main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ITT...I'm Batman (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Import_Jedi, Oct 27, 2010.

1. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What a pity.

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Not the finest moment for Batman, but The Riddler did one of the finest ever performances of Jim Carrey which, to date, remains unrivaled in the franchise's history

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Still ticked we never got David Tennant as Riddler.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not because we ended up with Kilgrave. I think it's far less likely he would have taken that role if he had played both The Doctor and Riddler. Jokes aside, I loved Jim as the Riddler but I am curious as to what Robin Williams would have brought to the role.

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin is another I would have liked to have seen.

Juliet316 and vin like this.
  6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    The Titans Deathstroke is pretty great. Esai Morales does a great job of making him very cold and clinical while also having a family he cares about. Titans is mostly a mess but whenever it focused on Deathstroke it was pretty stellar.

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Starring Harvey Dent as the Joker and Jim Carrey as Jim Carrey

Luke02 likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My vote would be for Jim Rash as the next live action Riddler. I really like his VO work in the Harley Quinn animated show.
    For Harvey, my mind goes to James McAvoy as I love his acting in Split and I think he could pull off the dual personalities really well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    darthcaedus1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, but would he want to play another comic book character after playing Professor X?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm not sure. Chris Evans was Human Torch for 2 movies and went on to be Captain America for 6+ movies.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And got burnt out on playing Cap for 6 movies.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Jules, it’s fancasting, let it be :p

Juliet316 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I thought Frank Gorshin's turn was far better, every bit as unhinged as Carrey's, but also menacing when need be.

On a related note, acting students ought to study the Burton and Schumacher flicks: the former demonstrates how to properly chew the scenery, while the latter demonstrates how not to.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I still think that the tone and tenor of the BTAS Riddler, with John Glover’s performance, was the kind of styling Riddler should have, where it sounds like he’s a having fun, but he’s really not the type of guy you can afford to laugh at most of the time, and where Batman is the one usually cheating against him rather than the other way around.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Oh, I was focused on live-action. BTAS definitely featured the best iteration of The Riddler; hell, it had the best iterations of every character.

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Overall, I’d agree... though there are a small handful fo exceptions: Bane, for instance, is better handled by Arkham Origins and Dark Knight Rises, and time me, the Young Justice Cartoon is ahead of BTAS in regards to the Batfamily simply because it actually has all 4 boy Robins established in its existence, and actually has Spoiler and Orphan as well as Batgirl.

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    The ensemble acting in the Burton films is questioning.

By 'ensemble', I mean the crowds - especially those gathered of the Mayor's speech.

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  19. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Is this a good thread to hop into and cite Batman Returns as the best Batman film?

If I really had to rank them, my ranking would probably look something like this...

Batman Returns
    The Batman
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight

Batman
    Batman Forever
    Batman & Robin
    The Dark Knight Rises

The two Burton films' Gothic madhouse take on Gotham is just so incredibly up my alley, and I really love all of the grime and sleaziness that comes along with The Batman's neo-noir take on the material (I've been waiting for a proper detective story Batman movie for a long time). Batman Begins edges out The Dark Knight for actually putting a Gotham with a sense of style that isn't just Chicago on screen, otherwise I'd rate the two about the same.

I haven't seen the 60s film but I intend to soon. I also haven't seen the Snyder films and... I'm not sure if I ever intend to.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Batman Returns is great! I love both of Burton's movies. And the 1966 Batman is an absolute joy. So goofy, so campy, so fun, and like everyone else I took it completely serious as a kid.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    How many Batman threads are there?!

S. Raw Rats likes this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    1/50th the number of marvel threads.

PymParticles likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Burton movies are great to remember a time when Batman villains looked and behaved like the things they were named after instead of just loosely based on something in order to be grounded.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Were we really missing a time when hissing like a cat was the extent of Catwoman’s characterization?

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well no, Selina should have a good character development in addition to that kind of thing (and a whip).

So should Penguin, but he also should have a gadget umbrella and preferably a long nose

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022