main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams (Director Of TFA & TROS) Discussion Thread—Now Finally Discussing: JJ Abrams

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

If TROS was full ass, I'm terrified of what half ass would actually be.

No. I think JJ just wanted to get out the door with his ass in hand. Palpatine returns, somehow is not someone even remotely trying. It's someone throwing garbage at the screen, and then running away, assuming the fandom wouldn't care. JJ has a deeply pessimistic view of his audience. He thinks we're shallow. And stupid.

Darth Nave, Tho Yor, Darth PJ and 2 others like this.
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    TFA is Abrams going “full ass” (I love Ron Swanson quotes too!:p) to make a Star Wars film that he would love to watch and that he’d loved to make. The fact it aligned with what he’d also see as a guaranteed money maker was just an extra plus on that go-round.

TROS is Abrams going “full ass” to try and produce a money maker in a rushed time-frame for a narrative conclusion to a story with severely contradictory goals and plot threads from previous movies and from the studio. The fact it didn’t align with a film he would enjoy himself, that he didn’t enjoy making, and that he knew was at best damage control in his opinion likely galled him.

Abrams is pessimistic about some things, but optimistic about others. He himself values the energy and flow in his stories more than a narratively tight story, and values the speculation and wonder of the unknown more than a properly set-up answer.

But he also expects his audience to desire and enjoy strong cast and chemistry with decent character arcs, questions and mysteries that spark their own imagination, and (speaking more abstractly here) a script with characters and conflicts from Lawrence “I wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi” Kasdan, which would be an area where I don’t think he saw us as stupid, and instead figured that someone else was running quality control on areas he wasn’t focused on.

He also expected and hoped the audience would love Rey, Finn, Poe, and even Kylo as much as he did and the way he did, and enjoy the action and conflict the way he did; and he put what depth he thought would intrigue and interest the audience there… and was more right than wrong at the time.

It never occurred to him he’d be coming back to make a sequel to a story where someone else came in who had a worse, more shallow, and more stupid view of the franchise and characters, and shoved them into those roles, or who hated speculation and excitement in mysteries so much they’d contemptuously give lazy, unsatisfying answers on purpose… or that LFL would prove even more shallow and stupid and make demands that demanded removing and ignoring even what little sense Johnson had left in the story.

He wanted to get out the door with his professional reputation ass in hand when he realized the shallowest, stupidest, most demanding part of his audience were his bosses at LFL.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    2Cleva, Darth Smurf, RetropME and 2 others like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Nah, JJ is just a shallow, mediocre filmmaker. Always has been.

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Abrams has got away with mediocrity for too long, and I think many people (certainly within the industry) now see him for what he is. He’s damaged a couple of franchises now, and there’s a bit of concern as to what his gaze will fall on next.

5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I enjoy most of his movies and honestly TFA was outstanding as a reboot where Rey, Finn, Kylo, Poe and Hux were wonderful new characters. He was called back to clean up the mess of an arrogant guy who mistreated the values of the franchise and who is still not done with explaining his crap. In addition having a studio doing a trilogy without a plan is not his fault either. I was glad when I heard he is coming back. Honestly some choices he made in TROS could have been different (the whole Emperor stuff + Rey Palpatine) but in the end his work has hundred times more star wars vibe than Johnsons wooden space chase that fails the tone, the story and the character arcs. I am pretty sure that if he had done the whole trilogy it would have been fantastic. It's not that TROS has on RT 86% because all fans felt that the movie was crap. It's because he hits the tone and the SW vibe. If you like the story or not is a matter of personal taste in the end

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  6. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Abrams is a Hollywood shill. Uncreative, exploitative, vapid and will only leave a stain on SW, and any other franchise he leeches onto. He was the worst possible filmmaker to bring into Star Wars, when what Star Wars required was a visionary and true cinematic filmmaker.

7. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Nah, that's Rian Johnson.

I'll take Abrams TACO BELL type films over Johnson's POOP ON A PLATE, BUT DECORATIVE type films any day of the week.

Disney needed an immediate return on their investment. A "visionary" was never gonna happen.

8. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    My opinion is that they are both awful in different ways. I knew JJ was going to be bad news when he was announced - I saw Star Trek 09. For the first half hour, I held on and thought "this is better than I thought" but around the Falcon appearing and that whole terrible sequence and then "people who knew him best" and ending with Han not taking a map to Luke to Leia, I knew it was done for. I should have walked out when Han was killed but I was trapped in the middle of an aisle and came with a friend - ironically, the on who really got me into SW and didn't have a problem with TFA and loved TLJ. We just don't talk about that. Go figure.

TLJ is awful for other reasons. What's that Tolstoy line about every happy family being the same but unhappy families are different? I had no expectations of Rian Johnson since I'd never seen any of his work. After TLJ and the resulting media tour, I will never see any of his work.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    TLJ is not at all illustrative of RJ's other work, though, while TFA is definitely representative of JJ's.

RJ's Knives Out, Looper and Brick are films I really enjoy. TLJ is an anomalous failure (well, perhaps also Brothers Bloom, which was a Wes Anderson ripoff).

Darth Nave, Darth PJ and Shadao like this.
  10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes - I certainly agree with that.

Shadao and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I actually liked his first Star Trek film. But I definitely didn't agree with the sentiment that quickly popped up about how that movie was everything Star Wars should strive to be.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think I would actually state that TLJ anomalous nature for both the Star Wars franchise and for Johnson’s own filmography is that it illustrates why he’s not a natural fit for Star Wars, and why he’s an especially poor fit for a Trilogy film focused on a female main character and her heroic black male lead - that he’s quite capable of making a good Star Wars movie in a technical sense, but his instincts, preferences, and perspective of the franchise are much less “plug and play” than expected given he *does* still have an enthusiasm for the franchise.

Johnson excels naturally in crime fiction because that’s where his instincts go - a more cynical worldview, more self-concerned/absorbed anti-heroes who are usually white guys like he is, a larger history of taking expected archetypes and twisting them in self-analysis, striving to surprise or shock the audience first and foremost, and a firm foundation in the mundane world.

In contrast, he doesn’t gravitate naturally towards thinking through the speculative nature of Star Wars (even more so than the notoriously unconcerned Abrams) and instead seems to regard it with confusion or apathy, seems to genuinely struggle with the less conventional (for mainstream movies) nature of a sci-fi female action hero, doesn’t have a sense of awareness about a larger narrative outside his film, and doesn’t quite grasp how Star Wars uses archetypes as starting points to create less archetypal characters by the end.

TLJ is him trying to apply his instincts and perspective on a story that is the opposite of them, and strolling his way unaware into a mess of short-sighted contradictions, wasted opportunities, plot-hole-littered short cuts, and an inability to understand or connect with characters whose heroism and POV are too selfless or unusual for him. Some small part of those aspects leaked through in Looper, but because it was still a crime story centered on a cynical self-concerned white dude first and foremost, Looper didn’t implode.

We usually don’t agree, but I would here, with a caveat.

ST 09 is definitely a Star Trek film rather than a Star Wars film in Star Trek clothing, particularly when one remembers how uneven Star Trek can be, and how much in hindsight it remains on the DS9 side of “still optimistic and hopeful, just not painfully so” of the spectrum that has darkened considerably afterwards.

But, I will say that Abrams demonstrated that his style and instincts were more suited to a Star Wars story than Star Trek… albeit probably best as a director for someone else’s story, particularly if that someone else was Lucas overseeing as producer.

I know there’s at least some rumors that Lucas actually likes Abrams the way Spielberg does, even if he doesn’t particularly like any of the ST, and I think that makes sense - Abrams’s skill set and professionalism would likely have made him excellent in the type of “execute my vision” role that Lucas wanted for Marquand back in the 80’s but had struggled with.

I don’t think Lucas would have had any problem with Abrams’s camera work, directing style, or more “I get to play in the toy box!” energy. What some people want to label as “amateurish” or “lightweight” in Abrams’s directing style might actually be bonuses to Lucas since they also translate to fun, enthusiastic, and energetic much like TCW. Where Lucas would want to put the clamps down would be on story and likely some art direction… but I think he’d be good otherwise.

(For the record, I think the same thing would apply to Johnson, albeit that I think Johnson would probably lack some enthusiasm once things he didn’t care about became prioritized.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is very hard to argue with. Well said.

godisawesome likes this.
  14. Brer79

Brer79 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2017

I never had a problem with JJ's film skills. Actually, for being one of my least favorite entries, TFA is the easiest to sit thru.
    Where JJ lost almost all his points for me was the story telling.
    He took the easy way and did ANH again.
    Even TPM, which took a lot from ANH, still ended up being a very different feel of a story.
    This is where everyone should have sat down, and instead of asking,
    "How do we make a bunch of money off this Star Wars movie?".
    They should have asked,
    "How do we not only make a great return on this Star Wars movie, but also continue a story that's six entries long, and make it into a trilogy?".

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    JJ is just mainstream mediocrity personified.

16. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep. Only reason he has his career is because of family connections.

17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Abrams is a product of a Hollywood system that celebrates the banal and trite. He’s worked his way up from writing really poor films, to directing/producing really poor films. He has been afforded opportunities way above his ability, but Hollywood is probably the least meritocratic industry out there… where talent and craft come second to obedience and the willingness to protect and reflect the vested interests of those that have the power, whom believe ‘art’ is purely transactional.

18. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Abrams is one of those directors that Lucas would hire to simply direct his vision of Star Wars. At best, influencing how the characters would interact with one another as well as establishing set locations and framing the shots. But ultimately, the final say would be by Lucas himself and based on behind-the-scenes footage of TESB and ROTJ, he was very involved with the film production.

But the myth of the TESB and ROTJ directors being the "true" brains of the Star Wars OT perpetuated by the media in the early 2000s naturally led to the misguided belief of appointing Abrams as a storyteller in charge of continuing the whole Star Wars saga... without Lucas to serve as executive creative advisor. You know that story of how Lucas casually brought a possible story arc of Luke becoming the new Darth Vader after Vader dies in ROTJ... then immediately shut it down before anyone else even entertain the possibility? Something tells me that Richard Marquand and Lawarence Kasdan would have gone for that story if Lucas wasn't there.

19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree re. Lucas' role. I think it would be fair to say that TESB, as it exists today, would not be possible without someone like Kersh as director... However, George Lucas was, and always was, the most fundamental and singularly irreplaceable person behind it all. Lucas (IMO) needed more collaborators to get the very best out of Star Wars, but his exclusion from the ST is probably the single biggest mistake of SW as a whole.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No way would George Lucas have chosen someone with as unimaginative a visual style as JJ Abrams, even as just an executor of his vision.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Lucas admitted in the audio commentary tracks that he actually directed both ESB and ROTJ.

Darkslayer and RetropME like this.
  22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    More so ROTJ than TESB… which doesn’t mean that he wasn’t all over TESB, but Kershner was very much the director.

RetropME and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    Let's get things straight. TLJ was a beautiful looking film. The humour at the beginning was awful, and ruined the character of Hux and made him look like a buffoon. Canto Bight should have been extended and more developed. Finn was wasted. Poe got all his character development. BB8 save the day 3 times with silly antics. Too much. The fact that he left the 3rd lesson on the cutting room floor really sums up this film.

JJ what can I say. What was the knock on him, couldnt land an ending? Well the last 30 minutes was absolutely beautiful. Palpatine coming back would have worked if he looked even more decrepid. The plot was a perfect mess as it made you unsure of what you were getting next. I had been on reddit and knew most of the leaks, but even I was stunned thinking Chewie was dead. Thinking Rey had really killed Kylo. Lump in my throat how Leia turned Kylo. Kylo talking to Han. Luke training Leia.
    It was the most action packed and emotional Star Wars since ROTS.

JJ nailed what Star Wars is it's just a shame he didnt direct all three.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I think JJ was the worst possible candidate to direct TFA. His approach to setting up things is to make mystery boxes, empty promises that he can't fulfill. He sets up questions he doesn't have the answers to. Someone else should have directed TFA, someone with vision, and a best case scenario would have been Lucas directing, and then passing on the baton to other directors, which he contemplated. To me, TLJ and TRoS work for the most part. With some alterations they could be great even. JJ let loose with TRoS in a way he didn't with TFA. I think the dense action suits the final instalment of a trilogy well. RotS, RotJ and TRoS all have a lot of things going on. JJ's style fit the last film of the trilogy better, and it shines through more in TRoS, because he isn't just ticking boxes for nostalgia bait. The first instalment of the trilogy needed to be something new and bold, like ANH and TPM, that would create a new design philosophy and a bold new direction for the story. Lucas' ST would have probably done this. But I at least appreciate Johnson taking TLJ in unexpected directions, and JJ taking TRoS consequently in other unexpected directions. TFA as the soft reboot is the missing link in the trilogy and the saga. In some ways I can understand them going really safe on the first Disney Star Wars film, because they wanted their money back, and in a way the safeness of it fed into the bolder decisions the sequels would take.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it and ROTS are the worst-looking Star Wars films, from a cinematography perspective.

alwayslurking likes this.