main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT It's possible that Darth Vader tortured and killed the Larses himself.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Biel Ductavis, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Owen and Beru wouldn't be at Obi-Wan levels of Vader personally hating them, but I dunno; it's not exactly uncharacteristic for him to blame others and want to kill them even though they really aren't at fault for what went wrong in his life. Just being reminders of his past could be enough for him to want them dead. And honestly I think that's a better and more accurate depiction of Vader than, say, what some of the comics have been doing with him, where he let's people live even after they've betrayed or tried to kill him. Ugh. Not my Darth Vader.

That said, even if he knew about Owen and Beru, I could see him not bothering to deal with it himself. Vader had other important things to do.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It would be kind of cool to see Vader be upset at hearing the Lars were killed. They did help him and Padme and have a connection to his mother. But Vader wasn't always rational about these things as you say.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the TESB novelization (and, I think the Illustrated Storybook version of TESB, released around the same time as the movie itself, as tie-in media), he actually uses the Lars family's deaths to taunt Luke with:

"I destroyed your family. Take your revenge."

Hanging from some hoses draped across the ceiling, Luke was suspended, having leaped some five meters into the air to escape the carbonite.
    “Impressive,” Vader admitted, “your agility is impressive.”
    Luke dropped back to the platform on the other side of the steaming pit. He reached his hand out and his sword, lying on another part of the platform, flew back into his grip. Immediately the lightsaber ignited.
    Vader’s sword sprang to life at the very same moment. “Ben has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now release your anger. I destroyed your family. Take your revenge.”
    But this time Luke was cautious and more controlled. If he could subdue his anger, as he had finally controlled his fear, he would not be swayed.
    Remember the training, Luke cautioned himself. Remember what Yoda taught! Cast out all hatred and anger and receive the Force!
    Gaining control over his negative feelings, Luke began to advance, ignoring Vader’s goading. He lunged at Vader and, after a quick exchange, began to force him back.
    “Your hatred can give you the power to destroy me,” Vader tempted. “Use it.”
    Luke began to realize just how awesomely powerful his dark enemy was, and softly told himself, “I will not become a slave to the dark side of the Force,” and moved cautiously toward Vader.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Darth Caliban and christophero30 like this.
  4. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    The most I could see is him pausing for a brief moment when he hears it's them. I don't think he'd really get ''upset'' though, even just internally. If he found out he had a son that they raised, maybe he'd feel some regret, but again, he might instead redirect his anger at never knowing/raising his son and take it out on them.

5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    True. Owen may have some respect from Vader for freeing his mom but he's also gone to the dark side so who knows

6. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    It was Cliegg who freed her though, not Owen.

But yeah, it's hard to say what exactly Anakin's feelings are towards his step-family, let alone how "Vader" would think of them.

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Oh yeah my bad ha

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    For all we know, Vader might never have known that they, specifically, were killed. It may have just been noted in the report as, "Tracked objective to farming community. Several locals eliminated to maintain security. Continued search to Mos Eisley."
    On reflection, Vader probably wouldn't have cared much about Owen & Beru getting killed. They were not part of his life. They were part of Anakin Skywalker's life. However, I bet he was really angry at the troopers who let the plans get taken away on some tramp freighter.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    In Legends, he personally ordered their execution.
    I do not think he went down there at all. He left the Tatoo system early on in the story and stayed at the Death Star for the rest of the film until he survived the explosion in his TIE fighter.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Considering how fast some ships could travel in OWK, i think it wouldn't be a problem for Vader to take care of the Larses himself and be back for breakfast on the Death Star

Darth Dnej likes this.