main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 It's official Star Wars Celebration - April 11-15 2019 Chicago

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    There goes my plan of having a fan tips panel and having someone come out dressed as Jar Jar and say "tricked you meesa friends. Thisa panels is about dees holiday special."

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    And then Jar Jar slips and falls and has to go to the ER. Afterwards a bunch of youtube videos get posted of him being carted away, adding ever more to the mystery of his fate.

Sheesh, I can't even imagine the kind of things people would try to pull off if this wasn't tightly regulated.

3. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    Don't know if this was there before, but we now know the high end for hotel prices. Assume these apply to the closest ones:

"In the official hotel block there are no rates over $200 for a single bedded room and the highest rate for a double bedded room is $229."

4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    That's much lower than I was expecting. Where did you see this?

Edit: nevermind. I found it. At that rate, rooms at the Hyatt may go as fast as VIP tickets.

5. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Where are we finding this information? I'm at work and limited on the websites I can bring up without it being obvious.

6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It's on the Celebration site.

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/About/Travel/Hotels/

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Okay, that's what I figured, I'll check it out later.

8. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Another big change. They must have listened to fans, because they have hotels going up at 1:00 CDT. So an hour after tickets go on sale.

9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's not good. I was banking on being able to snag a hotel while everyone else was trying to get VIP. That's really not good. Now once everyone has their tickets, it will be the same instantaneous bottleneck for hotel booking an hour later. Yea, not good.

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm debating going for the Marriott figuring everyone else is going for the Hyatt. We don't know how many rooms are in the block, but I just think the Hyatt may go pretty much instantly.

11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's a good idea. And now especially with that hour in between tickets and hotels going on sale, I might have to borrow a family member's computer and try for both at the same time. I don't think separate tabs or browsers on the same computer would do any better than just having one tab open.

Come to think of it also, it might be a good idea to get your log in information squared away. I don't recall if I had to log in when I made my reservation last time. But that could be a big hiccup if you have to but then don't remember your information or have to retrieve it.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    That’s fantastic news on the price. For those trying for VIP that hour’s grace is good news, but I get why it’s not nice for those choosing hotel over VIP as it increases competition.

Hopefully they’ll have enough rooms that those who try in the first 10-15 minuted can get what they want, but I have a feeling Hyatt may be harder to get than VIP this year (if our thoughts about more VIPs is right)

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, they could have a couple thousand VIPs and they would still go instantly.

The Hyatt has 1,258 rooms. Obviously not all of those will be in the block. It's going to be very competitive.

14. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Warning! those VIP tickets may be gone in 1 minute or less! remember, the "preferred "players" list on them! hotel is my priority.

15. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Wasn't early access just a one time thing? There's been no mention of it for the last few Celebrations and I'm pretty sure we've had VIPs here say they didn't get advance access to Orlando / haven't been offered advanced access to Chicago.

Will definitely be interesting to see which goes first out of Hyatt & VIP. Even if VIP has been increased I think more people will be trying for the hotels. Will be pretty close.

16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, that ended before Disney bought Lucasfilm. There's no presale for past VIPs.

There's a lot of people on their Facebook page asking how many VIPs there are, but it looks like they won't answer.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Same could be true for the Hyatt. :(

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I might be holding on to that original reservation I made after all. I guess we won't know until Tuesday.

I was originally thinking in terms of what @ChrisLyne said, that in the first 15 minutes or so everyone should be able to get what they want. But that was partially contingent on thinking people were going to go for tickets first. Now it's just totally up in the air.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It's really impossible to say. We just don't have enough info and probably won't get it until rooms go live.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The speculation never ends...

ChrisLyne likes this.
  21. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    For those who think that the hotels go up an hour after the actual tickets - not true. Noon CST is still 1 p.m. EST.

22. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The site specifically says noon CDT for tickets and 1 PM CDT for hotels.

23. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    The big difference between hotels and VIP tickets is that one person, in one transaction, could (in the past) get 2 tickets. If everyone bought two, it halved the available VIP badge pool. Everyone needed their own VIP badge, so 125 people could buy all 250 VIP badges.

But hotels work differently. Going with that same number, 250, multiple people can be in one room. So 250 rooms can hold anywhere from 250 - 1,000 people. Assuming the exact same number of VIP badges and hotel rooms; it could take up to 8 times longer for hotels to be sold out.

But there are probably more than 250 rooms available, the two connected hotels have a total of 2,400 rooms. They could fit as few as 2,400 people, and as many as 10,000. It's not realistic that everyone making reservations will have 4 or 5 people, some will have fewer, I know.

And that doesn't even account for people staying at a satellite hotel (there hasn't been official word, but there is NO WAY they won't have a shuttle service)

I've reached the point where I can no longer connect my thoughts to each other, but my point is that hotels are unlikely to get filled to capacity instantly.

24. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    ^ You could be right, but we have no info on how many people typically buy on day one.

25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah there will (most likely) be less VIP badges available than connected rooms, BUT with the shortage of local hotels it's very possible we'll see more people trying for rooms on day one this time.

Put it this way - almost all people who try for VIP will be after rooms as well, but there will also be a lot of people who aren't bothered about VIP also trying for rooms. So supply vs demand for rooms (especially connected rooms) could actually be worse than VIP.