main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST It wasn't All Bad

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Love SW2012, Jun 11, 2021.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree with this. I think the people who were disappointed with the ST will remain that way for the most part. I mean, even TROS is over two years old now. If these episodes were going to "grow" on people at all after time and additional viewings, they would have done so by now.

However, I think what WILL happen after a decade or two is that as younger generations experience the Skywalker Saga as a whole for the first time, without any preconceived expectations for what the story should have been, they will accept them more readily the way they are. Basically going into it with an open mind and a wholly unbiased point of view.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    “Two were made” and Luke raising the X-Wing still gets to me. I’m listening to the soundtrack right now and it is pretty moving.

It just felt so redemptive and final.

Sarge likes this.
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It’ll be interesting to see, partially because of technology, the ST’s internal schisms and brand expansion -

- Zoomers have even more access to varying opinion on art than Millenials did, and Millenials totally grew up knowing that Gen X was more bitter about the PT, and it *did* impact Millenial views of the story in different ways.

- Zoomers and successive generations are going to be sharing internet space with the “Only this film is worth your time” argument for some time, and that’s a different type of dispute than what the PT had. This is where follow-up stories could define things more so than TCW did - TCW knew it’s audience agreed who the main characters were and how we should react to them, after all, while Kylo Ren is a walking inferno of split opinions.

- And finally, there’s a “Who cares about the Skywalker Saga’s ending, when The Mandalorian is so much better?” possibility.

I’ve personally observed most of my high school students, who were primed to be the ST’s generation, are much more positive and engrossed about The Mandalorian than the ST, already have opinions formed regarding the arguments the older generations had, and that if it weren’t for The Mandalorian, I don't think Star Wars would be as big among them as it is - and it’s still second fiddle to Marvel.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My sons are in high school and didn’t care about the ST. My older one liked TFA but that was it. They were much more into Star Wars during TCW era.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    All definitely good points. I would add though that over time, the ongoing influence of the whole "don't bother watching this one-for these reasons" crowd (basically older fans that influence younger individuals with their own previous likes/dislikes) will inevitably dwindle as the years go by and the disconnect between what future youngsters like and what current adults and older fans who were around for the OT releases grows wider and wider. Between that and the simple fact of people moving on to other things in life in the years following the release of the ST, I think we'll see less and less influence, allowing younger generations to truly form their own opinions-unaware of the initial reactions of those films upon their respective releases.

What I'm REALLY hoping is that in the next decade or so, we experience some entirely new, unprecedented culturally-influencing film franchise that we've never seen before. Basically something entirely new, that had all of the cultural effects that SW had, which would breathe new life into the film industry-after years of mostly derivative and unoriginal slosh. We never know what the future may hold, after all!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  6. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    alright thxs and i will respect your poinbt as well

7. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    agreed

HevyDevy likes this.
  8. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Not everything marvel studios does is gold either. You could argue that Star Wars on the small screen has been consistently better overall than Marvel. That's not to say that Marvel haven't been great at times but I prefer star wars than marvel.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It doesn't matter how the ST ended, it was always gonna be overshadowed to point by the tv shows and spin-off mores. thats more about filling people's heads with too much Star Wars. The ST was never gonna have that moment because Disney wouldn't give them time to have that moment. same wth alot of Star Wars as of late.

But at the same time, that might be in the ST's favor. Because unlike the PT, its not carrying a weight for years to come.

Co-Pilot likes this.
  10. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Not everything is good in the MCU, true, but Feige made sure the epoch Avengers films raised and then upheld expectations; the adjustments made after Age of Ultron was underwhelming resulted in Captain America: Civil War resetting the stage and both entires in the Thanos Duology surpassing the the ST’s most successful movie… and the MCU fully eclipsing Star Wars in the public consciousness.

I would, however, totally agree about Star Wars TV shows being better than the MCU’s stuff… but that had its genesis under Lucas alongside Filoni, then Filoni with Favreau, neither of which the movies had… and the shows have become the heart of Star Wars in part because of the films ceasing but also because the shows are just that much better, while the MCU has the movies remain the tent poles compared to the shows.
    Doubtful.

The MCU’s triumphant climax with Infinity War and Endgame hasn’t slowed down their movie production, hasn’t been overshadowed by their TV shows (even though there’s more of both than Star Wars has), and those films still cast a shadow over and define the next Phase of Marvel in a positive, money making and lore-expanding manner. Star Wars ceased production on their movies, has all but dropped using the ST characters, and the shadow cast by the ST has had a dubious and at times negative effect on properties, whether it was in worsening Solo: A Star Wars’s story issues on its way to bombing or putting pressure on Filoni and co. to get Grogu away from Luke early lest they step on the ST’s toes.

There’s no such thing as “too much Star Wars.” There’s only too much subpar Star Wars. If they could clone Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau to speed up production on all their shows, they would, and the audience would lap it up. But they’ve likely run the numbers enough to realize that ST-related IP’s like Ben, likely their most favored IP form that group, just aren’t popular or interesting enough to justify a Disney+ budget compared to original IPs they can produce without his baggage.

Nobody145, wobbits, 2Cleva and 3 others like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    That sounds like bias to the dislike then facts. Filoni and Faveru simply have plans and Disney not forcing Grogu from Luke. And they want to explore the 30 years gap for now until they revisits the ST characters. Filoni likes the ST by the way. Remember we still not gotten anything prequel content orher then Clone Wars. And MCU has been Subpar since Endgame. The new sith novel comes out soon. I think some fans just jump the guns sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, why make money on movies now, when they could just wait a decade and make movies in 10 years. Sounds like a great business plan. That's exactly how Hollywood behaves. Totally normal.

lol

If Disney was sure of SW making movie money, they'd be putting out movie after movie after movie right this very second. And yet, their only SW announced movie has been shelved indefinitely.

These are not confident actions. Nor are they 'we're following a plan'. It's crap...we have no clue what to do now'.

Hollywood doesn't wait. Unless something is deeply wrong.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Star wars is special events, not Marvel. And thats why it takes so long, they want it to feel special. Tv shows they can do and not make the magic dissappear. Disney and LFL is vety portective of the brand. And who id to say they are not already making plans. Mandalorian is but first step in that dirction.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I finally bought TROS on Blu-Ray but mainly for completist purposes.

15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Star Wars WAS special events. 40-20 years ago. This is a business. It's about making money. Disney had no intention of only putting out SW special movies once a decade. Up until TLJ, SOLO, they were careless, and filled with hubris, and very eager to make movies (ie: money) on a timescale just like Marvel, or any other successful franchise for that matter. They're not making movies because they suddenly think SW is special and only hits theaters once every 15 years. You're fooling yourself otherwise, and inventing excuses.

16. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    As much as they tried to make TROS like End Game, it just couldn't be End Game. So its not really the same thing. Star Wars is just different to the Marvel. For one thing the Marvel movies keep moving forward in the same period interconnected and building from. While Star Wars shifts investments constantly from era to era. There was no way the ST could fee

Disney always had it planned for multiple spin offs throughout many eras. so why the ST characters have yet to appear again isn't a shock. even as far back as TFA when they were startin these plans.

Then it doesn't make much sense why they gave Grogu to Luke in the first place. Its fairly obvious they didn't want to keep the show going without Grogu. Simple as really. there was 25 years of time. there was no rush really.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d argue that right now, The Mandalorian *is* a special event, and does feel special to mainstream fans as well as hardcores. Din Djarin showing up in The Book Of Boba Fett blew up that series back into must-watch territory. It’s not “the first step,” it’s the whole stairs now.

And Fred, I’d have to say that Bad Batch is definitely PT-related content that LFL is more comfortable with than anything they might produce with the ST. Even what “prequel to the sequel” elements The Mandalorian has are far removed, toothless, and likely in flux at best and rejected at worst. Though for the record, I think that’s more because *everyone* understands that era better than they do the ST; they know what it’s strengths are and what it needs to focus on, unlike with the ST, where I’m sure half the problem is how stuff like Resistance shows they don’t quite no how to focus things in the most popular direction because the ST is contradictory.

Of course they couldn’t make TROS like end game - TLJ is the anti-infinity War, killing hype and engagment with all major characters and conflicts and not even having a good cliffhanger. TFA may have been operating more on marketing principles from Abrams, but he understood those principles better than LFL understood Star Wars, since Star Wars was a *bigger deal* than Marvel when it returned with TFA… until TLJ saw to it’s end. TFA was a hype-generating machine because it knew enough to give the next guy a chance to make a great Star Wars film even if TFA itself had no idea what that story would be; TLJ is a hype-killer because it doesn’t understand what people like about Star Wars.

And I’d say Disney was right to push for ST-content after TFA, because there *was* a market for it, and because outside observers could see where they could do stuff; Poe got a comic because a comic writer correctly saw how to handle him better than Johnson would, and Resistance most likely had to get pitched and start production before TLJ was released… and the way both those properties died was because TLJ kind of kills their premeses.

The problem is the most successful and best ST film was the first one, which guys like Pablo Hidalgo didn’t like, while the ST overall is a mishmash of IPs that hurt each other. Ben Solo is a cancer on better characters, Finn is a success they don’t want and that TLJ fans are insecure over, while Rey is damaged goods.

And I 100% know that the reason Luke could make the rescue and train Grogu but the fade away almost immediately after is because Filoni and Favreau may hope they could do something cool with Luke, but no he’s also damaged goods the more the story relates to TLJ.

18. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    It's special all right. But I was more simply referring to the nature of SW movies up until Disney came along, where the OT came out in the 70s-80s, and the PT, in the early aughts. And that was pretty much it, movie wise. Special events blockbusters, where you needed to go because you're likely to never see it in theaters again.

Disney certainly wanted movies coming out every damn year. Not every other decade.

wobbits and 2Cleva like this.
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Agreed. And I think if the spin-offs had the quality of Rogue One each time, we’d likely still see them being produced right now, much like how I think if the ST had quality just a bit north of TFA, we’d likely see those IPs being exploited right now as well.

In contrast, the MCU has managed to make itself special event blockbusters even after Endgame, even with stand-alone introducing new characters…

…Though much of that is likely because everyone gets the formula to make an MCU film a special event blockbuster, while the formula for that with Star Wars isn’t nearly as understood. Both franchises are all about likable characters with dynamic arcs… but the MCU can rely on comic book formula for its conflicts and their scales, while Star Wars is meant to be an operatic and mythological epic.

The Mandalorian hits the right beat because it knows how to go back to the days of knightly quests to get its operatic and mythological aspects. TLJ derailed the ST completely because Rian Johnson just isn’t an operatic guy.

20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Even TFA wouldn't have led to a good End Game. Keeping the characters together like Rey and Finn constantly like you would have preferred wouldn't have led to an End Game. TLJ did nothing in that regard. TFA was a reboot that later regretted being a reboot. Disney were not in that frame of mind to make End Game until TROS

Well thats purely based on opinion. Which is fandom in general. And no one was happy in the end. People who think Ben Solo was gonna fade jump to bump Finn up? come on dude.

But it really isn't. there is 25 years of time to go through. Grogu could have stayed with Luke for 2 years? 2 years is nothing. He basically only stayed with him maybe a few months because they couldn't have series 3 without Grogu. Which made giving Luke Grogu a waste of time.

it is to a point. But it doesn't have the same hook considering we just see Boba team up with him in Series 2 and then we see Din in Boba Fett a year later. Even if they made a event series bringing them all together like The Defenders. It would never be endgame. They haven't done that good of a job when it comes to using characters sparingly. That joy of seeing characters interact for first time is very diluted.

I actually think Obi Wan could end up a better event series than the Mandoverse. Obi Wan will be bring several eras together.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  21. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    I don't think you can really compare star wars with marvel. Despite the fact star wars is 45 years old this year some marvel.charscters are going a lot longer and are synonomus with comics and the history of comics. Kids dream of being a superhero more then being a jedi Knight or an x wing pilot. Peter Parker can be any kid, who doesn't want to have the strength of the hulk or flying around like Iron man. There is more universal appeal with marvel then star wars despite the fact star wars is huge too.

I did think infinity wars was better then endgame. I thought of age of ultron was boring as was the first avengers. There's simply too many thor films but I enjoy the spiderman movies.

The quality of marvels output since endgame hasn't been as good as the last few movies but they trade off on the marvel name much the way star wars did the same for years. The ST has tarnished the star wars name for some and the solo movie added enough salt to the wound to force disney to call a halt to their star wars movies output.

If the powers that be had the testicular fortitude to do an old Republic trilogy and spin offs from that we might be back in business. Sadly I don't think Disney have the grapes lol

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Of course you can compare them. This isn't about quality or style. DLF originally wanted to pump out at least 2 Star Wars movies a year. The GFFA is already an interconnected franchise universe. Way way back there was talk of a Fett movie, a Yoda movie. RJ's trilogy. Rogue Squadron. And a few other nameless movies as well.

I don't think its fair that fans can now just say "oh Disney never meant to make that many SW movies".

Nah. Their movies 'bombed' or almost destroyed the fandom and now Disney has no clue what to do, movie-wise. Not producing movies hasn't got anything to do with SW is special. The D+ stuff is being pumped out because it's tested and they trust creative team in place. If they trust the movie team, they'd be pumping out movies left and right.

23. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Exactly. I think Merriam Webster should put the LFL “creative” movie team in for the definition of “hubris.” They thought they knew better than the creator and made so many unforced errors, it’s astounding. I’m waiting for someone to write a book or at least a podcast. But of course, most of the film sites that might do that are such RJ fans and still post about how fantastic TLJ was, it’s going to take a renegade to get the story out.

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Marvel has had much more live action TV output than Lucasfilm. And whilst, as a SW fan, I’d say that The Mandalorian has been the best Disney+ show, Marvel’s TV content has been solid/good (IMO), and has been more frequent. However, the biggest difference (in terms of reach etc.) is obviously the cinematic content, which has underpinned Marvel’s success over the last decade or so. In comparison Lucasfilm’s live action films have been largely misjudged, which resulted in the current hiatus. I think that was a big mistake. The big question now (which causes a dilemma for Disney) is, with all the SW TV shows currently in development, will the economic downturn have an impact on Disney+ subscriptions? Will Disney perhaps put SW TV shows, not currently in production, on hold? I think that’s likely.

Do you need counselling/therapy?

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The first act of TFA might be the best part of the trilogy. Spellbinding stuff!

godisawesome likes this.