main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's A Kind Of Magic... Highlander (The Remake Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I'm sorry, IRD, but you just lost the Game. Please turn in your head to the nearest depot.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Attention was already made. Kurgan's point was getting out of there because he was seen and before the police show up.

I never said that Fasil was there to watch the show. How the challenge got started is not known and won't ever be, but the fact is that they'd both be there that night. There can be two explanations, based on which continuity you go by.

1. In the first film only, they knew because they felt a pull that prompted them to go. Which would account for how they knew where the other was in a city that size.

2. In the series verse, they had already met and agreed upon a location.

Wrestling is treated as a sport where the wrestlers have a feud and settle it in the ring. A real battle took place on the battle field and was based on actual grievances.

Dark, but not completely dark. We've seen actual wrestling matches where you can make out people in the lower levels in better detail than up in the upper seats.

Only for dramatic effect in the first film.

It is when there wasn't much of an advertising campaign. That was Panzer's point. They had a theatrical poster that didn't convey what the film was about. The trailers weren't in enough theaters and there wasn't much for television spots. And when you consider how much money the next three films did have, with a better campaign behind them, it's easy to see what a difference it makes. Even the investor on the second film said that the first film should have done better. Not to mention that it opened up very well in France and in other countries. No, none of them made a profit. But considered this...

The second film opened number three in November of 91. It slipped to number six and then to eight. The third film debuted at number two, went to number seven and then number ten between January and February of 95. The fourth film debuted at number three, dropped to fifth place and then down to ten in September of 00.

That's because he already judged Connor as a good man right from the outset.

Just about everyone trained someone else. Even the Kurgan trained Kane for a time.

He was testing if he would take his head for the power, not because he was or wasn't worthy of using the power.

That's because he didn't believe it was leveling the playing field with Nakano's power.

Costume parties. Halloween. Stage theater productions. Practical jokers.

I didn't say otherwise. I said that he sensed Ahriman's presence but didn't realize that was what it was until later on. Then he felt Methos coming and mistook the two.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/highlander-crow-reboots-set-key-crew/

Well I'm glad that they're getting a script together. I mean, I'm not 100% sold on the whole reboot idea, but if they are going to do it then certainly having a script in place before shooting is the way to go.

Sarge likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Director Chad Stahelski Provides an Update on ‘Highlander’; Could Be a Movie or TV Series

Well I like the fact that they are putting some thought into it rather than rushing out a product, but I get the feeling that they know tapping the potential of the Highlander concept to create more than one film is a very, very difficult balancing act. I really like the idea of a long TV mini-series following several immortals rather than just remixing the original Highlander film, provided the map it all out properly before they start cameras rolling.

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I never watched the 90s TV series, but the basic Highlander premise lends itself well to the often shortened run format (10-12 episodes per season) of cable or web-based series.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I watched the 90s series early on, but I also think a shortened series would be better. I’d like to follow several immortals too.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The series worked when it shouldn't have. The benefits of the show was that it gave time for the characters to grow and to explore what being an Immortal was about. The first film spent a lot of time showing Connor's origin, but we only got two flashbacks set outside of Scotland, in different eras. The series was able to cover a whole range of eras and locations.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  9. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    We still dont know if they are going to make a movie or another tv series.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    https://screencrush.com/highlander-will-get-a-reboot-starring-henry-cavill/

11. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I can't see him playing the title role, they'll almost certainly go for someone younger; I suspect he's either the Kurgan or maybe Ramirez (though this seems unlikely as casting a white guy in a role better suited to a person of colour would be asking for trouble today).

Sarge likes this.
  12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Henry Cavíllez Sánchez de Villalobos

soitscometothis, Master_Lok and dp4m like this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    While I like the Kurgan as a classic “Big Bad Barbarian Bruiser” antagonist, I could see them using an overly-cultured, decadent, surgically precise villain as at least a preview for the Kurgan fight. Cavil can play a bruiser if he wanted to, but he could also play something like an Immortal Norman Lord or something.

Sarge and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You've seen Rob Roy?

15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Don't forget Highlander was partly inspired by The Duellists, and I can see them using Harvey Keitel's character as a template for a bad guy, if they don't want to go full Kurgan that is.

godisawesome likes this.
  16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yup.

Cavill’s a might bit larger than Tim Roth though. He *can* play a dandy, but if I were making him the villain to an Englishman, I might almost make him play against the usual stereotype of bigger, bruising Scotsman and be an equally large or larger villain to whoever the McCloud is here, but still much more refined and depraved.

Imagine a warlord who crossed the channel with William The Bastard as one of his more gentlemanly backstabbing courtiers, who’s always maintained an elitist bit of spite and malice, but always had the genuine strength as well as skill to be a brutal enforcer in between parties and feasts, and who has a very Archibald Cunningham sociopathy, but less the dandy and more the rake. Less small sword, more cavalry saber.

Someone who could both almost make you find the Kurgan more admirable for at least admitting he’s a brutal monster looking for challenges, but also be an impressive enough foe that if McCloud or the Kurgan killed him, it would be major news.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    They're taking the remake in a surprising new direction.

[​IMG]

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In the 90's, it was Connor McCluck of the Clan McCluck.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Caught a bit of Highlander. I noticed for the first time that one of the items hanging by the entrance of his circular trophy room is a green cloak worn by Connery when they first meet.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    lol

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    “There can be only one (person in every movie ever made now that I’m a big time movie star)”

Said Henry Cavill

Probably

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep. Noticed it quite a number of years ago. It's absent in the fourth film.