main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    If you can proxy through France and get on Google, there's a cute surprise waiting for you on their default search page for the next 7 days. They've been forced to publicize a court decision that demands they pay a €150Mn fine :p and publically give clear rules for the use of Google Ads for the next five years.

Of course, Google appealed. Can't have fair use enforced on them ;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    LAJ_FETT and PCCViking like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I bought some offbrand chocolate chip cookies. Though they taste fine they do not have the flip top seal so I have to resort to using a bag clip to keep it closed.

[​IMG]

PCCViking, Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Fans were not there.

[​IMG]

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So we upgrade to FiOS. The family downstairs has FiOS and I am trying to pull up YouTube on my 7th gen iPad and it just won’t do it.:rolleyes: Moved all around the house (including right near the routers), nope. Finally decided to reboot the iPad. That worked.[face_sigh]

It seems like this is an iOS software bug / Apple antenna design thing. It wouldn’t surprise me since the antenna on the iPad Pros are fantastic (also much newer tech inside), but the Pros are a waste of money in my experience. Hoping the 8th gen iPad will have better antennas and more RAM. [face_sigh]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Master_Lok likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [:D] Thanks. I do not want to be going Marvin The Martian about this now.

It may also be a google thing in the latest Safari (Need YouTube bookmarked instead of searching on Google. Google’s web browser and Safari have not played nice in years.) Do not have Google apps installed for the obvious reason.[face_sigh]

Glad there is a fix for the streaming struggle. This is why I prefer physical media.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I usually prefer physical media, too - make exceptions for reasons of convenience sometimes, but wish I didn't have to.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    My laptop is starting to run very hot when playing games, is very slow to turn on in the morning and as of today, has acquired an unexpected sudden slow down and total stall in processing.

I'm not happy, I replace my system every 4 years and this one still has around 6 months to run before I look to replace. It's too soon :(

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Have you run a virus and malware scan on it recently? Maybe t's doing something in the background to cause the slowness..

Princess_Tina, Juliet316 and Lordban like this.
  10. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    This is one check to make.

Going to suggest another verification - did its ventilators get clogged?

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Virus and Malware ran yesterday morning.

That afternoon it started being a tit [face_plain]

Ventilators were cleaned about a month back and it sits on a cooling basefan too.

It appears to be behaving now. I am erring on the side of caution though and have started specing out a replacement system

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Most gaming laptops run hot because of the cpu and gpu running on turbo or overclocked speeds for some periods of time*. I love Asus’ designs as they are at least thinking about cooling and constantly tweaking their heat sinks, fans and such. Not sure if they use vapor chambers for cooling like Razer does in their advanced models.

*Forget if MSI or Aero/Gigabyte’s latest ran less hot/fans not going constantly.

And my first person sigh...still thinking about an Asus machine in spite of not needing one for work. Wish Apple would consider some cooling options like their PC brethren.

Good luck with whatever you choose @FatBurt

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so - cos of the lockdown all the interviews on tv and radio are being done via the internet , and they all sound like they're talking thru a drainpipe* . With all this amazing technology why can't they sort this out?
    *any techies know the reason for this ?

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd imagine bandwidth issues might have something to do with it - if you have multiple people working from home or watching internet TV/Youtube your internet will probably slow down. This presupposes that the people know how to use things like Zoom in the first place. I've seen a whole bunch on the BBC News here that forget to unmute so their mouths are moving but there's no sound.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Bold happened constantly here (and it did again after the upgrade :(, but I am hoping that is due to Apple’s tech hw & sw instead of both families fighting for bandwidth again), so

Lack of Zoom knowledge is certainly possible (raises hand)...also could be what microphones folks are using (built into the computer or stand alone). A somewhat known public tv chef has been filming little snippets from home, and his set up -including the microphone- has been less than stellar.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The store I bought hot dogs at doesn’t have hot dog rolls.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I sometimes eat them more like sausages - hot dogs and Heinz Beans are a good lunch combo.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    We have a local cattle company that makes what was voted as the nation's best hotdog. Mmmm just got some more of them.

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So I head back out to work tonight, and the Dodgers next two games are against the Astros...

[​IMG].

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  20. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    After five months of being on COVID furlough and endless job hunts, assessments, and interviews, I finally got a job offer in tech as an IT rep. However, after digging into employee reviews on Indeed and Glassdoor, I'm concerned that this is a sales job dressed up as a tech job.

The assessment was much easier than all the other assessments I'd had to do for other jobs, but it did ask some general UI stuff. However, the interviewer didn't ask a single tech-related question. Mostly it was just those generic STAR-format questions.

So now I'm stressing about what to do. Unemployment drama is hell, but at least it ultimately keeps me and my kids afloat by coming just about $2k less than my usual pre-furlough income. This new job would pay $1k less than unemployment, which would make things much tighter as a single parent of two kids, but the unemployment drama is such a hell that I'm willing to take that hit and cannibalize savings if it's for a job I'm interested in (because I would believe in my chances at moving up).

But I'm not interested in a sales job. My stress level is through the roof right now. I've got my kids, bills, I'll be having to home-school them in fall, and there's no sign that my pre-covid job/income is returning any time soon.

You build your entire life around the income you're making. You base your home, your car, your other expenses, and savings on that. You build your kids' lives on that. Your plans for the future on that. Having it all pulled out from under you is...quite an experience.

I think I was just so happy to have secured a job offer earlier today that I didn't think to do more digging until this evening. But do I go back to holding out for a job that will come close to my old income, or just take something even if it will ultimately still lead to me losing everything?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Look into every source you can find. Google the hell out of the company. I'm sure there's a lot more out there on them than just employee reviews on indeed and glassdoor. There might even be Reddit threads about it if that's a job posting that gets put out there often. For that matter, go on Reddit yourself and ask around on tech sub-reddits or from ones where you live. It could be a valuable resource. I've seen job postings like that before that offer like Tech Support/Sales, but are exclusively sales, with the only Tech Support you do being what you offer on a sales call. If your gut tells you not to go with it, I'd say stick with that. You don't want to risk losing your unemployment and then realize this job isn't at all what you thought it was going to be. They'll replace you in an afternoon, but you'll be left with all kinds of stuff to deal with. Go with what's the most secure right now. Think about it rationally, not because you are wanting to find a job so soon.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Yeah, thank you. I think the desperation for finding work after so long on furlough is making every opportunity seem more wonderful than it might really be. It's kind of a sad situation. You hear about Congress arguing that the COVID Unemployment relief measures discourage people from looking for work--but they don't talk about the fact that the work that's available is typically entry level and therefore low-income.

For those of us who are trying to raise children, those jobs won't keep us afloat. A lot of us want to work--we want to go back to our lives. But taking a low-paying job that won't prevent our eventual defaults on bills or evictions on homes is more of a de-incentive than COVID-unemployment relief, imo.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Lordban, MotivateR5D4 and Master_Lok like this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Ezio Skywalker hope the job situation sorts itself out soon. I know how challenging unemployment can be.
    [:D]

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_sigh]Darn, Amazon.de wants me to pay $30 to ship 3 blu rays to the States (almost as much as the blu rays themselves)...:(

So I will wait then.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I noticed yesterday that shipping rates to the US were way up from normal at all the European amazons (including UK) I usually buy from and I don't know what to say, you think it will stay that way for long?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020