main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams (Director Of TFA & TROS) Discussion Thread—Now Finally Discussing: JJ Abrams

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The main systemic issue wound up being LFL’s inability to manage *any* kind of three-film underlying story connected to the GL written films, even in a “reasonable counterfeit” kind of manner. I can get being leery of Lucas’s story plus Lucas trying to oversee things, given his well-known micro-manager tendencies with Star Wars (even if it’s not nearly as bad as it could be), but surely just skeletonizing his stuff would have worked. And if not, at least having a solid main idea that tied onto the previous films coming from Star Wars fans who think they know what would resemble Lucas.

I think both TFA and TLJ were separate types of “reasonable counterfeits” but as always, they worked against each other, with more of my ire on TLJ than TFA - TFA, no matter what, clearly intends to tell the story of new heroes with the old ones as mentors and supporting characters, while TLJ is clearly more of an epilogue for Luke alone, with minimal application for the new characters’ story. But the big thing was that there was no through line between them, and by the time TLJ was done, it wasn’t even really a “reasonable counterfeit” and more like an ignorant parody.

They had something to work with once… and for whatever reason, they never sought to either use it or replace it.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Perhaps one of the most overrated directors in my lifetime.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think there are few more overrated directors out there.

5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d like to hear who else. Peter Jackson is up there on that list for me, but he at least has a vision that sticks with you. JJ’s films just don’t adhere. They’re like Teflon.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  6. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Can we add Zack Snyder to the list?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  7. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Christopher Nolan is my vote for overrated as well as Rian Johnson (and also JJ).

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, he’s just terrible. And most don’t overrate him.
    No.

9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    When it comes to fans of everything a director does, I’ve seen mannnnny hardcore Snyder and Nolan fans. Not nearly as many JJ or Jackson fans.

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s not true of Jackson. His fans are legion. Even though I don’t enjoy his style, one can’t deny that he has a fandom of his own.

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Abrams might be overrated, but TROS is his most underrated.

Awushi Awere likes this.
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Does JJ even have any hardcore fans? Beyond Jojo obviously.

Like Michael Bay i think he is a director you know will give you a fun ride, but don't expect anything with much depth.

JJ is not really a director people are rallying around to direct their favorite franchises. While studios obviously see JJ as someone who can get the job done and make it look good.

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Part of Abrams brand is being considered just a fun geek as opposed to either a master craftsman or an artist - even compared to other geeky creators, there’s a more relaxed “aura” around him.

It’s likely part of his identity as a producer; people know he’s making films that he hopes appeal to a wider audience first, both for enjoyment and especially for profit.

It is, admittedly, one of the reason I don’t hold TROS against him - given the impossible situation TLJ had left the story in, and LFL’s contradictory and harmful demands of a story they refused to understand, he created the widest appealing film he could.

If it’s going to be trash regardless, better it not beholden to pretensions beyond itself.

2Cleva likes this.
  14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think TLJ made it so TROS was gonna end up trash either way. TROS ended up how it was without TLJ's help.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    When you’ve got Lucasfilm endorsing only the worst possible interpretations and ideas from TLJ, then Episode IX is going to be screwed regardless. LFL had no regard or interest in making sure Rey or Finn had good stories, and had rejected the “Kylo is the Villainous Protagonist” story from Trevorrow for not having Ben Solo be a hero, and were too picky to get a working story from him before firing him.

Whoever got the job was going to get stuck with an insanely abbreviated schedule, exactly zero momentum or health in Rey or Finn’s character arc, an absolutely dead main conflict that was now even more repetitive than the worst interpretations of TFA, and a production company convinced that the mass murdering serial killer with the emotional depth of a Goomba from Mario Bros. needed to be the real heroic lead even though he was the only remaining villain with even a (tiny) modicum of seriousness left over. Oh, and a hostility towards the black male lead actor being used to his full potential.

Give someone a full preproduction time and the freedom to fix TLJ’s story, and he might have a shot.

TROS was much more the product of a poisonous context than anything Abrams would enjoy making,

2Cleva and alwayslurking like this.
  16. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Every director has a fan club of one size or another. But Jackson generally is known for the LotR trilogy, not a particular style that a hardcore fanbase follows him for. I'd say most folk who love that trilogy aren't devoted fans of the director's other movies in the way that, say, Nolan's fans are. I can definitely say that a lot of folk who adored LotR downright hated his Hobbit films, in fact, which are arguably his most famous works outside of LotR.

17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    That implies the main issue with TROS was that they didn't go didn't go a particular direction that you would have preferred. Or that JJ was stuck with Rians vision so its not his fault is TROS wasn't great. But in terms of potential. JJ had a perfectly fine template to have told a good story with. Infact alot of the ideas in TROS were also potentially fine. They were just not written or executed well.

Darth Nave and dogprivilege like this.
  18. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't agree. As I think the template he was left with wasn't interesting or much of anything, leaving the next movie with the burden to establish a dynamic, develop it and pay it off in one movie for basically all the characters, after it hadn't even really even been done much with. I think, no matter what, the next movie would've had to have a soft reboot purely to make the story and characters function. I think that's basically what Trevarrow's draft did and what JJ's movie ended up doing. To varying degrees of success and failure.

19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    You can make 1 movie and make a good movie. Sure its nice if you have a foundation if required/ But honestly there is no excuse for sloppy writing. Which was the issue with TROS. And If they had to soft-reboot, then that gives more freedom than not to make 1 good movie.

And i have always said this and il say it again, There were alot of right decisions and ideas made with TROS. Not all, there were certainly some weird ones. But a fair amount of those decisions were not hurt by TLJ.

For example i stand by the idea we didn't need the sequence of Poe, Rey and Finn storming that star destroyer in TROS. it added nothing they couldn't have done somewhere else and was just a quickfire action piece with no stakes. Which took away from other things they could have concentrated on.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  20. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    While I don't agree with there being "lots" of right decisions in TROS, I think the bolded is spot on. I think it's absolutely true that whoever was making IX was going to find themselves in a very difficult situation trying to make the story work in large part because of how TLJ wrote many aspects of the story into a corner. Some level of "soft rebooting" or "retconning" the ST story was IMO very understandable.

Once you accept that some ret-cons were necessary while also acknowledging that this is part 9 of 9 and part 3 of 3, then it comes down to choosing which specific elements of TFA/TLJ you're gonna continue, ret-con, or jettison altogether. And I think the bolded is a good point, because as bad as it is that TLJ left the story with very few places to go, it's also true that this dynamic means you can make IX about basically whatever you want, within reason ofc.

And that's exactly what they did. They made an incredibly out-of-nowhere story revolving around Palpatine, Rey's relation with him, and this "final order" stuff. And so I'd say that they made incredibly bad choices among what weak options were available and could have been salvaged. MANY of these choices & their implementation bear zero relation to TLJ and are entirely within the scope of TROS as a single film.

Basically, you can acknowledge the weak foundation TLJ left without making blanket excuses for why TROS is such a bad movie on all fronts. You can also acknowledge that TLJ ignored much of potential story ideas setup by TFA while acknowledging TROS did the same, causing us to end up with a significantly worse trilogy overall than if they hadn't decided to just blow it all up in the final entry.

At least with TLJ we got a well crafted film even if the narrative is trash. In TROS both are trash IMO.

EDIT: To be fair, I do agree with this post and the general assertion that it's the context at LFL in the fallout from TLJ that doomed TROS, not necessarily TLJ as a film all on its own. I agree more production time & a more clear-eyed vision from LFL could have maybe salvaged IX. (I think they should have retconned the parents, made Rey a Skywalker, had Kylo still be the main villain, and re-centered Rey AND FINN VS. Kylo as the main conflict)

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There was a storming a Star Destroyer scene? So memorable that I didn’t remember it.

PendragonM likes this.
  22. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    It was right after the "Chewie's DEAD!" ... "Chewie's ALIVE!" fake out. They snuck aboard the ship to rescue him. And also to use Zori's super rare medallion thing that grants access to board a ship but also to leave a planet or something. It was a tremendous sacrifice for her to give it to Poe, we were told.

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Although she managed to get off the planet anyway without the medallion, since it got blown up 5 minutes afterwards, which really makes you think... about how shoddily the script was constructed :p

24. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I was thinking of the end, with the space horses, I forgot "let's try and redo ANH one more time." Everything having to do with Zori was a mess - redoing Poe as Han 2.0 for a start. And why do you hire Keri Russell and not show her face?

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What do you mean? We see her eyes!
    But yeah, Poe should've remained Poe.

PendragonM likes this.