main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Jabba the Hutt's Tribble-Free Holodeck and All-Day Buffet: FF Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by oqidaun, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Hello everyone!

I hope everything goes okay with your grandmother, mav. [:D]

Face, nice colors! I am just thrilled to pieces that your team won (I was pretty worried toward the end for awhile).

I don't have any good ideas, brodiew. :( I usually just write if it's quiet in here.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Happy birthday, mav!! [:D] I'm sorry about your grandmother :(

3. kotorchick

kotorchick Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    Ooo, Time's Arrow... TNG goodness. I'm more partial to the Inner Light, where Picard plays the lovely little flute thing... gets me teary.

Mav, best wishes with your family . And happy b-day!

So we have several college students, or at least recent ones. What stuff did y'all find indispensable to your dorm? What was stuff you thought you needed but didn't? I'm trying to get a packing list going...

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Me too; any and all advice is helpful.

5. kotorchick

kotorchick Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    Yay for trying to get all this stuff together. I've already been to most of the homeware stores here in town- but I havea feeling more trips will be made.

6. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    'Morning all!

Gah, I can't wait for my working hours to finish today... Since I'm the only one currently at the lab, as a small crisis arouse this morning I was sent to do something that's totally out of my job's description with the result that I stepped over several peoples toes, got whipped in my fingers by one of the top bosses and had to apologize profusely for something that's not my fault at all...

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That sucks :( [:D]

Yeah, I made one huge trip to Target with my aunt and now have to return/exchange half the stuff 8-}

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm watching 'The Ultimate Computer'. DRL stole a lot of time from me from my marathon. :mad:

Sorry to hear, G_J. :( [:D] Try to be nice for some people...

9. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    [Han's voice]I AM nice...[/Han's voice] *clears throat* woman... :p

But what's one to do when you call someone on the phone to ask for something that's THEIR job and they hang without hearing you out? And then when you call 5' later insisting that your matter is urgent (which it was!) they dismiss you with barely a 'I'll see what I can do'... I went for the next step in the ladder. But in between this person had already talked to her boss about the crisis and she (the boss) chewed me out for being anxious after letting me talk and asking me a lot of questions (about other problems in the lab) for 10 full minutes. Then after that the other woman was mightly pissed with me and I had to apologize in order to keep the peace.

Update: the lady boss called me again, now all sweet and sugar and we're best friends or something now (and that I owe her 7 dozens of pastries) O_O. And she's paying a visit to my lab on monday. Oh, joy.

10. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    I think my #1 most indispensable item would be my slippers. I bring a lot of books to college with me, so I found [link=http://www.target.com/Storage-Solutions-6-Cube-System-Frost/dp/B000MPO5F4/ref=sc_ri_2/602-6119175-1489411]these wire storage units[/link] to be really helpful. They aren't hard to set up, and they're easy to transport. If your college is old school and doesn't have a card reader on the washing machines, bring lots of quarters.

Having a few dishes, silverware, and mugs are handy, and a hotpot if you don't have a microwave. If you're into cooking and have easy access to a kitchen, a lot of my friends had cake pans or small pots and used them a lot. A small clip-on lamp or desk lamp can be handy if you stay up later than your roommate.

I can't think of anything I didn't end up needing, but I know they existed. I always ended up bringing too many houseplants and books. :p

I'm sorry, Golden_Jedi - not a fun situation. Kudos for keeping the peace (definitely not the easiest thing to do), and I hope you have a relaxing weekend after such a bummer day. [:D]

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [:D] GJ.

Do you just wash the dishes with dishsoap in the kitchen?

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Force Ghost star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Indispensible items: stereo, extra pillow, air freshener, favorite soda stockpile for depressed nights.

Stuff I really didn't need at all: extra blankets, ironing board, shoe organizer.

I finally came into some money this week and had a little extra, so I decided to get something from the thrift store instead of going out to eat. Well, I was trying on this really cute dark-red denim jacket over a white tanktop when the tag from the tank top sliced open my shoulder. Luckily, I didn't stain anything (I got the jacket), but it hurts!

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ow!! [:D]

Ooo, air freshiner, good idea. Though an iPod can probably suffice since I don't listen to the radio.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, I hate going without radio. I like the Spanish station (Hits only! is their slogan) too much.

15. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    The number one indispensable, absolutely necessary, may-as-well-drop-out,-move-back-home-and-never-emerge-if-you-don't-have-one item? A nice hat. And no, a baseball cap will not suffice.

Admit it, you thought I was going to go with something silly like an inflatable Godzilla, right? Don't know me as well as you thought you did, do you?

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] A nice hat, really? Why?

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ooh, that's a good one. I have a dark-red brocaded pageboy cap that makes my face look narrow and lovely.

18. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    HELP! There are photos on facebook of my Ex fiancee with his new girlfriend all cuddly and romantic at the beach trip *I* was at... I feel like crap. How can he find the love being so creepy and I can't?

19. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Because she's an idiot and you're not?

20. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    Yep, or even in the bathroom sink, which sounds a little gross, but it's fine just scrubbing them with soap and a sponge and rinsing them out. I found dishes really handy to have.

I brought a clothing rack my first few years and never really used it, and it's a lot to carry.

SpiritofEowyn, sorry to hear that. :( There's a lid for every pot, though. You'll find a winner, don't worry. [:D]

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Indispensable items:

1) duvet cover for your comforter - this way, you can take it off and throw it in the laundry with your sheets, without worrying about how you'll wash your comforter

2) Febreeze air freshener

3) stapler!

4) milk crates are great for storing random items. Plus, they stack well

5) any storage container that will slide under your bed

6) it's probably against the rules, but if you can smuggle a small George Foreman grill into your room, you'll be golden. Also, a small 3-cup rice cooker - you can make mac&cheese, soups, and lord knows what else in this thing - be creative (assuming you can't have a mini microwave in your room)

7) shower slippers (if you're sharing with the rest of the floor)

8) regular slippers to wear around the dorm - much more comfortable than always pulling on tennis shoes

9) headphones/earplugs - you never know when you'll need quiet

10) an alarm clock! Because you have to wake up eventually to go to class. :p

11) dry-erase board for your door, so people can leave messages (both useful and slightly dirty notes)

12) full-length mirror

13) fabric softener sheets - you can toss these into the dryer, and they'll keep your clothes smelling nice. Otherwise, if you use softener in the wash, you'll be subjecting your clothes to the weird metallic smell of the dryer.

14) cold-water detergent. This way you can wash everything together - lights, whites, brights.

Over-the-door shoe organizers can be useful for storing socks and underwear, freeing up closet and dresser space. Also, those hanging shelf contraptions for your closet are also a big help, if you don't have a dresser in the room.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm old and can't remember right now. :p

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks, Jade!! [:D]

[:D] Eowyn. He's a jerk :(

23. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I wanted to watch Olympic opening ceremonies. Station went out. How was the second half of the broadcast, since I didn't get to see it?

[:D] to mav and Eowyn.

And... a full length mirror?

24. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    I watched it Daena! It was good-ish I suppose, waited up till 2:30 in the morning for my team to come in (Aust.)

Loved the drums in the beginning, that was the best bit, but somehow I don't think it was as good as everyone was making it out to be.

[:D]for Mav, happy bday!

Cazz

25. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    At one point when NBC went to a commercial, I muted the TV and continued whatever I was doing on the computer. I guess I got distracted, because it was twenty or thirty minutes later when I realized I hadn't turned the sound back on. Surprisingly, I wasn't at all upset about it, so I just left the ceremony running with the sound off. Sometime during the Parade of Nations, I fell asleep. When I woke up this morning, it was still going. As I type this, they're now up to Morocco. [Really it's a rebroadcast, but for just a moment...]

EDIT: Hmm, I guess Morocco was one of the last countries, because host China came only three later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.