main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Iverna's art--updated 28. August with Han, Leia, the Solo kids, Jack Sparrow, and Eric Northman

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Iverna, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I guess we have something of a consensus here as regards the guitar player's identity... *lol*

earlybird-obi-wan - glad you like him! And Kyp as well. Thanks!

Idrelle - thank you, that's awesome! The colours more or less worked out that way, but I'm glad to hear that it works! Heh, I have a soft spot for hippie!Jacen by now. Silly canon... *lol*

Azure - haha, that's one way to see it! Cool!

Nat - thaaank you! I'm starting to get the hang of digital shading. It's good fun!

Tarsier - cheers! Yeah, he does look like he could be Jacen; not intentionally, but maybe my subconscious wanted more Jacen art, who knows? Thank you!

Ceillean - I believe you've made it known to me, yeah! *lol* But it's still awesome to hear. And I'm glad you like Jacen. He's so much more fun as a hippie. And this reminds me I really need to update Stranded. Eep! But I will. Soon. Yeah. :p

Thanks for your wonderful comments everyone! [:D]

2. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I has another update! It's not Star Wars, but I really really like how it turned out so I wanted to share it:

[image=http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/120/3/3/332e5c3852fd57b5be1887ba294b7158-d3f8gzf.png]

(click here for full view)

I doodled her while watching TV one evening and then I really wanted to paint her. I think I've caught some kind of digital painting fever or something. *lol* Anyway, I'm really happy with it, especially with the glitter. I love painting light, as I've started to find out.

I hope you like her as well!

On a related note... okay, now for some shameless plugging. [face_blush] I've finally figured out how to make prints on deviantART as well so I have a print store now! I'm donating 20% of my profits to an autism charity here in Ireland, so you get shiny pretty things and you can help a really worthwhile cause. I've bought stuff from deviantART before and I've always been really happy with the quality, so it's worth it.

I've only made a few so far since it does take a bit of time, and I want to see how it goes first. But if you'd like a print of something that isn't there, let me know! Either way, I hope you'll check it out and maybe help me spread the word, that'd be awesome. @};-

3. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Oh, and I almost forgot! I made some wallpapers from my Kyp painting, so if anyone wants those, here they are:

[image=http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/150/i/2011/121/4/f/kyp_wallpaper_pack_by_svenjaliv-d3fcdei.png]

(click here to go to download page)

There's a few different sizes, and if you want a different one let me know and I'll try. Enjoy!

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Your fairy is absolutely lovely!! I wish I wasn't so broke; I'd buy a print of her!! Good luck with the prints [:D]

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    The fairy is superb=D==D=

6. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks guys, that means a lot. Thank you! A bit under the weather today but I did a really quick painting of Han and figured I'd share it with you.

[image=http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/126/d/b/captain_solo_by_svenjaliv-d3fpbu1.png]

Done entirely in Photoshop. It took me about an hour. And no, I didn't cheat and paint over the reference or anything, this was done from scratch. I wanted to see if I could do a decent painting fast, and what can I say, it's Han. [face_love]

I added some more pictures to my print store as well and set up a Facebook page, so if you're up for it, I'd really appreciate your support!

[:D]

7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love his expression. He is in some situation and likely to get out or into more trouble

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, very cool!! I can't believe you did that in Photoshop; it's amazing!!

9. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Wow, that fairy is gorgeous! I love the lighting, and her wings.

I can't believe Han only took you an hour and no reference! That's amazing! And you captured a classic expression. :)

10. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    earlybird-obi-wan - yes indeed! Isn't he always? Heh, thanks!

Nat - heh, tbh I'm a bit surprised myself at how it turned out. Thank you!

Tarsier - thanks so much! I had fun with the light in that one. And I'm glad you like Han as well! I did use a reference though... didn't trace or paint over it, but I did have it there to look at. I can't paint him like that from imagination - yet. *lol* Thank you!

And whaddaya know, I already have another one to share.

[image=http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/128/d/7/the_empire_will_compensate_you_by_svenjaliv-d3fv6zk.png]

Again, a fairly quick painting done in PS, took me about two hours this time. I love, love, love this scene and it's got very challenging lighting, so it was fun to do it. I changed the reference a bit - cut out the Ugnaught and brought H/L closer together - and I like it better this way, I have to say. Hope you like it!

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I love it!! It's really fantastic :D At first glance, I couldn't even tell that it was artwork rather than a screencap!

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a great scene with the red and the menacing figures in the background.=D=

13. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    The first thing that caught my attention in this pic were Han's eyes. You gave him beautiful, beautiful eyes.

It's a wonderful painting, Iverna.

=D=

14. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I've finally been able to have a look and enjoy your works, they are beautiful! :) I'm surprised how fast you are in producing them. The Faery looks sweet in that pose and I love how you illuminated and coloured it. You have really captured the atmosphere in that classic scene from the Carbonfreezing Chamber :D.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow! Your digital pieces are amazing! You have come a long way and it really shows in your two recent pieces. Were these all done with the same layering technique you mentioned a while ago? Is that how you did all of your blending or did you use the blurring tool for that?

16. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Nat - thank you very much!

earlybird-obi-wan - I know, I love this scene, it's one of my favourites ever!

Ceillean - ohh, glad to hear that! Yay! Thank you!

Corellian_Outrider - cheers! Some are faster than others, I guess. I'm not sure why... anyway, glad you like them! Thanks!

HanSolo - thank you, I'm slowly getting there! Ohhh, I forget what I said about blending. [face_blush] What I usually do is set my brush to fairly low opacity, and for the parts that I want to look soft and blended, I set the hardness to almost 0 as well. Then I guess it is "layering", much like I'd do with pencil, yeah. I don't use the blur or smudge tools at all, they slow my laptop to a crawl and it feels more like painting/drawing when I do it the other way, so yeah.

In the carbonite chamber painting, I also used a texture over the background, don't know if you can tell... it's a watercolour paper texture I made myself. Makes it look more like a painting, I think!

I got my digital pieces printed today, so I can hang them in my room, and I'm really really happy with the printer people! They turned out great. So I'm happy.

I'm working on illustrations and a cover for "Solo Moments" at the moment, soooo... sketches and pictures of the Solo family to come reasonably soon! Thanks for looking, everyone!

17. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    As promised, some sketches/illustrations for "Solo Moments"! First off, Jacen and Jaina after building a slide in "The Mess We Make":
    [image=http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/142/7/a/the_twins___slide_by_svenjaliv-d3gyn2f.png]

Anakin drinking his Dad's caf:
    [image=http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/142/3/7/anakin_with_caf_by_svenjaliv-d3gynva.png]

Winter helping Anakin bake cookies in "Cookies and Chaos":
    [image=http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/141/d/c/winter_and_anakin_by_svenjaliv-d3guszm.png]

Han and the kids with their own take on "baking":
    [image=http://th06.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/141/c/1/cookies_and_chaos_by_svenjaliv-d3gusid.png]

Kyp and the kids fighting over cookies in "More Cookies, More Chaos":
    [image=http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/142/7/1/cookies_thieves_by_svenjaliv-d3gyli1.png]

And Jaina with a (stolen?) cookie:
    [image=http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/142/9/f/cookie_thief_jaina_by_svenjaliv-d3gym1l.png]

I did these all much the same way - sketched in my sketchbook, transferred to the computer and fixed in PS, and then traced onto Bristol paper to be done up into proper drawings. I didn't use any references aside from occasionally looking in the mirror to figure out where thumbs and feet were supposed to go, that kind of thing.

If you want to read the stories these belong to, the link is in my profile and my sig, so go for it. In the meantime I hope you like the sketches. Anyone hungry for cookies now...? [face_batting]

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes :) and for more of these adorable drawings=D=[:D][face_dancing]

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Aww, those are too cute! You really have a knack for portraying the Solo family. And that's awesome that you were able to do these without reference. That's something I'm struggling with at the moment. There's nothing wrong with using reference, but it would be nice to be able to get to the point where I can draw poses without relying on models or other photo reference.

Also, thanks for the insight on your painting process! That's exactly what I was trying to describe above about the blending. It seems to be working really well for you and I'm really impressed with the results. I was just curious if that was the process you were using since that's what I did in the past with black and white and I'm currently working on a piece that I want to flesh out in full color in Photoshop.

And since we're on the subject of digital paintings, any chance we can see a full color painting for "Solo Moments"? You've really piqued my interest with that. [face_batting]

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Awww!! Those are all really cute [face_love]

21. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks guys! Glad you like them!

HanSolo - I'm only starting to work without references; something kind of clicked for me a while back, but don't ask me what it was. *lol* I like it though, because it can be really hard to find pictures of people in exactly the right pose etc. But I think it does take practice, knowledge of anatomy etc, and having good spatial awareness helps because you can kind of "see" it in your head. And yep, that's the process... it works in colour just as well as with black and white, in my experience.

I am actually working on a full-colour piece, a family shot that I want to use as a cover for the fic. All of them curled up on the couch together, reading from a datapad; a sort of "redux" of this picture, with Leia added in. Like I said, I'm working on it, but it's taking me a while. But I'll definitely share it when it's done!

Thanks for the interest and your kind words, everyone! [:D]

22. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    WOW[face_hypnotized]

I mean like really WOW, you're really, really good! i mean your people look like people instead of lifeless blobs of pencil.... WOW

You Are Awesome!

Goodness Gracious, now i have that twitching to draw.... now the only question is what? lol

Arica Bolts

23. AzuraBlaise

AzuraBlaise Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2011
    Wow. I came here from 'Solo Moments' and I found two treasures. The Adorable Solo family and your amazing art.

And I now have a small problem.

It's currently 4:35 am where I am, and now I have the urge to draw. And quite possibly fail at drawing a balocony scene (kind of).

Thank you so much for inspiring me. And you can never have enough Han & Leia

24. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    AricaBolts - haha, thank you! I'm glad that my people look like people. Cool! And go for it, the world needs more drawing!! You should share it here if you do!

AzuraBlaise - thanks for stopping by! I'm really happy to hear that. Thank you so much! And I'm glad I inspired you. I hope you did draw something! Do you draw SW fan art too? If so, any chance we can see it? [face_batting]

So, I'm lagging behind in updating this... again. Between deviantART, Facebook, my blog, and this, I always seem to neglect one or the other. But I have some new stuff! First of all, I've made a cover image for "Solo Moments" featuring the Solo family, and uploaded a cropped version - Story Time redux:

[image=http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/162/c/2/story_time_redux_by_svenjaliv-d3in4rn.png]
    [link=http://svenjaliv.deviantart.com/art/Story-Time-redux-212710883](click here for full view)[/link]

From left to right - Jaina, Han, Anakin, Leia, and Jacen. It's a sort of expanded version [link=http://svenjaliv.deviantart.com/art/Story-Time-163353645]"Story Time"[/link] - I always liked the idea of it, but not the sketch itself, so I re-did it from scratch and in colour. In the background is a tapestry/painting of Padmé Amidala, which hung in the Solos' apartment (you can see it in the [i]Last Command[/i] graphic novel). I thought it was nice to kind of include her in the picture, even if you can't really see her.

And I did a portrait of Jaina Solo, in colour:

[image=http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2011/164/d/f/jaina_portrait_by_svenjaliv-d3itj2x.png]
    [link=http://svenjaliv.deviantart.com/art/Jaina-portrait-213009369](click here for full view)[/link]

Not much to say about that one; I did it spur-of-the-moment the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. It's done entirely in Photoshop, I just used a texture overlay to give it a more traditional look.

Okay, aside from that, I've got news! Firstly, I'm going to be illustrating a children's book which is due to be published at the end of this year. It'll be a collection of four stories about a little dragon called Miro. I'm really really excited about this project!

And secondly, I've finally gotten around to writing up a [link=http://svenjaliv.deviantart.com/journal/41419071/]commissions info post[/link], so I'm officially open for commissions now. Wish me luck!

And as always, thanks for looking, and enjoy!

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love your Han and kids. They are sweet and adorable and the colours=D==D==D=