Ramza aren't you a fan of the Dragon Quest and Rune Factory games? Any good starting places for those on the platform?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Both of those franchises benefit from being composed mostly of stand alone titles (with the odd throwback reference for veterans) so it's hard to go wrong with anything, per se, but if I had to narrow it down I'd suggest Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride for the former, and Rune Factory 3 for the latter. I think those have the best mixture of being approachable for newcomers, solid entries in their own right, and not overcompensating in bad ways. I tend to recommend them even if I'm not restricted to DS/3DS titles.

One x-factor might be the 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII, but since I own it for PS2 I've never picked that port up, and I know slow downs have been an issue with ports of VIII in the past (though admittedly that was on phones). Also, I always consider recommending Rune Factory 4, since it's unambiguously better in most categories than 3, but in RF4 events (critical to your relationships with townsfolk) are randomized which can slow you down if a bad combination of required triggers intersects with NPCs being out of town for plot purposes. That said, I don't think you'd be in a bad way with any of those four titles, and I've sunk literal 100s of hours into all of them, so perhaps get whichever ones are cheapest.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, continuing on with my @Ramza -influenced return to my dozen-years-old save file for Harmony of Dissonance on the GBA Castlevania 2-pack that started in the Smash thread, I've miraculously made progress!

After swapping from my OG DS to the GCN GBA Player and a Wavebird (notable that this is the first time I'm really actively using it as my primary controller, as GBA games [with a couple specialty cart exceptions] don;t have rumble so I don't have to worry about losing that aspect of the games and can enjoy the wireless benefit instead), and being able to much more easier see the smaller details of the map, I found one little nook I hadn't accessed that wasn't behind a locked door or double jump obstacle.

That led me to the Skull Cave and the Skull Knight boss to acquire the feather needed to give me the double jump ability I've needed. Presumably this will lead me to the keys i need. Still, one bug step in the right direction given how stalled out this playthrough has been for over a decade despite almost constantly being in the GBA port of my DS for all those years.

One thing i'm curious about is when the series turned so heavily into being an RPG. Granted, I only played the first 4 games and a little bit of C64 prior to these GBA titles, so I skipped over SOTN and others. Was it a gradual transition or did one of them just make the hard break and add those systems?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It was a straight break starting with Symphony of the Night - that added the Metroid-style exploration, the inventory systems, leveling, the works. Every mainline game Igurashi produced after that (most of the handheld ones, two of the major console releases) continued in that direction, and that combined with a couple of ****ing terrible N64 games led to the "straight platformer" style of Castlevania dying off.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So valuable.

[​IMG]

I do love Juste's disbelief at the absurdity of the merchant opening up shop inside the castle. All the "What are you doing here? Why would you even open up shop?" comments sorta poke fun at the merchant's game mechanic existence in a way. I kinda feel like that's how any of us would react if a game mechanic suddenly manifested itself in the real world before us.

Reminds me of this a little:

[​IMG]

"Cake isn't naturally occurring". [face_laugh]

Then again, we're in a series that originated with a whip-wielding barbarian warrior finding pork chops inside of walls, so...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Ramza likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Only up until "Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth." That was designed as an old school, straight platformer.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well if we're going to count Wii exclusive Game Boy remakes no one cares about and cite them as indicative of franchise trends you might as well argue Castlevania temporarily became a fighting game series, at least that was a new game. Also I don't think it was technically old school back in 1989.:p

What I meant was that they effectively abandoned the platformer formula after they couldn't figure out how to modernize it - tellingly, when they did actually move away from the SotN formula, they tried character action.

And then they stopped trying altogether to get that sweet pachinko cheddar, but that's konami.txt.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Freaking Konami. I was watching some videos of the older games yesterday and, man, that little chime and white screen flash before Super Castlevania... that used to mean something, sigh...

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    We should've known how badly things were going to go based on what happened to Suikoden. O cruel naïve optimism and so on.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, all that needs to happen is a massive, sudden pachinko crash followed by a buy-out of Konami and... sigh...

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    1. I liked it.

2. I mean old school in that it was like playing a game from the third and fourth generations.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    To reiterate: it's a remake of a Game Boy game from 1989, so of course it does. :p

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So what's going on with the Amiibo line? Any official word? My guess - it's going to explode again in conjunction with the release of Smash Bros Ultimate for the Switch this Christmas.

Do you think they're redesign the old characters or just repackage them in new cardboard? 73 confirmed players so far so I imagine that would be a very large product line if all 73 were brand new in new poses and such. Thoughts?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I assume they'll just have new packaging for any Smash line rereleases. We have confirmation that all new/returning characters will get amiibo (so Snake, Ice Climbers, etc) and we've already seen the Ridley, Wolf and Inkling Girl Smash amiibo. I suspect the Rathalos amiibo will get NA releases now that he's a boss in Smash Ultimate. Only wild card might be new outfit variations for a couple characters (or a new subset tied to the rumored "Spirit" mode- Ghost Luigi, for instance).

Although I'm curious if they keep the same packaging size or shift the Smash series over to the smaller packaging that the subsequent lines have used.

On top of that, you have the Octoling 3-pack, the Shovel Knight 3-pack, Dark Souls Solaire & Mega Man 11- all this year.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

In 2 hours from the time I'm posting this, there'll be a Mobile Direct focused on the JRPG-inspired Dragalia Lost, Nintendo's first original IP mobile title, which hits on 9/27. Apparently developed by Cygames who were Nintendo acquired back in May.

EDIT- While having more features to it than I expected, there doesn't seem to be a lot here to really distinguish it from any generic mobile RPG. I do like that if you summon a hero with a lower star rating that you can use in game resources to upgrade their rating instead of trying to "reroll" like people were doing for FEH. But that's not an entirely new idea, either.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I've wondered what kind of hand grip attachment works best for a New 3DS XL. Or do they work at all?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've never used one for a portable system, sorry.

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Metroid Vibes

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Life likes this.
  22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Thank you Reggie for your many years at Nintendo, its been a great ride. I'm going to miss him, he was great fun pretty much all the time and he's led NoA during some really great years and some not-so great years.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My body is not ready. :(

End of an era.

[​IMG]

Life and Nobody145 like this.
  24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I still love his "fight' with the late great Iwata.

And this too

So many memes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Life and The2ndQuest like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Life likes this.