main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Iverna's art--updated 28. August with Han, Leia, the Solo kids, Jack Sparrow, and Eric Northman

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Iverna, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    earlybird-obi-wan - thank you, dear! [:D]

I've changed Jaina's outfit to Jedi robes; I think it looks better this way. I've also finished colouring it, and I think I found a pretty good solution to the background problem. So here is the finished version:

[image=http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/049/2/6/swc___jaina_and_jagged_by_svenjaliv-d39ts4a.jpg]

Star Wars Couples - Jaina and Jagged

Jag is holding a datapad with flight scores, as I said already. The quotes in the background are from Ylesia, when Jag surprises Jaina with a visit; I picked them because they were the right length, basically, but they fit pretty well anyway. That was a good J/J moment. [face_love]

I used canon references for their outfits - Imperial uniforms in Jag's case, her Jedi outfit in Jaina's - but I've changed the colours. I don't know if Jag wears an Imperial-red shirt in canon, but I think it suits him. And no, neither of them is armed. I think I'm leaving weapons out of this series altogether. With these guys, it's safer, and seems more appropriate anyway since the theme is supposed to be "love". Star Wars-brand love, but even so!

Up next, Anakin and Tahiri. I'm working on the lines at the moment, and Miss Veila's feet are going to be a nightmare, but I haven't got that far yet. In the meantime, enjoy this one! @};-

2. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Jaina and Jag look great! I love the colors and Jaina's Jedi robes, but I remember really liking her outfit before too (though now I've forgotten exactly what it looked like). My only complaint is that I can't read the entire quote and I'm not familiar with the book it comes from, so I'm not sure what it says.

I can't wait to see Anakin and Tahiri! Which other couples are you going to do?

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    [face_love] I love Jaina's robes. They don't look too strict like you would normally see a Jedi wear.

And Jag and the red shirt made me laugh. There's an inside joke on the boards about Jag and a pair of red swim trunks. :p I don't even remember how it got started but it's still there. So I love the red.

Lovely picture and I'm really looking forward to Anakin and Tahiri!

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great colours fitting both of them.=D= a great picture

5. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Tarsier - thank you! I'm quite happy with the colours as well. I've thrown the original version, with the other outfit for Jaina, up on deviantART. Here's the lineart and here's the coloured version, if you want to see. :) Here's the conversation I took the quotes (bolded) from. It takes place just after Jag ambushed Jaina in her room, kissed her, and got Force-flung across the room.

Jaina: What are you doing here?
    Jag: Conducting an experiment.
    Jaina: A what?
    Jag: I detected a degree of ambiguity in your last few messages. I could no longer tell what your feelings toward me might be, so I thought an experiment was in order. I decided to place you in a situation that wasn't the least bit ambiguous, and see how you reacted. And the experiment was a success.
    Jaina: Right. You got thrown into a wall.
    Jag: But before you remembered to be outraged, there was a moment that was worth all the pain.

[face_laugh] [face_love]

I'm not sure who'll feature yet. I definitely want to do Jacen and Tenel Ka. Then there's Luke and Mara, Karrde and Shada, Tycho and Winter, Wedge and Iella, Mirax and Corran... and I really want to include Kyp, as well, but the problem is that he doesn't really have a canon romance... [face_thinking] And I'm leaving Han and Leia to last. I don't know if I'll even get through this, I'll probably lose interest eventually, and I've drawn them so many times already that it's only fair to give the others a go first. [face_laugh] But if you have any ideas or requests, let me know and I'll try!

Ceillean - yeah, I really like her Jedi outfit as well. I changed the colours a bit to fit better with the scheme, and I think the warmer tones help make it less strict as well.

Haha, that's right! I think I've come across references to that, actually! But I never really got it, since I haven't really been around for very long... But maybe my subconscious remembered something about it and told me to dress him in red. *lol* I'm glad you like it! A/T are coming along pretty well so far so hopefully I'll have them up soon!

earlybird-obi-wan - thanks dear, I'm happy to hear that! I'm developing a love for colour work now...

As always, thanks for your kind words everyone! And now I have a favour to ask: if you have ANY ideas for couples, poses that I can put them in, or quotes for them, please tell me! J/J and A/T were pretty easy, but J/TK are already causing me headaches and I have a feeling I'll run out of ideas, so any suggestions would be appreciated! [:D]

6. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks for posting the original version. I still like the original outfit, but I agree the Jedi robes are even better. Sounds like a fun scene the quote came from, it makes a lot more sense now. :) I definitely want to see what you come up with for Karrde and Shada, I'm not sure I've ever seen an image of Shada that I really liked.

7. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Jaina: What are you doing here?
    Jag: Conducting an experiment.
    Jaina: A what?
    Jag: I detected a degree of ambiguity in your last few messages. I could no longer tell what your feelings toward me might be, so I thought an experiment was in order. I decided to place you in a situation that wasn't the least bit ambiguous, and see how you reacted. And the experiment was a success.
    Jaina: Right. You got thrown into a wall.
    Jag: But before you remembered to be outraged, there was a moment that was worth all the pain.

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

Was this where Jag had been waiting on her and kissed her?
    Ah yes...when the EU was still fun.

You know, Kyp does have a lady friend in canon. But she's just never mentioned with a name. Which is great for us fanfic writers. :p

Instead of drawing him with a lady friend, why not with Han? They're more or less family.
    Doesn't fit into the couples theme but it's still kind of sweet and lovey. :)

Or make him the anti Valentine. :p Kyp sitting with his head in his hands while everyone else is in a heart warming mood and he's all annoyed. ^^

How about drawing Zekk with his fiancée? I forgot her name...Taryn?
    Tycho and Winter would be nice, too. I always liked Winter.

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Tarsier - it was a fun scene. Like I said, one of my fave J/J moments, for sure.

I still like the original outfit, but I agree the Jedi robes are even better.

I like it as well, it's sort of reminiscent of Han's... but I'm glad we're agreed on that point! Talon and Shada have one of the most interesting - and easy to mock! - relationships, I think. I've never tried drawing either of them before, though, so it'll be a challenge and I'm not sure how well it'll go... but we'll see when and if I get to it, I guess!

Ceillean - yes, that's the one! When he waited for her in her room and, afterwards, waved at her brother all like "oh hey there, say hi to your parents for me." [face_laugh]

I haven't been reading the books since Dark Nest completely let me down... I didn't know Kyp was with someone! I can just draw him with a pretty woman then. The only question is what to call her. Why on Earth don't they just give her a name? Grr. Oooh, I should totally do a Kyp and Han piece at some point, though. That's an awesome idea. One of those things I really wish they'd show more of in canon.

Or make him the anti Valentine. :p Kyp sitting with his head in his hands while everyone else is in a heart warming mood and he's all annoyed.

Omg, that would be hilarious. [face_laugh] Like a composite of everyone I draw with Kyp in the middle, all bedraggled. Aww. Poor Kyp.

And whaaaat, Zekk is engaged? That was sudden! Hmm. I'll add them to the list.

And Tycho and Winter are two of my favourite characters. Especially in the Rogue Squadron comics. I'm a bit sad they don'[t show up more in canon, but with the way canon's been going, that might be a good thing as well. *lol*

9. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    There's a scene in...yeah...that book...damn if I remember the title. [face_plain]

Exile? Fury? I don't know.
    Anyway, Kyp's in his speeder and he tells Master Skywalker not to sit behind him. Why? Because Kyp's hair is sooooooooooooooooooooo long, it would whip into Master Skywalker's face. He states that he has a lady friend who likes his hair long and doesn't mind all the grey in it.

Thank the Force he gets a haircut, though. [face_plain]

And I think a lot of fans were pretty surprised when Zekk suddenly showed up with a fiancée. She's Tenel Ka's cousin, I believe.

Like a composite of everyone I draw with Kyp in the middle, all bedraggled. Aww. Poor Kyp.

My thoughts exactly. [face_laugh]

10. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Kyp's hair is sooooooooooooooooooooo long, it would whip into Master Skywalker's face.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] For some reason, that mental image made me laugh. Luke getting a faceful of hair while Kyp chats about his special lady... haha.

Okay! The next one is finished:

[image=http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/150/i/2011/052/b/c/swc___tahiri_and_anakin_by_svenjaliv-d39z5th.jpg]

Star Wars couples - Tahiri and Anakin

... so fine, they don't hate each other, so they're a bit more lovey in this picture as well. Tahiri's chatting Anakin's ear off as usual, and he's a bit at a loss as usual. :p I know his hairstyle's a bit different than we're used to from the covers, but that hairstyle's - the neatly parted, longish thing he has going on - never made sense to me. He's a fighter, he doesn't have time for hairspray. And besides he's always described with mussed hair, so. Artistic license, if you will.

The quotes are from The Golden Globe which is about Anakin and Tahiri winning a prestigious movie award. That was a lie. But here are the quotes in full... *tears open envelope*

Anakin: Look, I don't like to talk in the morning.
    Tahiri: Nonsense. You don't like to talk period.

Uhm. Enjoy!

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    another nice piece.=D=

And for couples. There are more and I will PM you.

12. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I like how Anakin is so sheepish-looking. [face_laugh]

Looks to me that Tahiri's saying something he doesn't want to hear. :p

This is really nice.

And look! Her feet weren't too difficult, were they? ;)

13. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    earlybird-obi-wan - thank you! I got your PM. I'm accumulating quite a list! Working on Jacen and Tenel Ka right now.

Ceillean - I am so happy with how his expression turned out! I think it suits him. And I think you're right... don't know what she's telling him but I don't think he's quite sure what to make of it. *lol*

I'm glad you like it! Her feet were definitely the toughest part though. They took me a lot of attemts. And I found out that it's cursed hard to find decent reference pics of bare feet on the internet, so in the end, I used a mirror. [face_laugh]

I'll put up a preview of Jacen and Tenel Ka when - and if - deviantART decides too work for me again. It likes to break for me, I have no idea why. :rolleyes:

14. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Edit: dA works from my other computer, for some bizarre reason, which is both mystifying and good!

So, Jacen and Tenel Ka preview:

[image=http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/053/9/4/swc___tenel_ka_and_jacen_wip_by_svenjaliv-d3a5g6n.jpg]

Click here for full size

I do always try to make Jacen resemble both his parents, but he always ends up looking like Han. Alas! There are worse people to look like. :p Tenel Ka is from my imagination, pretty much, with a hairstyle inspired by one of FalconFan's drawings of her. Jacen's got his grandfather's hair (from Ep III) because it seemed to fit. And yes, his hand is far too big, I'm gonna fix that. It's all still fairly rough at this stage. I just wanted to give you a peek because I really like how this one's coming along.

15. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    He does look like a younger version of Han but that's totally fine. Han's good looking, too. :p

She seems a little wary, as if she's afraid to show her feelings for him. Which suits the character perfectly.

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

16. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Yeah, in my head, Jacen looks like a prettier version of Han. I dunno. [face_laugh]

That's what I was going for with Tenel Ka! Yay!

I was going to finish this today. I really was. Then yesterday I hung around the boards and read some fanfic... mention was made of Kyp and Jag sparring shirtless... I don't remember where or how it started but anyway, I got distracted. In my defence, it's hard not to get distracted by those guys, amirite? So, some sketches for you. The links below the thumbnails will take you to the full-size versions.

[image=http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/054/b/6/durron_vs_fel_sketch_by_svenjaliv-d3a7n3b.jpg]
    Durron vs. Fel sketch

[image=http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/054/b/2/jag_sketch_by_svenjaliv-d3a7nee.jpg]
    Jagged Fel sketch

These were both done without references, except for the cover of the X-Wing: Mandatory Retirement comic for the Jag sketch, because it has a pretty good picture of Soontir Fel. I didn't copy it directly but used it as inspiration. I'm quite happy with how he turned out, actually.

I'm going to try and colour both of these, but no promises. In the meantime I figured I'd share the pencil sketches.

17. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Ah yes...Jag and Kyp sparring shirtless...I believe that was in my story thread. [face_laugh] Yeah..."Just Beyond the clouds".

Yep. Just the image in my head makes me grin like an idiot.

Oooooh, I love Jag! [face_love] He's yummy looking.
    Honestly, one of the best Jag's I've seen in the art section so far.

Awesome. =D=

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great new works. Love the action.
    And jacen and Tenel Ka are very nice.

19. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Ceillean - ahhh yes, I remember now! It's an awesome idea. I completely approve. [face_laugh] And I'm glad you like Jag! The official art really lets him down I think. He never looks even remotely like I imagine him. I'm really happy that I managed to make him good-looking! [face_dancing]

earlybird - action is fun to draw! Difficult, but very fun. And thank you!

... okay. You guys. I started painting over that sketch of Jag yesterday, in Photoshop, and it turned into this:

[image=http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/055/7/3/a_touch_of_scoundrel___jag_fel_by_svenjaliv-d3aa9ou.jpg]
    A Touch of Scoundrel

I'll be honest, I can't believe it turned out so well. I get giddy every time I look at it. This is definitely the best digital painting I've done to date and I am SO happy with Jag right now. [face_love] I think the clawcraft needs more shadow, or maybe different shadow, but you know what, I don't even care. [face_laugh] It looks like a clawcraft so meh. And at the bottom you've got a Nirauan landscape, or at least what I think it might look like, including the Hand of Thrawn fortress. And the title is from TUF when Jaina tells Jag, "Maybe there's a touch of scoundrel in you after all." [face_love] I reckon it fits pretty well.

Ahhhhhhh I am so happy with this I can't even tell you!

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great composition, colours and background too. A beautiful work of art.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow! You've been busy lately! I wish I was able to pump out artwork this fast, but alas, it seems that I will be a slow poke unless there is a deadline to be met. :p

Onto your artwork - everything looks amazing! You are really growing leaps and bounds in terms of the digital work. Everything is really starting to come together with that and it really shows in "A Touch of Scoundrel." You're starting to develop your own distinct style of painting in PS and it looks really great! I caught the digital bug as well and I find myself playing around and painting things in PS more and more. In fact, the final color illustrations in the children's book that I worked on were done digitally in PS. I love it and it's great to see you're enjoying it so much as well! I can't wait to see more! And hopefully, more Han soon. ;)

22. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    This looks awesome, Iverna!

I don't even know what else to say. ;) I find digital art to be very difficult so this is just amazing...

=D=

23. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    A Touch of Scoundrel is awesome! Not just Jag, but the clawcraft, the landscape, the sky - it all just looks amazing! I don't know what else to say but wow!

24. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    earlybird - thank you! I really like how the colours worked for this one as well.

HanSolo29 - yeah, I've been kinda prolific lately... it comes and goes though. Sometimes it's months before I get another picture done, so I guess overall we probably balance out! ;)

Thanks very much for your kind words! It took me a while to get the hang of digital, because I think the tablet's a challenge, but I'm finally getting there, I think. I'm really flattered that you can see a "style"... I can't really see that yet but it's nice to hear! I'm finding colour work a lot easier to do digitally - do you find that as well? It's so much easier to experiment with tones and to correct mistakes (of which I make plenty!!). Anyway yes, thank you!

Ceillean - aw hey, thanks! Digital art is definitely a lot different than traditional. As I said, it's taken me a while to get the hang of it, and I don't think I'm quite there yet, but getting better... Thank you!

Tarsier - I'm glad you think so, thanks! The landscape was an afterthought, but I really like how it turned out... it seems to fit pretty well. Thank you very much!

[:D]@};-

25. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You have been also very busy recently, mo chrí!

:D

*goes on watching a German carneval show on her own while her Dutch husband hides in his office as usual*

I like your latest pieces for they show clearly that you are an artist that goes deep under the skin with his SW art.