main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Jabba´s denizens

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ithorians, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I was thinking about these designs in relative terms to new ones, and the first thing that came to mind was Jedi Rocks. I sure plenty of people like it, but for me there was no comparison with Lapti Nek. Didn't get the change at all: from a musical point of view, Jedi Rocks sounds like something we could hear in a concert here, while Lapti Nek always felt more alien to me. But that point aside, I preferred the designs of the band and the non cgi versions of them. They felt so real!

whostheBossk, Darth Caliban and Sarge like this.
  2. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I hate "Jedi Rocks" with a passion. One of the worst scenes in all of Star Wars ever.

Lapti Nek is more than superior!

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  4. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Ooo you wouldn't believe it, but I was just, just singing it in my head and I see your post! It was uncanny! Well, or maybe not that uncanny, since I've been singing it non-stop since we started talking about it here [face_laugh]... but still!

5. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    At least you know the words! I had to look them up.

Ithorians and Darth Caliban like this.
  6. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Ohh no, I only sing it like "djakjheurgf, uekwhedkfg" (everyone around staring). But well, huttese is hard. I pick up some words like "kuchufuaki" and "palmeethasa", but learning it? "son beetaleh" for me, I'm afraid.

7. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

What the heck is that grotty looking thing that’s lounging on the floor? I never seen her before.

8. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Looks like she has boobs!?!

CloneBlooper likes this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's an Elom, Tanus Spijek. He's male.

10. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    True. I actually don't mind most of the alterations in the Special Editions, but I could never get behind Jedi Rocks.

Ithorians and Darth Caliban like this.
  11. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    It's Tanus Spijek indeed! All I remember about him is that in legends he was a Rebel spy infiltrated in Jabba´s palace, but true enough, he is less prominent than other denizens in the palace scenes. Interesting design, though...

12. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    He's dude apparently. So I guess they're moobs.

C.Roach likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Why didn't GL CGI a mansiere onto him?

CloneBlooper likes this.
  14. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    These designs are legendary. As a kid I had the ROTJ lunchbox with Luke in Jabbas Palace pulling out his blaster and it still brings back feelings of that strange place 40 years later! Happy anniversary this year ROTJ!
    I like all the creatures and nice to see them re-use some classic designs (take note ST).
    I like how they made the Tessek in the Mandalorian first episode like Davey Jones Squid Head person feel more alive.
    And the bounty hunters they had in there was good to see, especially after I got wide screen and saw Dengar and Bossk.

StoneRiver, Django Fett and Ithorians like this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    You know, Jim Henson once talked about making an inflatable nightclub to drop into a major city. As fun as that would be, I think we JCF folks would have a good time dressing up as the beings in Jabba's palace for a party. As a kid, I was like, "Wow, this place is scary. But also, look at all the creativity that it took to make this place." I may not like how the structure of the film was handled in some ways, but I'll never deny that Jabba's place filled me with a sense of realism. I try to be more positive about aliens, nanomachine beings, and other members of sapientkind. Even so, it's hard not to feel sorry for aliens, good or bad, for all the speciesism they've experienced.

CT-867-5309 and Ithorians like this.
  16. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I always felt that Jabba´s Palace was this opportunity to revisit the greatly successful concept of Mos Eisley´s Cantina. This are places full of (to us) strange life forms that illustrate fantastically how big the galaxy really is, but also the fact that they all seem to be able to get along or at least share a common space without problems beyond the ones that comes with their characters (they are, after all, mostly criminals). Droids seem to have a bad time in either case, haha.

Still, since ESB only have one scene of evil alien characters somewhat interacting with each other (bounty hunters meeting), as a kid I used to make the parallel between the cantina and the palace, and the younger I was, the more my focus was set on them. To this day, I simply love that the characters there are not human, that they speak different languages (remember being disappointed to hear Plo Koon speaking basic, even if it can make sense) and have clearly different trades and perspectives... in perfect contrast to the Imperial uniformity that makes, of course, for an excellent iconography itself.

17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Agreed. The old EU and the Disney EU both paint the Star Wars galaxy as a human-majority galaxy, and to me, this is where all the aliens come to hang out, play music, etc. And I'm with you on that. Williams' Cantina music is classic. I wish they had not removed the song that he and his son had made for Jabba. It's a great workout song. I don't hate the Jedi Rocks song as much as others, but I like what they've done with those aliens elsewhere in literature as opposed to that silly music number. Heh.

Ithorians and whostheBossk like this.
  18. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I was always a fan of Oola, for uhmm reasons... :p

19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    When one reads about her backstory in the EU, it's impossible not to sympathize with her.

Personally, I think that Jabba's palace and the forest moon of Endor are perfect beginning courses for Luke Skywalker in ROTJ. Jabba's gangsters and allies are dangerous, but Luke uses his wits and power to overcome them. The Imperial forces on Endor are faster and a bit more dangerous, but he defeats them, as well. So, all of these non-Force-wielding adversaries are like training prior to Luke facing Darth Vader and the Emperor, both of whom are far more challenging than anyone else Luke has faced in this film.

20. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I suspect someone at Lucasfilm was a fan of the Sadistic Mika Band...

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Jabba's Palace is like the Cantina on steroids.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Agreed, and I hope we all know excessive steroids are bad.

BlackRanger likes this.
  23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea Oola's backstory in the EU and the slightly toned down version in canon, is downright disturbing. Going by the film alone she's just a space-stripper, but her backstory drives home how non-consensual her predicament was.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even in the movie she's chained to Jabba's throne - it's not too hard to conclude that, just like Leia, she's a captive.

25. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    True, but you don't realize just how bad her situation is unless you read the EU, real human trafficking/silence of the lambs stuff. Femi Taylor herself is real cool and doesn't seem to be bothered by the treatment of her character if you watch interviews with her.

Iron_lord likes this.