main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST It wasn't All Bad

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Love SW2012, Jun 11, 2021.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d say it’s more that sometimes “connecting the dots” means backtracking and forsaking stuff you liked to see connections that aren’t as interesting and are often somewhat anemic in total.

Like, you can’t really be as invested in the victory from ROTJ for any of the ST films, you can’t really be as invested in the character arcs, relationships, and chemistry of TFA for TLJ and TROS, and you can’t really be invested in the supposed messages and themes of TLJ for TROS.

It’s why each film feels like it belongs in a different Trilogy. TFA belongs to the trilogy focused on Rey, Finn, their connection, and Kylo as the villain, TLJ belongs to a trilogy about Luke and Kylo as the main focus everyone else is secondary to, and TROS belongs to a trilogy trying to focus on Rey and Kylo/Ben but still give everyone else something to do.

It even applies to individual characters. To enjoy TLJ, you can’t have enjoyed the full depth and breadth of TFA’s story for him or his relationship with Rey. To enjoy TROS, you can’t be satisfied with the structure TLJ wants for him or be invested in Rose to enjoy TLJ,you canker be as invested in Rey’s struggles and relationships in TFA, and especially not her grudge against Kylo. Etc., etc.

2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    you can't say can't to other people who can

MarcJordan and godisawesome like this.
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Correct.

But most people are going to end up choosing one film over the others, because that’s what the films do to each other.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The Boba Fett and Obi-Wan content will foster plenty of goodwill.

RetropME and christophero30 like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Always in motion is future, difficult to see. :yoda:

6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    What's annoying about the ST is that it takes one of my issues with the PT and dials it up to 11. Like there's some stuff in the PT that doesn't really make sense... and if you complain about it people will tell you "oh watch this 5 season cartoon and they explain it".

The ST like like 100 times worse.... I have to watch a cartoon, read a bunch of novels and then reference some guide books and wookiepedia to even know the basic backstory, much less basic backgrounds on half the characters. It's like a whole trilogy full of "Sifo-dyas" plot threads.

7. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Or Disney's way of making money!

NOTJEDIMATERIAL and Darth__Lobot like this.
  8. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Except most of those plot threads aren’t developed in canon or are even contradicted. It’s pretty awful in terms of storytelling.

9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Yeah, maybe I wasn't clear, but that's what I'm saying - it's bad!

And also to be clear - I don't even care whether the out of movie stuff goes anywhere or not. If a film maker can't be bothered to adequately explain something important in the damn film I just don't bother with it. (I do think having little ancillary details explained in other media can be cool - but NOT major background or plot points)

CampOfSorgan and TOASTEROVEN like this.
  10. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    I understood that I am just saying that even if you do everything you listed your still not going to find the complete story because they haven't figured any of it out yet. I know I tried and gave up and sold off all of my comics and most of my new Canon books all I have left is stuff that ties into Rogue One, Clone Wars, Rebels and the OT the rest is gone.

Def Trooper, Darth PJ, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The dark side I sense in you…
    :p

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The only parts I actively dislike is the Canto Bight/Resistance fleet chase scenes, actually, oh and the pacing in TROS.

Otherwise I really enjoy it all.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked TFA and most of TROS. I loved Rey and Finn’s dynamic in TFA, the defecting stormtrooper storyline, Rey’s theme (my ring tone for awhile), Han Solo’s heroic attempt to reach his son, Luke’s speech on Crait, the war profiteering message around Canto Bight, Poe and Finn’s dynamic in TROS, Lando’s return, and Zorri.

15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Han Kylo scenes were really good. Wish we had more of that. There was a rumored scene of Han and little Kylo on the Falcon I would have liked to have seen.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s a bonus for TROS there. I actually liked Kylo in the scenes from the time he sensed Leia’s death through the Han memory scene.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If we’d had that Kylo and Chewbacca scene in TROS I would have been so happy…

18. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    The word "apathy' sums it up well. I think TFA and TLJ are fine and engaging as individual blockbuster films. I think TROS is truly horrendous by any metric BUT I will give it credit for trying to shove some plot in there to make up for the previous two films' neglect of it. But yeah, each film works to just completely neutralize the other 2 so that the end result just feels like...nothing. It's hard to even hate it because that would require having more feelings than the end result really leaves me with. Like at this point it's hard to get invested in the good parts of TFA/TLJ cause it just ultimately doesn't matter.

The result is 3 films that just kinda exist and add nothing to the overall 9 episode story. They work as sequels but you can literally just take them or leave them, there's nothing that feels truly "essential", the way the PT's flawed exploration of the republic, the jedi, pre-Vader Anakin, Kenobi and Anakin (..etc) feel important in the way they inform the story of the OT.

This is kinda why I defend TLJ. I think that at least on some thematic level it attempts (with very mixed results) to add some new layers of meaning to the overall story, mainly with Luke and Kylo's stuff. I think its attempt at being an epilogue to the OT successfully elicits some meaningful emotions, though it does so while failing to create a meaningful story specifically for the ST (which TFA failed to do as well frankly, but TFA at least gave good introductions for the new ensemble).

Love SW2012 and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I posted elsewhere, one of the good things about the OT was that, unlike the MCU, for example, you only need to see three movies to get the story. Yes, there was the beginnings of the EU for fans, but you could avoid them and still get the gist of the saga. The PT was, to an extent, the same way, though they did rely on other sources for some background, especially between AOTC and ROTS. The ST relies on outside material far too much, though.

Darth__Lobot, TOASTEROVEN and 2Cleva like this.
  20. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    It's pretty much the real-life equivalent of this:

2Cleva likes this.
  21. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    I really enjoy 7,8,9 but I don't enjoy the ST. That's the problem with the new movies as they work on their own as a standalone, but don't really work as a Trilogy. The Problem is they are the third trilogy in a Saga, so they are meant to be watched that way.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  22. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Honestly, the films didn't work as stand alones or as a whole trilogy to me.

23. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    The movies are certainly not all bad. And they are absolutely not the abominations I've heard some call them. The problem is that the good things seem to bring the bad things into focus. For example, Mark Hamill delivers a fine performance in TLJ, but it reminds you that he's playing Jake Skywalker, not Luke. Or the scene with Han's ghost (yes, it's his ghost, not some subconscious memory, I unshakably believe) in TROS is well-done, but it reminds you how they needlessly murdered him in TFA. And good characterizations for Finn and Poe in TFA remind you that those will be short-circuited in TLJ, then changed again for TROS.
    I go along with those who feel sad about all the missed opportunities in the ST.

24. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I have always liked the ST. However, they are no where near as good as the first 6. My opinion of course. Loving them is a different story, which is to say I love the first 6.

25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

FTFY! :)