main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWanCon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    " Star Trek's continuity is fine..."

*cough*Future's End*cough*
    *cough*no Eugenics Wars*cough*

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm not holding my breath for this new direction. Classic ST characters played by different actors will be a tough challenge. The badge in the poster was the original Enterprise's insignia, so if it's set on anything but the Enterprise I will be slightly disappointed.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I think I'm primed for disappointment whatever happens, to be honest. :(

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Then just think the worst and it should be all right. :D

5. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I like the idea of Abrams being involved - bringing in someone on such a successful streak will give the franchise the validity it should have with a new generation.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am scared of this film, especially when I hear that Matt Damon is rumoured to play a young Kirk. *shudder*

The only good thing is that Paramount appears to have taken control of Trek away from idiot Rick Berman and that can only be a good thing.

7. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    alot of Berman bashing in here. He was in charge of Star Trek for many years w/o any complaints. Now I wasn't a fan of Enterprise but that's what everyone kept writting in saying they wanted to see. Everyone wanted a prequel show taking place in the early days of Starfleet. I personally hated the idea, and my fears were realized after a few episodes of Enterprise.

I can't say for sure whether or not it ever was obvious that Kirk and Spock didn't know each other from the academy. The only line I can really think of is from The City on the Edge of Forever, where Kirk asks Edith where she thought Spock belonged, and she replied "at your side, as though he'd always been there, and always will...."

Now after seeing Enterprise and some very poorly restored (SFX) classic episodes. I'll remain worried about where this headed.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Normally I don't post this late but I wanted to say this: The gripping about Berman's direction of Trek, started during the latter years of Voyager, when Braga started getting more power, so it wasn't like all of a sudden Enterprise came along and we all jumped ship and started bashing him. Most of us saw problems with the franchise long before that, problems that maybe Berman himself could not see after helming the ship for so long.

I will say that it's too bad Paraborg threw him over for Abrams and direct control over who would write/direct/produce the franchise. Perhaps this time away may have recharged Berman's jets and he may have had an idea or two about where to take the franchise next.

I'd be more worried if the rumors I heard today over Tom Cruise starring in this new Trek film prove to be true (hopefully not given the tattered state of Cruise's relationship with Paraborg)

9. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Cruise will be playing a time traveler that will visit Kirk and enlist his aid in trying to stop xanu from imprisoning all of these bad aliens in earth's vulcanoes.

10. The_Eye_of_Strilo

The_Eye_of_Strilo Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    I've been bashing him for years. I started to get concerned when they had two television shows on at the same time and they went RIGHT into production on Generations. Ever since then I've had issues with the man. All my fears and concerns on what would happen have come true.

11. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    My only problem would be in the area of set design and continuity from that. The sets for ENTERPRISE looked like they pretty much bypassed the ST:eek:T which they proceeded. And looked closer in design to that of ST:TNG. So we would need to see the NCC-1701 bridge and ship as it existed during the 1960's show. As opposed to the TNG era. That really annoyed me. So I hope they get it right. A future bookend segment with the Enterprise D or A crew would be good to. Maybe an event in the Kirk/Spock academy days triggers an occurence in the 23rd Century. And Kirk/Spock flashback to their academy days. And Matt Damon as Kirk. I can see that happening.
    Same could work for Picard, Riker and the rest of the Enterprise-D crew. And the bonus is you can have Shatner, Nimoy, or any other Enterprise-A crew member as a Professer at the Academy. Tom hardy who played Praetor Shinzon in Nemisis. He could make a great Picard.

12. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I really can't envision Shatner being featured in the film, even if bookending a flasback movie. He is just too old, and in-universe, it has been 12 years since he died (1994 - Generations). He is just too old, too fat, too grey to look convincingly pre 1994.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- those Direct TV ads with him inserted into Star Trek 6 with makeup to make him look like the Shatner from 15 years ago only barely work because it's just headshots- and even then the makeup is fairly obvious. It couldn't work for a feature film even if the chronology agreed with the possibility.

Unless the reverse-aging CGI makeup they tried out on Stewart and Ian in X3 can be ramped up to 11 (no pun intended), I don't even think that could work- you'd basicly be CGI'ing everything but Shatner's voice by that point (so, ironicly, his hair will be the most realistic feature about him, for once ;) ).

14. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Good point... and if you were going to go all the way with a CGI Kirk, then you may as well make him look like the Kirk of the TOS era, then what the heck, CGI animate the whole thing, ie: CGI Shatner, Nimoy, etc...

Make it IMAX CGI 3D and really reboot the series...

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I dunno though... he HAS lost a good deal of the huge stomach he was getting. He may not look like he did in 1991, but he looks better than he did 3 years ago.

16. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Well I think the fan base has persuaded them to rethink the original idea for this movie. From what I am understanding they are not commiting to that idea and are exploring more options. I guess we'll see.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    will they start a new franchise or go w/ an old one? (i.e. TOS, TNG, DS9, etc.) i wouldn't mind another TNG movie :)

18. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    They should just do what a lot of fans want, and do a super-movie, featuring a mix of the cast of TNG / DS9 / VOY. Make it an epic event and bring back Sisko, make him mortal again. Bring back Data, make his memories somehow evolve from B9.

And Q never featured yet in a film... he has ties to all three series.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    B4. Not B9. I think a mixed cast would be cool. Picard on one ship, Riker on another. Admiral Janeway working with Picard. Throw in a few people from each cast (though not too many DSP, that show sucked) and do something different. Make it something accessible to normal people, instead of catering a film to the fans. And don't let Rick Berman anywhere near it.

20. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    ...And it could be a sequel to the last Star Trek film and feature Romulans, becuase even more importantly, isn't Spock still alive in-universe? Leonard Nimoy could feature, have Shatner appear in flashbacks, and you would have an uber-Star Trek film!

21. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I doubt that would work, or they'd just do another TNG movie. People get hyped up over restarts and fresh faces. Look at Batman, Superman, James Bond etc.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    A story line involving Spock would be cool but no Shatner appearing in flashbacks. The man is too old to ever play Kirk again. And anyway this should be done WELL not simply throwing in everything but the kitchen sink and hoping that people will like it.

23. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    I'm stoked for it, but I have a feeling it's going to be a box office bust. I just don't think Trek is ready to move back into the mainstream. I have mixed feelings about a reboot. Part of me says that'd be a really bad idea, and part of me knows that I'm obsessed with the reimagined BSG.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There is certainly no need for them to rush. It will take a while before the world is not sick of Star Trek. There was serious overload on how much was out there and the world just got saturated with too much Star Trek. If they took 5 years to figure this out and make the next film, that would be totally fine. Rushing at this point to make something would be a mistake in my opinion.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    DS9 did not suck.:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.