main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST It Takes a Galaxy: What's your favorite holiday memory?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PymParticles , Apr 5, 2018.

1. Dinheiro

Dinheiro Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2018
    History of Darth Sidious

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  2. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Lords of the Sith. Best book? No way, but it's the one I enjoyed the most.

I'll give a shout out to Kenobi. A simple wild west tale that started at a snail's pace but managed to keep me engrossed.

3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I am very Vader-biased, so my most of favorite SW stories tend to include Vader in it (not all, but a large chunk of them). My favorite Rebels episodes are, of course, the Siege of Lothal the Twilight of the Apprentice. :p

But I have to say, even though I read most of the Vader-including material in Legends and for a long while Luceno’s The Rise of Darth Vader was my favorite non-movie story ever, the new canon comics with Kieron Gillen’s Vader run has now taken first spot. Not only Vader is depicted perfectly, but Gillen managed to introduce an original character to play off Vader (Aphra) that I actually cared about and even rooted for her to outsmart Vader. Which is unusual for me.

Lords of the Sith was also pretty good. Honestly I love Disney Vader. :D

But for non-Vader stories, the Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes short in From a Certain Point of View has to be my favorite.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Daley's Han Solo adventures. Those are more canon than the PT, to me.

5. Lord Keaveney

Lord Keaveney Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2018
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. The book is basically a meta exploration of fan-fiction and the more cliche elements of the old Expanded Universe stories. What's better still is those themes play directly into the conclusion of the story and how Luke manages to resolve the crisis.

The fact that it's no longer canon itself anymone, only really adds to the charm.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've actually been meaning to read it for a really long time. I've heard the tone described like a tongue-in-cheek take on the old Han Solo and Lando Calrissian books from the early '80s, which I love.

7. Lord Keaveney

Lord Keaveney Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2018
    I'd say tongue-in-cheek is a fair description, it's very self aware.

8. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Favorite non-film Star Wars story...so tough...

It has to be the entire story arc of Kanan Jarrus/Caleb Dume from Rebels. How he went from a scared Padawan on the run, to an alcoholic miner, to fighting alongside Hera, to the reluctant master of Ezra, to the father figure/balanced Jedi Master we all know and love. ^:)^ He's my second favorite Jedi (behind Luke), and seeing him go tore my heart out. :_| But, now this is what Fan Fiction is for...writing/reading the stories we wanted. :p

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Alright, I admit it... I've been incredibly lazy with updating this thread. I beg your forgiveness, but I do not expect it. My penance is your ire. Anyway, a few of you requested that the next topic be favorite Star Wars video game. However, since so many of you responded to the last topic ("Whats your favorite non-film Star Wars story?") with video games, I didn't want to post a topic that could potentially be too similar. So I dug around in my brain a bit, and decided on one that should be obvious. We all have hobbies and interests outside of Star Wars, whatever they may be. Sports, politics, knitting, jogging, whatever.

So that's the topic: What are your primary interests outside of Star Wars? What else are you invested in, what gets you excited? Open up, and share a lil' bit. We're all friends here.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    What is this "outside of Star Wars" you speak of? :p

11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Oh boy, well I'm glad you asked.

Mine are pretty diverse. I've been interested in politics since I was a kid, and I regularly keep myself updated on both US and international political affairs. I'm a huge comics nerd, I love both Marvel and DC, and I also try to keep abreast of the indie and DIY comics scene (I have ordered way too many comics off of Etsy). I’m an avid reader (I think my favorite book may be The Picture of Dorian Grey). I like old video games. I like bands like The Strokes, the Cure, the Smiths, and Arctic Monkeys. I’m into sports, but I’ve never been the kind of person to memorize stats or even most players’ names. I follow the Yankees, the Heat, the Giants, the Maple Leafs, Manchester United, and I’m rooting for Egypt in the World Cup. I play bass. I write, although not as much as I should.

And I think that’s enough to be getting on with for now. Now, you all try!

EHT, Darth Chiznuk and TCF-1138 like this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    My grandparents owned a large farm that we used to go visit when I was a kid. But instead of growing anything it was littered with every car my grandfather ever owned. And he owned a lot. Most of them didn't work so he was okay with me taking them all apart to try and figure out how they worked. I spent countless hours of my childhood tinkering with them so I have always had a love for cars. I'm also a motorcycle enthusiast and have nearly killed myself on multiple occasions according to my wife. I'm a member of a motorcycle club but instead of doing cool stuff like arms dealing we mostly just do charity drives and things. We're kind of boring that way. :p I like to fish even though I'm not very good at it. I enjoy sports. Go Titans! I love history and enjoy reading about it when I get a chance (which is never.) I've been happily married for almost 14 years so I guess I like my wife somewhat. I have five kids who are involved in various activities so I enjoy watching them. Other than that I guess I also enjoy lying on my couch with my eyes closed and my ears plugged trying desperately to ignore the seven dozen voices in my house who are all screaming at each other. :p

EHT, TCF-1138 and PymParticles like this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    All right, I'll answer this seriously then. :p
    I'm a filmmaker and a photographer, which takes up much of my time, since it's both my job and my hobby. I'm also a geek in many ways outside of SW - Star Trek, Middle-Earth, Firefly, Alien, Blade Runner - I enjoy fantasy and scifi a lot.
    I'm especially into the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, and have made a few films set within his Cthulhu mythos - and I'm working on a photographic art project based on Lovecraft short stories. :-B

I'm also really into cooking, so I'll end my post here - my vegan Red Beans and Rice are almost done. :p

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I really like movies in general, but none specifically nearly as much as SW... it's not like I really have other franchises that compete with it much at all. But I will say that Jaws is one of my favorite movies. I really like music, especially rock, and I play the drums (in bands in high school and college, now just occasionally for fun). Other varied interests of mine for many years now include things like animals, cars, literature, history, and art. For sports, I am really into soccer (yes, rest of world, I know it's actually "football" :p ). I played it a little bit as a kid, but my wife and I have really gotten into it over the last few years since our son and daughter both play it at a pretty competitive level (much better and more competitive than when I played). So going to their games, going to professional or national team games, and watching it on TV... love it all.

15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Jaws is fantastic!

16. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Jaws is the perfect summer movie. I'm planning to watch it the weekend before July 4. Actually, most of Spielberg's big blockbusters are perfect summer movies.

Darth Chiznuk , EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    A couple of years ago I went to a Jaws screening at an in-door pool. It was awesome - sitting in one of those inflatable doughnut-things in the water while watching Jaws on the big screen. One of the coolest movie-going experiences I've had.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    A couple years ago we were on Cape Cod for the 4th of July, and a local theater was showing Jaws. I had seen it countless times before, but never in a theater. Seeing it that weekend (when most of the movie takes place) and on Cape Cod (where it was filmed, even though it was set on the fictional nearby Amity Island) just made it even cooler.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I prefer Jaws: The Revenge. :p

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Jaws is a single, standalone movie. There are no sequels to it. NONE.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Wait... so does that mean Sharknado isn't part of the same universe? I've lost faith in humanity!

TCF-1138 and EHT like this.
  22. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm ashamed to admit that Jaws: The Revenge was the first film in the series I saw. I never saw the second, and I've only caught bits of the third on TV while flipping through channels. But Jaws: The Revenge was my first. I was, like, four or somewhere around that age, and I didn't see the original until I was six or seven years old.

That reminds me of something else I like doing: watching godawful movies with groups of friends. Last year, I was with ten or so friends watching Alien: Resurrection while we all got progressively drunker. The issue is there's no level of intoxication that makes it any less painful to watch. Laughter is the only alleviator.

Darth Chiznuk , EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I can't laugh at Alien: Resurrection. It just makes me angry. :p

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    If you're looking for bad movies to watch then watch Thankskilling on Halloween. Gobble gobble, mother******! [face_rofl]

25. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Further interests: Halloween. I start seriously planning decorations and my marathon list around June/July of every year. My girlfriend teases me about it, but I can't help it; I like the spooky season.