main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit It's time to say goodbye in 2018, and hello again in 2019

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, Aug 19, 2018.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I have come to say goodbye to everyone on these forums.
    Iv been on the forums off and on since 2002. Both through the good, the bad and in the case of the long gone Gomer tonic, the unintentionally hilarious. But now it's time for me to leave.
    I loved Starwars Lit EU ever since I was a young child picking up paperback copy of Heir to the Empire at the Airport, for something to read on the long journey to the USA.

Ever since Lucas sold to Disney (a terrible mistake) I'd been full of foreboding of how they would treat the property and 4 movies and 1 cartoon series in they have (sadly) fulfilled my every expectation in that regard.
    The final straw was the latest Thrawn story. Did I hate it no. There was even some good moments in it but for me it was ultimately empty. It didn't really add anything or make me excited to read another book in the series. It was just there. Compare that to when I finished Heir and Dark Force Rising and I was deseperate to get Last Command to read how it ends or even in later years reading Vision of the Future after Spector. That excitement is just not there anymore for me.

I no longer enjoy the Starwars and feel I'm being to negative just coming on here to criticise something. Now I no longer have the desire or wherewithal to stick around and watch Disney flog a dead horse or aid and abett them doing that by spending money on it so I thought I'd stop.

So so long everyone, its been fun take care

Regards

2. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    @fett 4 I disagree with you, it was not a offer mistake.

And all of those are good works. You just didn't want to except change. Thawn new book was not empty and Rebels was a fulfilled show with great characters and stories. The movies are pretty good too. You just were mad because some books were not consisder canon.

Throw it will be sad, who will i argue with.

So goodbye

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  3. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Ok may have gotten overboard.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hey Fett, can I come too? We seem to have a lot of heartless noobs lately. Criticism of other posters is at a high, empathy is at a low.

I'll miss you, and the many Duros jokes you provided. I didn't always agree with you on everything, but none of us do about everything. I liked how your cynicism was actually honest and had an explanation. It wasn't just there to be contradictory.

Please don't be a stranger. Visit now and again.... we lost too many good ones the last few years.

5. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    @Barriss_Coffee don't go, i seen you on the boards alot, i like the stuff you write

6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    No! Don't go.

Okay, I get that. I've left boards, and friendships, because they were just making me feel like all I could be was negative.

Goodbye, and best of luck out there in the wild. I have something else to add, but I think someone else said it better...

No! Don't go.

Okay, I get that, too.

This.

Barriss said it better than I would've.

(Side note: I've only read, like, five SW novels in the last decade. Why am I still here?)

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

7. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Way does everyone what to leave.

Guys i know you are critcal, but its hard i love the new canon stuff way. Way do you guys not give it a chance or you not letting youself enjoy it.

@dARTh Duck don't go, please

8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd say that responses like "you just were mad because some books were not consisder canon. Throw it will be sad, who will i argue with. So goodbye" don't help in the slightest, and wouldn't really make people want to stick around to discuss things they already aren't interested in.

Rax, Sith Iratus, jSarek and 8 others like this.
  9. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Ok, fair point. I just don't want so many people to leave the forums

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Sorry friend. I hope you'll reconsider staying to discuss Legends.

Rax, mnjedi, DarthJaceus and 4 others like this.
  11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Then try not to enter into arguments over people's personal taste.

12. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    @Coherent Axe But the thing is, you can still love Star Wars i mean you can still read and remmber the old stuff and talk about on here.

I understand, i can get a little overboard

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assumed people stayed for the community if not the Saga, tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    I feel bad hears i better goodbye

Fett 4, i may have disagreed with you on New Canon a lot, like Rebels, but we both loved Legends.

So long friend, hope you come back one day.

fett 4 likes this.
  15. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Sorry to see you go Fett. Come back and visit from time to time.

The boards do seem awfully negative at the moment, and not the good kind of negative where people offer thoughtful responses, just the bad kind where it’s just negative to be negative.

So while I probably didn’t agree with a lot of your stances, at least you put effort into your critiques.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Best wishes to you @fett 4. I know how it feels when you think the franchise doesn't have to offer anything interesting to you anymore. But, I hope that you will at least occasionally check what's going on with Star Wars - maybe something will come up that will pull you back.

17. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm sorry to see you go. I am mostly a lurker in these parts, but I've enjoyed reading your posts.

I haven't read a single piece of the NEU. Not because I think it will be bad, but because I simply have no interest in getting into any of it. So far my interest in the new canon has been limited to the movies and Rebels. I don't think I'll be watching Resistance, either.

But I still stick around... Partly out of habit, partly because there are still threads and discussions about Legends, and partly because there are still some great Litizens whose posts are a delight to read.

I hope you change your mind and drop by from time to time.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While it's a shame you feel you have to leave, I can see the logic.

There's the chatter about this and that and even if you feel you're done, you're still inclined to give it that chance and then it disappoints and around you go.

Nor does the forum environment help, I know I've become a lot more choosy about which threads I post in because of it.

Still, in the end, the gambling ad line seems fitting: When the fun stops, stop.

Force Smuggler, RafSwi7 and fett 4 like this.
  19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I understand the feeling, @fett 4 , and that's what led me to drastically decrease my activity on Wookieepedia. Still, it's sad to see one of us go. Do come and say hello sometimes, though!

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Thank you for many of the kind responses. To many posters to list but thank you all, its appreciated.
    Yes the forum has changed a bit recently but that wouldnt be enough to drive me off, its simply the lack of interest in where Starwars is going. I just no longer care. E9.... Resistance .... means nothing to me, same with the next in the Thrawn series.

Saying I don't like the direction is assuming I happen to think they have a direction in the first place. I don't think they do apart from sell as much as you can.

Certainly discussing old EU Legends stories is fun and I'd be up for them but those threads are few and far between nowadays

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I can't blame you, I share many of your opinions on the new Star Wars. I still come here partly out of habit and partly out of a desperate hope for something better to show up. Well, and to discuss old EU and not like I post half as much as I used to. Its not like everything has been awful, but not much has been great. Its probably better to find something more fun to spend your time on. Good-bye and good luck.

22. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    @fett 4 i agree on Resistance, not looking forward to the show.

Edited: Wait this gives me a good idea

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I didn't say I was going. I just don't know why I'm here.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Master_Rebado likes this.
  24. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    oh ok, i am planing to make a thread for Legends

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    @fett 4

Thanks for the greatest thread in the history of the Literature forum.