main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't even have one - I have a breakfast bar in the kitchen. The flat doesn't have a dedicated dining room.

Master_Lok likes this.
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Since my family and I moved to our new house, we've made it a point to have dinner at the table. Before, we would just use trays and eat supper while watching TV.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    When I was growing up we had a kitchen table for regular family meals and a dining room/table for more formal occasions. My parents used it more for entertaining than for family meals.

Master_Lok and PCCViking like this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Mom and I eat together as much as possible. Generally her room, or the kitchenette dining room table. It’s been great to do this.

Alas, my rather old fan died: which means my Air Conditioning uniform of hooded sweatshirt & earplugs on a humid, upper 80s day - can’t wear the hood up (or a hat) at work, which makes things not great for my sinuses, but at home I can.

Thinking of buying a Dyson heater/fan/air purifier once the computer situation is sorted.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Problem with the Dyson stuff is it's pretty expensive - at least it is in the UK. You could buy a bunch of non-Dyson fans for the same price.

Master_Lok likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    True. They’re not cheap in the States either. No way I’d spend what they’re asking for their hair dryer.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Luckily my hair is short - I don't really need one (but I have a cheap one). If I needed a new vacuum cleaner I might take a look at Dyson's but my Vax works fine for now. (When Dyson first came out and I needed a new vacuum the reviews said the Dyson was bad on pet hairs. I had two cats at the time so I went with the Vax.)

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I have a job interview a week on Monday for a promotion at work.

I'm the only one eligible for the job who works there across the entire company (Europe wide) and I've been informed they have to go external as it's a managerial role :(

If it wasn't managerial I'd just be given it

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hope you get it anyway. Maybe external is just more of a formality so they can say they did it.

Master_Lok likes this.
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah they are probably required by law to open it up to outside candidates, but I hope you still get it!

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Now that the World Cup and Wimbledon are both over, I don't have any sports stuff to watch on my computer while I'm working. What am I supposed to do?!

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    There's Tour de France, and next month: NFL preseason. :)

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    NFL pre-season is during the weekends and evenings. And I can't stand the Tour de France, it's been totally ruined for me by Lance Armstrong. Fair or not, I just suspect many of them of being cheaters now.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I watched some of the Tour de France today but tomorrow is a rest day. Might catch up on some recorded stuff if no good films are on.

16. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    I met my favorite band and due to the lighting of the venue, I totally look like a vampire next to the guys. I don’t really want to post the picture on social media until I figure out a way to fix the coloring. I am a redhead, but I look like a total Twilight vampire, sparkles and all.

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Must be the week when all my old appliances die: first my floor fan, now my wind up alarm clock.

Not that I need to worry about the latter much as my body alarm always wakes me up.:rolleyes: Like right now, almost two hours early.:rolleyes:

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_sigh]Of course, now I want a Memoriam UK shirt that just has the awesome back print on the front of the shirt:

Old School Death Metal Birmingham UK

Or maybe I’ll order another of this shirt, cut out the collar and wear it backwards.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I feel like we're all going to die in this heat.

Master_Lok likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Indeed it’s brutal.

And the ancient electrical in the apartment ensures that only one AC can run in our apartment - which has to be mom’s room. That’s fine.

Unfortunately, the electrical warning sign I saw upstairs means I have to retire everything up there: dvd player, tv and my iMac. So I have to burn as many movies as I can in the next few days, back up and permanently take the iMac offline.

We have to call the landlord about this, because it’s been a problem for years, but mom’s AC only heightens it.

This is probably why I lost the fan and wind up alarm clock in my bedroom over the weekend, as I think our bedrooms and that part of the upstairs are on the same circuit.:(

The irony is part of my issues with moving to PCs was making sure my workflow was uninterrupted, meanwhile it’s our electrical that will shift my usage, I guess it’s time to start working on my own content. If this isn’t a sign of that, I do not know what is.

I do not dare set anything but a laptop up downstairs now either.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    At 10am the heat index was already 98 degrees. Lord help us.

22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    My interview has been pushed back and won't be on Monday now, no new date set yet.

I now get to go on holiday without worrying about the outcome of an interview. Instead I now get to go on holiday worrying about the actual interview

And to top it all off they've changed the Twitters

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ugh! Yes, why do websites keep breaking what doesn't need fixing in the first place?

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I accidentally took two allergy pills this morning and I'm drowsy as hell.

Or maybe it's mostly because it's Monday.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What kind of allergy pills? Because if I take any benadryl during the day, I'm done.