main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Sorry to hear. Where are they headed? Im in upstate, NY and wont be retiring here for a few reasons. The main 2 are the taxes and the weather though. We want to end up some place reasonable close though so no west coast or too far west/south. No Florida.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks. Where? South Carolina, due to Brother-in-Law’s family and much lower taxes. Lots of folks from the Northeast are moving to the Carolinas. She told me the city, but I forgot the name of it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Rew and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Don't think a lot of people will be thinking about Texas after this week.

darthhelinith and Rew like this.
  4. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Yep - thats the deal. Amazingly, people tend to bolt from places that take too much of their money. Shocking. ;)

Nope, not cool, lol.

5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I cannot believe what people are going through there. Just awful.

@QUIGONMIKE yep.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I’m going through it in Austin!!!!! We have power, but no heat or water. We are sheltering in our bedroom with all the animals. Most of my friends either don’t have power or have had their apartments flooded because of burst pipes because they weren’t insulated for this weather.

I just want to keep screaming bloody murder at our state leaders that put us in this situation and are profiting from PEOPLE FREEZING TO DEATH IN THEIR HOMES AND THE STREET.

I don’t want to sound hysterical but I’ve been so angry and not sure how to process it. I have been extremely lucky during what is definitely a humanitarian disaster.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    darthhelinith, Rew and Emperor Ferus like this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You have every right to be. Your local government failed you. Badly.

8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Bacon164
    Hoping you get heat and water back very soon. You have every right and then some to be this angry. Unreal.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    @Bacon164 You should absolutely be angry, there's nothing wrong with that, quite the opposite. Here's hoping you will all make it through before long, and that afterwards, you'll be kicking some serious ass.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, I correctly called this easy to predict shot. Luckily they're also going to allow double-masking, so my current strategy of using a cloth mask on top of my respirator so I can get two uses out of the respirator spaced out by 5-7 days is perfectly valid. Love to get supply strategies from hospital emergency protocols.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    After a bit of wrangling and a few mornings being already up at 3AM, I finally managed to grant myself a 3.5 day almost-holiday (I still have to fill in VAT).

I like having a small business in France... x)

Master_Lok, Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Ooh, I’m in SC! The capital city of Columbia in fact. Do you know whereabouts in the state she went? (I know you said you don’t remember the city.)

And yeah, both taxes and property values down here are generously low, but the downside (and direct consequence) of that is deplorable infrastructure. :oops:

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [:D] Sorry about the infrastructure Rew...I know she’s moving inland. I think somewhere near Tennessee.

I really wish we were going with her, as I feel like it’s time for me to leave New York - never thought I’d think that way but here we are (Mom isn’t physically able to move right now though.:()

I may have questions if we follow her though.

Brother-in-law already won a glaring contest with the new neighbor [face_laugh]. Yeah, New Yorkers are real good at the glare. Brother-in-law is very low key, nice so he’ll fit right in. Sis, well, I hope she will do okay down there. [face_batting]

Thank you for the kindness and enthusiasm.

14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah, South Carolinians have no proficiency with the glare. Instead, passive aggressively pretending to be your friend while unloading on all your perceived faults the moment your back is turned with a smile on one’s face (“Bless their heart!”) has basically been elevated to an art form. :p

But a lot of us are genuinely nice!

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  15. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Honestly, our infrastructure here isn’t all that great either. Lots of roads are minefields of potholes. Bridges barely holding on. Some Public parks need work. The thing is that with high taxes you at least hope you’d get something for all that money you pay. I’m still trying to figure out what the hell they spend it on other than themselves. So, IMO this is why people are leaving. High taxes and lots of red tape with no tangible benefits. We have maybe five years left and we’re done. Not retiring here under any circumstances.

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh]

Ah, the Bless Your Heart, I’ll warn sis about that.:p She was a bit taken aback by the politeness she experienced when they closed on the house in SC recently. It’s not NYC...as my brother-in-law’s joke goes: “Can you tell me where Grand Central Station is? Or should I go %#*! myself?!”[face_laugh]:cool:

There are genuinely nice folks here too. [face_batting]

I hope everything is okay with you, Rew.

Dreading dealing with the landlord today about the pot smoking here.

I wish there was some way to prevent it from coming into our apartment, but spending upwards of $70 a month on odor neutralizing sprays and investing in an air purifier is out of the question unless all the tenants below us want to flip that bill including sprays and filters.

Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I can't figure out how to take HDR screen captures. Steam, Afterburner, Windows Game Bar all look washed out.

18. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Yesterday we went out after the end of snowmaggedon in TX and it was a little too hot in the sun.

Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've just had to buy a new car so my eldest can learn to drive as adding her to my car would increase the insurance by £1k a year
    In buying my new car, I've restructured a loan I had and took an additional £8k out to cover the cost of changing to a newer car.

Increasing my loan and adding 1yr to the loan term has reduced my monthly payments by £100 as I'm now on a better interest rate.
    Changing my car means I also pay off my existing finance deal which will save me £150 a month.

I'm now 250 per month better off and have a new car so my daughter can learn to drive.

I don't like the car I'm buying and slightly resent having to do it [face_plain]

Rew, Master_Lok and solojones like this.
  20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Free Spotify will no longer cast to devices. It's free, so I can't really complain, but... I'm complaining anyway. It sucks balls.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hulu. Has. Live. Sports.

Hulu. Has. Live. Sports.

HULU HAS LIVE SPORTS

22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Quickest way to get me to block a number: get your call standard to call me simultaneously on my workline and my cell line.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    On a similar note, hi, I'm Zack Snyder, and I'm so excited to give you your first glimpse of my version of Justice League...

Makes me long for the return of the rotten CGI chicken rapping in Czech about mixed nuts.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    LinkedIn blows. Just heard from a job offer well above my skillset that is out of state and not remote. And there’s no way I’m working in NJ now that they’ve legalized recreational pot.

Really tempted to axe my LinkedIn account again.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There’s a co-worker who tends act like he’s a Team Lead (he’s not), so he’s already on my “annoyance list”, but today he’s wearing a shirt with the phrase ‘Go with the Flow’ (Flow being an old name for the unload team). [face_plain] What an *******.