main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams (Director Of TFA & TROS) Discussion Thread—Now Finally Discussing: JJ Abrams

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    TFA?

JJ was hampered in part due to sheer lack of time. So even without studio meddling he couldn’t have created the SW movie of his dreams.

And as it was….TFA was criticized primarily for being a soft reboot. But that’s what Disney wanted - a soft reboot. Personally I don’t think JJ ever saw the assignment as “create your ideal SW fanfiction.” He was making a movie for Disney and wasn’t going to deliver something he though Disney would validly dislike. (And by validly I mean for non-bigoted reasons.)

Blastaar likes this.
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’ll be blunt and say that I think at least some of a less meddled with TROS would likely go better - Finn would likely have a better story, and if LFL pushed the version of Ben’s death where he gets kissed into the film and Abrams would have dropped it… well, that would be substantially better at least in some ways. Even more so if Abrams would have, theoretically, been more likely to drop the poison of Rey and Kylo’s relationship entirely and emphasize Rey and Finn in their place.

But I kind of agree that total free reign would be unlikely to solve the problem… because Abrams would likely maintain professionalism and refuse to do what needed to be done after TLJ - basically, burn everything left over from it to the ground, and start some hefty, Geoff Johns-level retcons - out of some respect for Johnson as a fellow professional, even if Johnson had showed no respect for Abrams work in TFA.

The best thing to do after TLJ would have been to ignore as much of it as possible. Regardless of its qualities as a stand-alone film, it screwed up the larger narrative, the characters, and their context.

That would t happen unless someone made it clear to Abrams (or anyone else) he had a mandate to *fix* the story, rather than try to deliver a film on time to fit LFL’s mercurial, misguided, and contradictory demands.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    alwayslurking likes this.
  3. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh, TROS?

Yes, it’s really obvious from all the bts that had DLF not meddled with TROS it would at least have been coherent. Even just the fact that JJ was visibly upset re the movie, did almost no press for it, etc should make it blatantly obvious that he felt the end result was awful and not what he signed up to make.

I don’t think it ever could have been a masterpiece. But it would have been very markedly better, and better-recieved.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Honestly I'm gonna disagree. i think TROS is probably the film id rather watch out of the 3 ST movies. to me, it feels abit more like Star Wars. it tries to work with the lore, like the best parts of the Mandalorian, and just kinda feels more comfortable in the universe. Much better than the previous 2. And alot of the decisions i do agree with. I think alot of the decisions were the correct thing to do. Not all of them. But alot of them.

Problem is that its a messy movie. alot of the issues are that its a messy movie. for example you could have taken out the sequence with them saving Chewbacca and it wouldn't have lost anything. its there to create another plot and action piece that really isn't needed. so it adds to the extra baggage.

And the death star dagger thing... that was JJ's idea. people wanna act like JJ was out of the loop with this movie. people call that a silly scene... it was his idea!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd argue that TROS is the film that actually shows what happens when Abrams tries to "copy and paste" or just imitate Lucas's Star Wars from a strictly mercenary, "appeal to the audience as much as a I can with the least amount of work" standpoint - TFA has that reputation, but truthfully reflects more of what Abrams actually loves about Star Wars contrasted with what he doesn't care about as much. TFA reflects his love for characters, adventure, a feeling of wonder, and a very focused dramatic story... but also some surprising level of restraint in spectacle and scale, with a strong disinterest in world-building. TROS is the more producer-minded summation from Abrams of Star Wars - spectacle, set design, playing to your crowd's soft spots, etc.

TROS is somewhat respectable as the dumb blockbuster ST film - it's nowhere near as full of itself or self-conceited as TLJ is, it willingly seeks out the most bombastic and purely fanservice ideas it can, and in a way that shows that wasn't actually what Abrams was doing in TFA, and it wants to be the "toyetic" merchandise film.

The fact it's the most "blockbuster" film is indisputable when you take into account the scale of the battles scenes and the most over-the-top spectacle in it (Exegol, Palpatine's Force Lightning). The fact it's a dumb movie is also indisputable, because of stuff like the dagger-map.

...I would still argue that TLJ is equally stupid, just in different ways, while TFA remains the most quality film, and the one with the most "heart" in common with Lucas's films.

TX-20 and alwayslurking like this.
  6. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    It’s also a movie that JJ himself and others who worked on the movie and didn’t consider themselves “artistes” apparently hated.

There are movies *designed* to be big dumb spectacles. I didn’t see the Godzilla v Kong people acying like they wanted nothing to do with their creation. Because they aimed for “big dumb spectacle” and hit it.

TROS was not what its creators wanted it to be. It can’t be said to have been “designed” to be/do anything because the final product wasn’t designed but frankensteined. I don’t think it was what DLF wanted either but studio meddling often results in a product the studio isnt happy with either.

7. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    All I can hear in my head with this discussion of JJ, RJ, and the studio is Sallah's summation of the team searching for the Map Room in "Raiders" - "they have not one brain among them."

Sort of what Marcia L and Howard K were getting to...no understanding of what makes Star Wars, Star Wars.

8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Its like what i hear alot of people say about The Mandalorian. The Mandalorian is not trying to mimick Star Wars. Its trying to think the way Lucas would. Its inspiring to everything Lucas was inspired by and because of that it delivers something more in tune with what he created. TFA feels like its a remake of Star Wars. TROS does not feel like a remake. Sure its all over the place. Sure elements feel like they were taken from Endgame. but it feels the most like a ST follow up should be. Not a remake. TROS feels more at home with that movie as part of the saga. Even at its most messy. TFA feels de-tached. TLJ feels like a cross between the 2.

So yeah. I think they made alot of the right decisions with TROS. I think they realised very late. But honestly i think it could have been far worse if they had just tried to keep going the direction the last 2 movies set. The Mandalorian has shown how to do it right. Alot of the ST has shown how to try to fix something that wasn't broken.

dinnertime and christophero30 like this.
  9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Mandalorian, the few episodes I've seen, feels like a western. Just as the first half of ANH does. I like it.

10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    You're in for a treat.

11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I never got that feeling with "The Mandalorian".

12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Lucas was inspired by alot of film and tv. like Westerns and samurai movies (the ahsoka episode in s2).

christophero30 likes this.
  13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Sounded to me like Marcia only thought the OT was real SW.

The ST was a mess but I’ll take TFA alone over all of Legends. What “feels like Star Wars” is pretty subjective.

14. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think JJ's movies moreso hit with the stupid plot angle, where I think TLJ hits the stupid characters angle, to me.

2Cleva and canuckmuse like this.
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m not saying Abrams’s movies didn’t have stupid plots, but the TLJ Space Chase and assorted conflicts are also pretty epically stupid.

TFA remains the most workable all around, while I don’t really want to pick between Death Star Daggers, Trash Can disguises, Death Star Destroyers, 18 Hour Chases in one direction even though they have hyperspace, teleporting objects across space with the Force, and a Galaxy that needs an old dude to do a magic trick to get inspire instead of a super weapon being destroyed.

Admittedly, it gets ambiguous where the dumb characters end and the dumb plot begins…

TX-20, ChildOfWinds, 2Cleva and 3 others like this.
  16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It's inconceivable and unforgivable that JJ tossed George Lucas's ST treatments in the bin because you would have had a cohesive story line and the directors would have all had to adapt the treatment.

It is also inconceivable and unforgivable if JJ did have an outline for EP8 & 9 and RJ tossed that in the bin!

17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Iger said in his memoir that he tossed George’s treatments…(Though I suspect he took the heat for a decision that was more a Disney committee thing.)

And RJ didn’t have the authority to toss JJ’s outlines. That was a DLF-level decision.

2Cleva likes this.
  18. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Weren't Lucas's treatments all about a micro-universe and the midichlorians controlling everything or something like that?

19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    It also involved Maul. his apprentice. Leia involved in rebuilding the republic. Luke doing the jedi side of things. Rebel Stormtroopers trying to keep the empire alive.

George probably was gonna get more into the force too. but i think the reason it got thrown out is probably because it sounds more political than the OT.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Seeing how GLs SW storytelling improved with TCW, I think the fears of what he would do with the ST are always misplaced. The story is the foundation.

But the dirty secret is were seeing what GL wanted post ROTJ anyway. Likely another "ST" if we live normal lifetimes. Executive Creative Director will make sure his story goes over all but Lucas's.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Didn’t Lucas want Ahsoka to die in TCW?

22. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think TLJ's plots are, mostly, propelled by the actions of stupid characters. While in TFA the stupid plots are kinda basically separate from the character. LIke, I think it makes sense, for the first order to want the map to Luke Skywalker, in theory. However that the plot of this movie, until the movie decides half way through that the movie is about stopping another death star, is about a bunch of people running around trying to get a map for 1 guy and it doesn't even last the whole movie (and not a more normal reason like that plot concluding with finding Luke, but because the plot for no particular reason just stops being relevant and it starts being about something else, with some nonsense about the map not being complete and R2 just jumpstarting because the plot has awakened him after the new death star was awoken, for no reason given by the movie why). The story basically stops and then we have another movie that's about stopping a death star. Not because the characters are stupid, but because the plot is kinda nonsense, imo. And that's not, to me, counting the coincidences I think the movie uses to propel it's plot forward and such.

Now TLJ basically has characters being stupid and that drives the plot, so the plot then becomes either stupid and/or lame as a side effect, to me. I think the space chase, for an example, is a showcase of that. Though, while I think it's a weak plot, I think what makes that more stupid is what happens in it by the characters and such.

23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Not that I recall reading/seeing. Regardless - GL would have made sure each life or death served the story first and built everything off that (marketing, licensing, influences, etc..). Filoni is the same way - and GL is his biggest and closest SW influence. Not hard to see how this plays out.

24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think George was aware that Ahsoka couldn't live past a certain point in the timeline. while i don't think Filoni could ever bring himself to kill the character, so they found a way to keep her alive and out the way.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There was some mention of that however that issue of midichlorians could have been shelved but the structure of GL's ST remains therefore we could have been at piece cause we new the ST had come from the maker cause now the ST seems out of place with the 1-6 GL written and mostly directed films.

godisawesome likes this.