main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Arrows, for my characters that could use them; and Northman Imbued Armour, for my female shaman, Debgate, whom I have since (years ago) brought into my SW roleplaying on the Boards, because when people described EverQuest as Ever Crack, they were not ******* kidding.

Lordban likes this.
  2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    With Orlando being increasingly shut down every few days and my career in hospitality on unexpected (and un-budgeted) hiatus for the foreseeable future, I've been hunting for jobs. Resorting to my other fields of study, I've applied to dozens of positions at hospitals, and in the hope to just start earning income again, I've also applied at every grocery store.

Walmart just called me back with a job offer as a stocker. Not as glamorous as the other positions I applied for, but it's income, and they told me on the phone that they've opened up hundreds of positions in Central Florida to help accommodate the suddenly disbanded hospitality and tourism industry workers. The phone interviewer said that Walmart is speeding up the hiring process to help Orlando folks out. She asked if I'd be okay with the hourly wage (which is less than half of my normal income, but since I'm currently not generating that kind of income at the moment, I said "something is better than nothing") and she offered me one of two shift types.

After the phone interview, she said that I can expect to have orientation on Thursday.

It's odd. I dislike Walmart. I don't shop there because of the store environment and a bit of personal reasons. But this community outreach from them is...unexpected. I've heard from other coworkers from the hospitality industry that Walmart has been very supportive and helpful in getting Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and restaurant and hotel employees back to work.

Side note, I wonder if grocery store employees get dibs on toilet paper?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Master_Lok, LAJ_FETT and Sith-I-5 like this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @Ezio Skywalker Glad you have another job. It is tough working for a company you are not fond of, but I hope this turns out okay for you.

And my complaint: It would be nice for Amazon to get some more cleaning supplies in.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Ezio Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My mom is coming to visit tomorrow (I have tomorrow and Thursday off) but we can only go for a walk 6 feet apart.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Trying to get my unemployment going. After a 2 hour hold a very helpful operator would later get my app finished. Dude tells me they normally process 5,000 applicants a week. The system can handle up to 20,000. Last week they got 100,000 and looks to be the same this week so the web portion is very hard to get to. So I must now wait for a low traffic time and hope my name and password actually work.

Master_Lok and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    People in the UK have been having problems with the website for Universal Credit as well - it isn't just you. If the website is 24 hours (some go down if backups are being taken) try for post-midnight or pre-6AM local time.

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ruh roe. My apartment complex has a covid-19 case. Email says this does not impact me and the resident is in quarantine.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ouch. Increase the hand washing when you go outside your apartment through the complex.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @VadersLaMent I can vouch filing for unemployment during off hours. Wish you all the best and good health.

10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    8+ is acting increasingly wonky (just saw a line of red light as it was updating to iOS13[face_hypnotized]), and I am waiting for Apple to release new phones (Anything without a notch). I need this phone to hang in until I am actually at work and settled in the job. [face_praying]

Spent significant coin on work from home tech recently, so I’d like to skip upgrading the phone until I want to.

>>>
    And Instacart delivery is obscenely expensive. Will happily hug my local grocery chain once they get back up and running.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm reading The Two Towers for the first time. So I don't really want to watch TTT right now, but I would not mind watching Fellowship. But Fellowship is not on Netflix, but TTT is. wtf

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    They change Faramir's character in the movie drastically from how he is in the book.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so here in the UK Sky have been showing Crisis crossover and they're up to #5 but guess what - they've missed out #2 because they didn't buy Batwoman !

14. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Apparently, someone has tried stalking my mom on Facebook. She may have nipped it in the bud, but we'll have to keep a close eye on it.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I hope your mom stays safe!

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Thanks.

17. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I have this soda. I don't really want to drink all of it. I definitely want to drink some of it. But then if I drink some of it and throw the rest away, that's wasteful. But if I don't have any then I miss out on having any soda that I so badly want to have right now. It's cold. It looks refreshing. I can justify having a little bit. But I can also justify not having any at all. This is causing me great turmoil right now.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Is it me or is the post office running slow?

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If you go by the news reports, their probably winding down in order to close up shop in June.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Wait, WHAT?

I saw some mutterings on Twitter, but...

Oy.

Speaking of Twitter, I have to let my account fade into the sunset as work is pretty hardcore on non offensive materials. Yes, it's capitulating and confirming which makes my toes curl, but at the same time, I like this job.
    I know the electronic foreign fringe trail I cultivated will never be fully erased, but I can enjoy those in private.

The job is a huge step up for me, and if my fannish expression has to be confined to Star Wars, Gatchaman, birds, and cats online, I'll live. Stepping away from that account will be sad, but it's not the first time I quit Twitter. If I was making money writing about Italian and Asian horror that would be different, but I am not (and frankly, I'm glad. There are so many talented writers out there doing a great job).

Teenaged me would hate my guts rights now.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    How is that people who make pizza as a job cut it like they're having a seizure?

22. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    The AUS Post website hasn't updated the tracking info for something I bought a week ago. Where is it?? :(

23. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I am a freelance contractor, but the company that I currently work for has made all their staff who are furloughed and at home, give up their company cars to staff who aren't furloughed and who otherwise travel together to sites in company vans, in order to isolate them from each other.

I would be pretty furious about this because the car is part of these workers' remuneration package, they forego a monetary car allowance to have the car instead and they pay a benefit-in-kind tax against the vehicle. Plus, if you have a company car as part of your package, you aren't likely to just have another car on standby to use at evenings or weekends. We might be on lock-down, but there are still journeys to make for supplies etc

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  24. Discipulus

Discipulus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 1, 2019
    Little Seizures?

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's not coming from overseas, is it? I've had that happen with the Amazon UK tracking if books I order are coming from the German warehouse. The tracking shows them in Germany for a few days and then in the UK.

JediYvette likes this.