main
side
curve

JCC [Its Spoopy Season] Welcome to the Halloween Countdown

Discussion in 'Community' started by AutumnLight91, Oct 23, 2019.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ll see your “damned winter” and raise you “I hope the damned summer goes away by the 31st.” My kids and I have sweated inside more than one costume. I dressed as Ventress and could not use the arm coverings.

Since we won’t be doing Trunk or Treat at work this year and my kids outgrew trick or treating years ago, I probably won’t do a full costume. I’m looking at a T-shirt that says “Error 404: Costume Not Found.”

I haven’t had a normal Halloween in this house because last year was 2020 and in 2019, Halloween was stalled due to tornadoes. ****ing tornadoes. I’m about to buy a big bag of candy and hope my doorbell rings every five minutes this year.

Meanwhile I’ve been enjoying various pumpkin beers and Halloween specials on TV. And Halloween stories at work.

Rew and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 11, 2013
    I always try to watch a lot of horror movies every October, in the buildup to the 31st (and on Halloween itself, I tend to do a Halloween 3: Season of the Witch/Trick 'r Treat double feature). I usually try to hit a mix of stuff from different sub-genres, countries, and eras - plus some staples, like the '30s-'50s Universal Monsters movies, and a deep dive into a certain ongoing franchise (last year was the Chucky movies, this year I might do A Nightmare on Elm Street and its sequels). So far this year I've mostly done older stuff (the most recently released on my list so far being from 1962), and apart from one all are American releases. Last year I watched a bit of J-Horror that I hadn't seen before; I'd like to try out some Italian giallo films that I haven't seen this month. Oh, plus a couple new theatrical releases, with Lamb as my most anticipated among those.

So far I've watched the following:

House on Haunted Hill (1959)
    Carnival of Souls (1962) - first viewing
    The Wolf Man (1941)
    Häxan (1922) - first viewing
    White Zombie (1932)

blackmyron, Darth_Foo and TCF-1138 like this.
  3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2018
    Sorry I've been busy lately. We finished the play and and now I'm fully on with any spare time in helping with the escape room that's being built on a bus. Halloween themed of course.

But here you go

Seldes_Katne likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films Manager and Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Nice! A sort of forgotten gem that was way ahead of its time. If you want to watch more Scandinavian silent era horror, I recommend Körkarlen (The Phantom Carriage) (1921). It's not scary, but it's got a wonderful spooky atmosphere.
    And it takes place where I live, so that gives it a special place in my heart.

I've watched The Shining, Doctor Sleep, The Fog, The Changeling, Ghost Stories, and Dark Water (Japanese original) so far.
    On my to-watch list I have Poltergeist, The Omen, Ringu and The Ring, The Orphanage, The Others, The Gift, The Conjuring 3, Sleepy Hollow and Halloween (original). I'm also considering watching Skuggornas Hus, a Swedish miniseries from the 90s, directed by Mikael Håfström. Scared me half to death when I was a kid.
    I'll probably watch the Evil Dead movies as well, as I almost always do around this time of year.
    And I found a DVD of 33 Japanese horror short films at a second hand store recently, so I'll give those a shot. No idea what quality to expect though.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 11, 2013
    That one was one of my first viewings last year and I really loved it.

Noroi is another Japanese horror film I watched last year that I found to be incredibly effective. I'm not usually the biggest fan of found footage (though I do really like the first The Blair Witch Project) but I think Noroi has probably surpassed that as perhaps my favorite film in the genre I've ever seen. It's a deeply unsettling movie.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  6. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Fine then! :). Love the 404 costume not found.

I get that your summers can be brutal but our august here was like one of the hottest on record. I’m quite ready for fall, actually.

Yes, enjoying the various fall beers like Octoberfests, some stouts and a few harvest flavored ales. Yummy stuff. I expect a semi normal return to Halloween this year but as I said, we all congregate at one house. The kids seem to like it though. TONS of candy and stuff handed out. And of course, any kid that shows up in a star wars costume gets to deal with me coming out with the light saber ready to do battle!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
  9. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    I love some foxtrot, but that has to be one of the most messed up things Jason has done lol

Sarge likes this.
  10. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Currently watching Dracula's Daughter 1936. The quality of the Blu-ray is astounding. It probably hasn't looked this good since 1936. Don't know if I should post review here or the movie thread.

11. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Do movie thread. More traffic. Or both doesn't matter lol

12. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    What the holy hell is this? It's going to be in the 70s for at least 10 days. If I wanted to binge-watch my favorite horror flicks in my short-pants, rather than in luscious, blanket-swathed sweater-weather, I'd move down South. Climate Catastrophe strikes again.

Can anyone recommend quality horror films to watch in the heat? The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hitcher come to mind.

13. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    You could just listen to the cicadas outside and imagine a horror scenario.

You could watch the 50s movie THEM! Or The Naked Jungle

14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I got a rock.

Darth_Foo and AutumnLight91 like this.
  15. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    I have paper, you lose

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  16. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
  18. Darth_Foo

Feb 24, 2003
    I grew up in the 80's in the middle of the woods Pennsylvania. Seriously the nearest traffic light was over 2 miles away and the nearest grocery store a 30min drive. Halloween there was awesome! Most of the streets didn't have lights once you got a certain distance from Main Street so while trick-or-treating the only light you had to go by was your flashlight and people's outdoor decorations. I would get so scared but loved it. One year a bunch of us kids TP-ed the trees lining the side roads. For some reason no one took it all down. That Halloween night was warmer than usual and the TP gently flowing in the dark breeze was actually a little spooky.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 9

May 18, 2017
    Me and my friends were chased by older kids when I was 10. They caught my friend Mike, tossed him over a hedge, and stole his candy. So my mom had us all give him some of our candy.

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  21. Darth_Foo

Feb 24, 2003
    @christophero30
    That's awful. I hope the holiday wasn't ruined for your friend. At least he had you guys to share. I'll never understand how some people are able to bully a kid like that. I mean me and my brothers would talk trash and wrestle around but we didn't hurt each other intentionally for fun.

22. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 9

May 18, 2017
    It was okay, thanks. He wasn't hurt, and we had a nice party at.my house.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
  25. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018