main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Fun ITT we post random book lines/quotes out of context

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Emperor Ferus, May 18, 2020.

1. Emperor Ferus

Emperor Ferus Chosen One star 7

Jul 29, 2016
    There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Emperor Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Accidental dp

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    A sudden light broke on Frodo. ‘Sharkey!’ he cried.
    Saruman laughed. ‘So you have heard the name, have you? All my people used to call me that in Isengard, I believe. A sign of affection, possibly. But evidently you did not expect to see me here.’

Sarge, PCCViking and Emperor Ferus like this.
  4. Emperor Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Attercop, Attercop, won't you stop, stop your weaving and look for me?

darthhelinith, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come. But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dûr; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness. Far and wide her lesser broods, bastards of the miserable mates, her own offspring, that she slew, spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Dúath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood. But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world.

darthhelinith and Sarge like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 6

Oct 4, 1998
    Crucify him! Crucify him!

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Seven months ago, Constantius," said Conan, "it was I who hung there, and you who sat here."
    Constantius did not reply; he licked his gray lips and his eyes were glassy with pain and fear. Muscles writhed like cords along his lean body.
    "You are more fit to inflict torture than to endure it," said Conan tranquilly. "I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilized men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown. And so, Falcon of the desert, I leave you to the companionship of another bird of the desert."

Emperor Ferus and Sarge like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 6

Oct 4, 1998
    Then Curufin cursed Beren under cloud and sky. "Go hence," he said, "unto a swift and bitter death."

Emperor Ferus and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "It is our part to rule Arda, and to counsel the Children, or to command them in things committed to our authority. Therefore it is our task to deal with Arda Marred, and to declare what is just within it. We may indeed in counsel point to the Higher Road, but we cannot compel any free creature to walk upon it. That leadeth to tyranny, which disfigureth good and maketh it seem hateful."

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 6

Oct 4, 1998
    Go, and do likewise.

11. Emperor Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    The journey begins, so go.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    What have I got in my pockets?

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 6

Oct 4, 1998
    Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing at his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong, Hero of the Age, striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dur. And then all the clouds rolled away, and the white sun shone, and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be. In that hour of trial it was his love of his master that helped most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden, even if such visions were not a mere cheat to betray him. The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command. 'And anyway all these notions are only a trick, he said to himself.'

14. Emperor Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I think you should save your fears for yourself.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "Do you seek to bandy truth and falsehood with me", he replied. You are too inane for the task. Lies would better serve the trivial yearning which you style love. The truth damns you here. For three and a half millennia I have mustered my will against the Earth in your absence, groveler. I am the truth. I. And I have no use for the sophistry of your Unbelief.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Jessica Sorrow, the Unbeliever. She gave up her humanity to become what she is. She doesn't believe in anything. And because she doesn't believe with such utter certainty, all the world and everything in it are nothing to her. None of it can affect her in the least. She can go anywhere, and do anything, and she does. She can do terrible, distressing things, and she does, and nothing can touch her. She has no conscience and no morality. No pity and no restraint. The material world is like paper to her, and she rips it apart as she walks through it."

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 6

Oct 4, 1998
    But of course the troughs afford opportunities to our side also. Next week I will give you some hints on how to exploit them.

Your affectionate uncle,
    Screwtape

Iron_lord and Emperor Ferus like this.
  18. Emperor Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Knocking the stuffing out of me won’t make Aunt Marge forget what I could tell her.

PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 6

Oct 4, 1998
    'Waste of a good apple,' said Sam regretfully, and strode on.

20. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 12, 2017
    It was ideal apple-eating weather; the whitest sunlight descended from the purest sky, and an easterly wind rustled, without ripping loose, the last of the leaves on the Chinese elms.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 6

Oct 4, 1998
    And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Iron_lord and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Chosen One star 9

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, I'm back

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 6

Oct 4, 1998
    The music-room in the Governor’s House at Port Mahon, a tall, handsome, pillared octagon, was filled with the triumphant first movement of Locatelli’s C major quartet.

Iron_lord and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  24. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 12, 2017
    Punctuation, is? fun!

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Hoping to amaze them, he hurried to the skip and looked inside. After all, Old-Tech did turn up from time to time in small-town antique shops, or on old ladies' mantelpieces. Imagine being the one to rediscover some legendary secret, like heavier-than-air flying machines, or pot noodles! Even if it wasn't something that the Guild of Engineers could use it might still end up in the Museum, labelled and preserved in a display case with a notice saying, 'Discovered by Mr T. Natsworthy'. He peered hopefully at the heap of salvage in the skip,: shards of plastic, lamp stands, a flattened toy groundcar... A small metal box caught his eye. When he pulled it out and opened it his own face blinked back at him, reflected in a silvery plastic disk. "Mr Valentine! Look! A seedy!"

Iron_lord likes this.