main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams (Director Of TFA & TROS) Discussion Thread—Now Finally Discussing: JJ Abrams

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    This isn't about what each person does in the movie, it's about what their respective roles are, and Finn never was the lead. Starting with him doesn't somehow make him the lead. ANH doesn't start with Luke, yet he is clearly the main character, while R2 and C-3PO most definately are not, and neither is Vader. All the effects of the force are connected to her, not to Finn. That makes her the lead. There was no point where Finn was in any way connected to the force. Nor was he the one who stood up to Kylo Ren, it was Rey who made the first move.

Rey also doesnt "go to Luke for some reason", the entire movie already hinted at that, especially the scene at Maz' castle.

That simply isn't true, the connection was already there, created in TFA.

Yes, it is very much debatable. There is nothing to indicate that Finn was the lead. He was not connected to the storyline surrounding the force. He was one of the big characters, and he remained in that role throughout the trilogy, and that's about it.

There was no shock twist of Rey being the "real" Jedi, nor was it ever hinted at that Finn would be the one. In fact, everything that happens to that point makes it clear that the force is connected to Rey. She is the one with the hidden past, she is the one who has a force-vision, she is the one who has a battle of the minds with Kylo Ren. All of that happens prior to the fight. Pretending that there was a sudden reversal makes no sense at all. Nothing hinted at Finn being the one, therefore no rug could possibly be pulled from under him.

Budding rivalry? What rivalry?
    He was basically nothing but a little bug for Kylo Ren, which he could toy with and torture a bit. He got destroyed by a Kylo Ren who was badly wounded and didn't even show a bit of care about the fight. The rivalry was clearly set up between Kylo Ren and Rey. They had the battle of the minds, she was the one that caused him to run to Snoke. Heck, Finn had a tough time dealing with a stormtrooper one-on-one, needing to be bailed out by Han.

What role could Finn possibly play with Luke?
    He had no business being there. Nor was he in any way "cut off at the knees". Sounds more like you desperately wanted him to be something he wasn't supposed to be. Not being a Jedi doesn't somehow make a character meaningless. Han and Leia weren't "cut off at the knees" just because they didn't go to visit Yoda, nor was there "literally nothing for them to do". This idea that you only mean something if you are a Jedi or directly get to engage the antagonist is just absurd.

I couldn't disagree more with your interpretation of the end-fight in TFA either. For one, there was never any reason to expect Finn to face Kylo Ren again. Secondly, the whole movie went out of its way to show how powerful Chewie's bowcaster was, blowing armored people away like it was nothing. Kylo Ren was hit by such a shot, a shot that should have killed him, yet he survived. And they showed that he was badly wounded multiple times afterwards. Yet even in that state, he throws Rey away like it is nothing, toys with Finn until he gets bored by the fight, and then has Rey constantly on her backfoot for the entire fight without much effort until they reach the chasm. Then, and only then, with him stopping to engage her, to try and turn her, and her reaching into the force, does she get the strength to fight back and overcome the badly wounded Kylo Ren.

2. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I didn't say he was. I was presenting a rebuttal to the concept of him being akin to Han. He can be prominent to the story as a character in regards to the structure and not be the leading character. I think I said something like Rey being in that role, to me. The effects of the force aren't really my main focus. Rey opens fire on Kylo. Finn is the one who takes the lightsaber and engages in a personal fight.

Rey has no connection to Luke as a person. Leia has no reason to send Rey.
    That's not a connection that I think TLJ was presenting, but a different one.

3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Totally agree JJ Abrams created Kylo Ren so writing him in as the big bad was hardly a big push and I can't understand why he didn't feel he could or want to do it as Kylo being the big bad was fully set up in TLJ an no hints of Palpatine what so ever so bringing him back was the biggest sticking point on TROS - I mean Colin Treverrow wasn't bring Palpatine back in the flesh so why the heck did Abrams [face_thinking]

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Terio has pointed to Kennedy and others wanting a Bigger Bad for Bendemption to happen against, and some of the later Trevorrow-script leaks have pointed at that as happening even before a Trevorrow lost the job (Sollony Ren, a treacherous KOR member who would usurp Kylo’s spot.).

I tend to think that Kylo Ren as the Big Bad only really serves Rey’s story well if he just stays evil and dies as the main villain, while a Kylo Ren who has to try and be the Big Bad and pull off a Bendemption doesn’t really help Rey or Ben, as it requires threading the needle on making him a contemptible enough villain for the audience to hate but also needs him to resolve the main conflict himself yet still keep the focus on Rey... and I don’t know if that’s really possible.

I think that if Kylo as the main villain were something LFL were really interested in, than Palpatine wouldn’t have come back - Boyega and others seem to imply he was never comfortable with treating Kylo as the male lead, and that was very much an LFL-derived decision.

5. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    They knew/felt/saw that Kylo wasn't a very marketable main villain after the backlash that TLJ got. If Kylo showed more power/threat and had Palpatine like powers (like how Gohan had these powers that Goku hadn't in Dragonball) then the audience may be more threatened by him. But when you have the female lead beat him twice, going into 9 what makes you think she won't do it again? Plus they saw Palpatine being the more bankable character.

chris hayes and godisawesome like this.
  6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I certainly think most of the ST’s ills start with TFA... and I believe most people who dislike (or think the ST sub par) feel the same. Bad concepts, weak characters and a very regressive/derivative story.

7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I can get that... but if a character can't hold the line as the main villain, they can't hold the line as the male lead, so Finn would still have likely worked better as Rey's partner in any final confrontation with a Big Bad. And I still say that TFA's fight between him and Rey left plenty of room for him to remain threatening going forward... the onus for his failure as a villain goes to the film that stripped him of the more objectively loathsome POV the character earned, downplayed the previously clear advantages he had over the main hero, and even took away what parts of his look were memorable.

I tend to think that while Kylo's maximum impact as a Big Bad was handicapped by how much TLJ failed to make him grow into that... he may have been salvageable for "pretty good to very good" villain with sufficient investment in making him dangerous and a more accurate POV of what he is...

...But that would also require acknowledging that he couldn't really pull off a redemption story at that point either, primarily because you couldn't let Ben Solo overshadow Rey. To me, the best answer for that, even in as late a date as TROS, would be to reveal Rey as a Skywalker and ensure she outshines Kylo/Ben in all things - legacy, strength of character, basic humanity - and avoid allowing a name and a legacy to buy Kylo's popularity above her, so he could be redeemed... as a supporting character to the "real" Skywalker.

I think after TFA, he was quite functional as the main villain, but not as "The Skywalker," while after TLJ, he was in need of rehabilitation as a villain and *still* inadequate as "the Skywalker"... and that unfortunately, LFL was determined to hit that latter square peg into a round hole.
    I can clearly see the seeds planted for the ST's weaknesses, though I'd call them "vulnerabilities" in TFA as opposed to "Cancers" in TLJ, except for in one area...

...Finn.

This is probably more Kasdan providing a great concept and enough good suggestions to get Abrams's better impulses in gear, but Finn has a genuinely interesting concept that gets executed well enough to actually be impressive, give him a strong character compare dot the other cast-members, and is not derivative and leans more towards progressive than regressive.

The main problem with him afterwards is far more LFL disliking him being in the spot of their preferred male lead.

But to the other weaknesses of the ST, I really do think that calling them vulnerabilities in TFA rather than weaknesses is more accurate - they could all function without waylaying and dooming the story in that film, but all pretty much required certain answers that it sounds like not even Abrams really wanted to follow up on, and that LFL and Johnson ran away from, dooming them.

Rey, if she was going to be based so much off Anakin and Luke in background and imagery, pretty much needed to be a Skywalker/Solo.

Finn, if he was going to be the male lead in a parallel to Obi-Wan or Han, needed either Force powers or the be Rey's love interest.

Kylo, if he was going to be the main villain, needed to be dynamic enough in the next films to beat Rey in their next encounter and become a true Big Bad... and needed Rey as a Skywalker or offset him being inadequate for that role and a horrible demolition of their happy ending in ROTJ.

Luke, if he was going to be absent in the first movie, needed an immediately understandable reason to be gone, and to train Rey.

Snoke, if he was going to be the catalyst for undoing ROTJ, needed a good origin and explanation.

The Galaxy, if it was going to be going through a repeat of the OT's conflict, needed intelligent and nuanced exploration of that idea.

The thing for me is that I'm inclined to think that all but the last two points were things most creators would have realized with the right POV... but I have no faith that Abrams would have realized that enough to make it clear, and I'm annoyed that Johnson had the wriong POV.

8. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    And reading that list you mentioned, those weaknesses could have still been addressed/fixed in TLJ. But RJ purposely tossed that list aside. That's why TFA doesn't work with TLJ and vice versa.

TLJ feels more of what Logan was to the Xmen series. A one off epilogue movie for Luke. JJ kinda tried to strengthen those weaknesses in TROS but it was really too late. Finn showed some force powers but so what? Why even show it now? Way too late. Kylo was a little more dynamic here than the previous film. Luke and Snoke though didn't really get backed up properly.

Also a question. You mentioned that they didn't like Finn being in that preferred male lead. LFL. Do we know if they were the ones to indicate for Johnson to write Finn away from Rey and into that goose chase? Or was that Johnson's plan all along?

I just don't get the hate LFL had for Finn/Boyega if that's the case. Why even bring him into TFA if race/character/overshadowing is going to be a problem? They wanted Driver to be the main more popular guy over Boyega? I mean I felt like there was enough pieces of the pie to go around for the four mains in this. Could have been a love triangle between the 3 and caused conflict/jealously between Finn and Rey to. If fans/audience liked Finn so much in TFA and LFL was really thrown off by that then shame on them.

Because I felt Finn had the potential to be one of the most outstanding characters in the franchise. He could have been super bankable to.

godisawesome likes this.
  9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It’s all largely subjective of course, and in some ways dependant on ones view of Luke’s characterisation, Finn’s progression and the positioning of ‘Rylo’ in TLJ. For me, whilst those things are of course fundamental, it’s TFA that sets the scene with such structurally weak foundations, that I think pretty much any sequel to TFA would have failed. And whilst not condoning what Johnson did with TLJ, I’m not sure it’s fair to pin on him the accountability of making the Empire versus Rebels v2 plot more interesting, or taking inferior versions of OT villains/heroes and making them much more compelling, repairing the damage by not having the ability to have Luke, Leia and Han on screen together again etc.

PendragonM likes this.
  10. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    While I don't put much on Johnson for the lack of Han, and I do think TFA wasn't doing much new or interesting, I think TLJ didn't help really.

11. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    In my opinion, J J put more effort into directing Lost than Star Wars episodes 7 and 9.

12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Agreed...

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think Abrams put in the effort, but his brand of attachment to the original films hindered his creativity and led to something much too safe and stale. Both his Trek films have so much more style and energy to me compared to what he did in Star Wars.

14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I don't think the filmmakers hated Finn, but they clearly wanted Rey and Kylo together and it would be very difficult to do that with Finn around.

15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think LFL was still fundamentally convinced that Kylo was the male lead the series needed, and *did* regard Finn as a threat to that. I think they may have genuinely had a will to demote and dismiss him a bit in “defense” of Kylo, especially with the comics, cartoons, and inferred interference with his story in TROS.

Having said that, I don’t know if Johnson was told that by LFL, or if he instead simply displayed apathy towards Finn and Boyega that LFL took as confirmation of their own opinion. A lot of his stuff seems simply unaware of any complaints or possible alternative perspective, and he only really made one film. I think he also may have deliberately tried to sabotage Finn as the male lead and Rey’s companion... but only in so far as he strove to divide them, with everything else just being a lack of care for Finn.

16. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    Or maybe Rian saw what some of the viewers saw... that Finn wasn't a good character in TFA. All he did was drool after Rey. In TLJ he had his own story arc separate from hers and was his own person at the end of the movie with his own motivations and goals. And then in TROS he was back to being the simpleton running after Rey and screaming her name like a crazy person.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  17. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    His own story arc was a B plot that had him stumble through it that's barely relevant to his character (it being DJ going "don't join" using nonsense logic and then Finn going "you're wrong" not long after, that some would think he already could've learned by Han pointing out the situation to him and seeing Han die) or the plot of the movie as a whole (only relevant based on the plot of the movie being too dumb to consider that 2 force users, one of which can apparently use a force bond to project 2 people to see eachother, and another who is shown to sense his mom, could sense almost no one was on the ship) and can still be seen as a poor retread of his arc from TFA, that assumes Finn's character hasn't already reached that point (him having bonded with Han and Poe, and the movie show what I think is a reaction of horror and then anger at Han's death) after Han points out the situation to him, he sees Han die and fights and is hurt by Kylo. I think Finn operates on no active personal motive by the end of TLJ, and that TLJ holds the Finn character hostage in a pointless arc of him becoming a rebel, a further retread, to me, of Han Solo, instead of using the potential of the character's connection to the stormtrooper concept. I think it's borderline filler as an arc and serves little, as if the movie started and Finn was committed to the resistance, I don't think many, if any, would question it. He didn't only drool after Rey. That's just not true.

18. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    TLJ is the longest Star Wars movie ever and it doesn't follow up on anything from TFA, characterizations, plot hooks etc. I really wish they had just had Arbams direct and write the whole thing. Finn's plot in TLJ could have been left on the cutting room floor well like 90% of it anyway and it wouldn't have affected the movie. Heck we waste so much time on Poe and Holdo. About 2/3 of TLJ is pointless filler and I am sure that JJ would have done better than that

2Cleva, Chémus, reyvision and 4 others like this.
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    ...Yeah, that just sounds like an argument willfully ignoring what actually happens on screen, and hoping Finn gets “put in his place” away from Rey. The guy’s the main reason Starkiller Base gets blown up, and his portrayal and chemistry with Rey won several awards and was a constant highlight talked about with TFA, which was by far the most successful and positively received of the ST.

And he had his own motivations, goals, and story arc in TFA. It was deeper than what he got in TLJ, more ambitious than what he got in TLJ, and actually complements Rey’s story, which is one reason among many why her story in TFA got a much better reception than her story in TLJ.

The biggest problem for LFL, it seems, so that it was a complementary arc with *Rey*, and they wanted that for Kylo... and we’re either too lazy or too blind to make actual adjustments to pull off their desired switch without screwing up all three characters: Rey has her spine and humanity extracted so she can “bond” with Kylo, Finn gets demoted and mocked by a film that isn’t interested in him, and Kylo suffers a permanent characterization handicap because TLJ doesn’t develop him any further but demands he be treated differently.

2Cleva, Jedi_Fenrir767 and reyvision like this.
  20. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    I honestly don't know how anyone could say that Abrams could do better after TFA and especially TROS. He should never have been let anywhere near Star Wars.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    ezekiel22x likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    RJ is superior to JJ, his movies shows that and all JJ dosen't do movies, he does products. the only intresting thing he did is maybe Lost.

22. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    In all honesty JJ and RJ should never have been let anywhere near Star Wars. I enjoyed TFA but the mystery boxes which JJ loves had the potential to be incredibly problematic which they did become. TROS suffered a lot because of both JJ and RJ creating just a mess that was very difficult to conclude in one film. At least if JJ had done VIII we would have had one consistent through line and plot for the ST instead of this completely uncohesive mess that it turned into

23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    it's the combination of Abrams and Johnson without any overall storyteller that really kills it for me: I actually like both directors - TLJ is the only Johnson film I think is genuinely bad, while I actually like Abrams's films and think TFA is the best ST film by far - but they have radically different creative instincts, skills, and priorities (which may reflect more of a disagreement between LFL and Abrams about the main characters), and neither is used to running a three part story - Abrams is a starter, not a finisher, and Johnson does stand-alone stuff, while the whole point of a Star Wars Trilogy is tellign a story that builds on itself.

If either man was given all three films and told to make a single story, or if there was someone above them to actually make the major decisions for the story, I think the three-film story could have been competently constructed, if not necessarily inspiring. But with the way it actually unfolded, it makes it seem like three films arguing with each other.

24. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    ^100% accurate

While I believe it wouldn't have been as bad if there were one director, I still think both of these individuals were exactly wrong for Star Wars. There simply isn't anything beyond a passing acknowledgement for the previous material or the spirit in which it was crafted in the first place. For the most part, I get the impression from the ST "creatives" that established Star Wars lore was viewed as an obstacle to be avoided, rather than an asset to be further developed. Sure, each seemingly liked certain aspects of Star Wars in passing, but I do not get any inclination from either of them that there was any focus on respecting that past or a desire to bring it into a higher resolution such that their new material provided the same sort of platform to build upon that GL had.

ChildOfWinds and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  25. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Overtime I have seriously come to dislike JJ as a filmaker. I did enjoy some of his films but Super 8 and Both of his Trek films were just not great. 2009 was okay but had some serious problems. You can see all of those issues amped up to about 10 though in how he put together TROS. I just don't feel like either JJ or RJ really love the franchise and Kasdan is probably the only reason VII was an okay Star Wars films. Suffice it to say JJ and his team have left a stain on both Trek and Wars currently. TFA and 2009 while being good starts had some shaky ground underneath them and both franchises have tumbled since. While Star Wars has caught itself with the Mandalorian. Trek is in a far worse position thanks to Kurtzman having been given the reigns. It's ironic how similar the position of both franchises are and the problems arguable start with JJ. Trek is underperforming and if CBS had anything else to sell all access with Star Trek would probably go back in the vault as it is it's their only way to sell all access so they are continuing with it despite it not being nearly as profitable and Netflix straight up passing on Picard after how bad Discovery S1 did for them in terms of ROI. Star Wars suffered the same fate with stumbling and underperforming while still being profitable thankfully LFL has competent people in charge of the TV division that have stopped the bleeding while the latter has continued.

If Sci-Fi wasn't in the sorry state that is is right now and now real contenders for the throne both Trek and Wars would have to be very concerned. While the Expanse is great and has a good TV adaptation (the books are so much better) it didn't quite capture audiences and the second season wasn't as good as the first. If someone creates a new incredibly compelling Sci - Fi or say adapts Mass Effect to the small or Big Screen and fixed the issues with the series ending both Trek and Wars would be in serious trouble.

eko32eko7 likes this.