main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jabba the Hutt's Tribble-Free Holodeck and All-Day Buffet: FF Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by oqidaun, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL that's cute/weird.

2. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Online shopping is like digital crack. Amazon.com probably owns about 95% of my soul at the moment.

I know what you mean!

So I spent the afternoon researching Transformer toys, wow is that confusing! The sad part is they're for my husband (top of his Christmas list), I'm just not sure which kind he wants exactly, there are actually different levels of complexity of transformation! [face_hypnotized]...yeah that was me standing in the toy aisle at Target and Toys R Us this afternoon...sigh...oh well.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    star_writer24, I've been collecting transformers for 23 years and let me tell you... I'm still confused about them sometimes. Don't feel bad.

Furbies are cute, yes. Stealing them out of a child's hands... ugly and WRONG.

4. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Edit: I realize the topic's moved on, so mods, if you want me to edit this out, I will.

Actually, I think Homer's smarter than people give him credit for. Yes, he can be dumb and selfish and...well, a buffoon...but he's got some really good qualities, too.

His family is very important to him, and he does love them (even Bart :p). He's also not afraid to follow his dreams and be himself. He may not be hugely 'successful' materially, financially, or career-wise (although the family's provided for and overall they seem pretty comfortable), but he's basically happy. So in some ways, I think he is actually a good role model.

That's all just my opinion, of course, born of watching way too much TV. :p

We had one guy one year tackle a child for a furby, apparently.

Wow! I didn't know that happened in real life! :eek:

5. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Thanks RK_Striker_JK_5 that does make me feel better. [:D]
    So I work in retail too, but luckily I work in the cash office...no evil customers to deal with! [face_dancing] Still a pain trying to find a parking place though. I remember one year working on black Friday, I saw one woman deck another so she could grab her feather comforter that she was going to get on sale...I hate black Friday too, it seems to bring out the dark side in people! :mad:

6. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    I got completely lucky this year. The publisher I am currently working for had a sale to employees to get rid of returned stock from various bookstores. All new stuff, all new condition, for pennies on the dollar. Loaded up on the DK kiddie books for the nieces and nephews and even got a few of the DK Star Wars books for myself. Really made a difference in my Christmas shopping budget!

7. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I'll step into this thread just long enough to agree with you...and disagree at the same time. There should be a balance, yes, of good portrayals in the male characters. But I would prefer to see those roles *expanded* past the traditional ones. For me, the whole notion of men saving women is archaic and vaguely creepy. Even in movies...no, ESPECIALLY in movies. Fiction is the place where possibilities can be imagined and worked out.

But the whole premise of that movie is completely stupid to me anyway. A Disney film is not the kind that will actually break down the fairytale format and call it out for the crap that it is.

(Sorry to add nothing significant. I don't do online shopping generally, other than Amazon. And my movie preferences are boring..unless anyone here counts seeing Blade Runner on the big screen as interesting somehow).

8. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Cheap books are always great, RebelGrrl.
    Working in retail...from what I've heard it's bad, but working at McDonalds...is a nightmare! Annoying people.

9. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Any kind of customer service job can be a nightmare, This time of year is enough to give even the most stalwart employee the heebie jeebies. And gas. [face_sick]

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Sad but true, AC. Scum like that does exist. I'm glad he got ejected and the furby returned.

No problem, starwriter_24. If I can help in any way, just PM me. Not sure what I could do... but I'll be happy to do it. and lucky working in the cash office! ;)

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Afternoon all!!

What is everyone up to today? :)

I have an infection in my lymph nodes in my arm and my whole arm/shoulder is swollen and very painful. I've been on antibiotics for a week and they haven't helped at all. :( It is driving me crazy!!

12. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    Get better soon, mav. That sounds really painful.

13. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Sucks to be sick. :( My mom's sick, but hopefully she'll be better by Thanksgiving.

I'm way excited to go see Enchanted. Parodies make my life happy. :D Plus, I've been hearing really good reviews for it. I'm not so enamoured by Beowulf, which, while it checks all the boxes in the "SHINY!!" column, doesn't really match up with my vision of the story from when I read it. Though, from the previews, it does give a whole new meaning to that time back in 6th grade when one of my classmates called it "that Baywatch story."

Also way exciting? Tomorrow I'm going to Oberlin to visit all my friends there, and kidnap a couple of them to bring back home for Thanksgiving break. [face_dancing] I'm so excited, I haven't seen most of them since graduation! And two of them are getting married in June, so I'm picking up my bridesmaid's dress while I'm there. It's pink and just a little fluffy. I'm kind of scared.

And, just to punctuate my excitement... I got the interview with Sony Imageworks!!! Dude, I'm going to go to Los Angeles and meet them, talk with them, and hopefully they'll think I'm awesome and hire me! They did the effects for the Spiderman franchise and Superman Returns, so I'm so totally stoked. :D :D

14. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Mav, here's a [:D]

Tomorrow I've got an interview with a guy from the University of Tulsa, but that's it for the day.

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    There's so many movies I want to see ans most don't. Usually cause I'm waiting for someone to go with.

Weel, for get that. Went to see Beowulf on my own Friday night and really enjoyed it. Can't quite decide it they've changed alot of the poem, or I just don't really rmember it from when I read it last. o_O

Moives I want to see include Enchanted, Golden Compass, I am Legend, Jumper, all obvious scifi/fantasy. LOL

16. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Hey Y'all. I've heard that a lot of stores are actually opening at 12:01 AM on Friday. Who gets up that early?

17. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    People who want to escape from their relatives.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks everyone! [:D]

I won't be going to stores on Black Friday. First off I have to work :( and second, the deals aren't worth the crowds to me. I get all claustrophobic and freak out. [face_blush] I pretty much do all my shopping online.

19. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Unless there's an absolutely magnificent bargain on tap (like, say, a laptop for $300), the only reason to go out to the stores on Black Friday that doesn't have anything to do with avoiding your family is the desire to be a bystander in the midst of chaos.

Maybe there might be something to that...go out with a couple of lawn chairs, sit in the store, watch people trying to kill each other for a Wii.

Black Friday could be the next spectator sport. :p

20. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I get a little of what you're saying, Jon. I've worked a lot of extremely busy football games in the three years that I've worked for the university. Somehow, I have a feeling that that doesn't even scratch the surface of a Black Friday.

Editted due to misspelling.

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I just went jeans-shopping and got myself a pair of jeans that not only flatter me, but don't drag on the ground. I'm happy.

22. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    I only own three pairs of jeans because those things can NEVER fit right. Even on a so-called "skinny" butch chick...yes, some skinny people have fat deposits on their bodies. No, really.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Congrats on the jeans, Ish. :)

Mav, I also hope you feel better. [:D] And I want a piece of the pay-per-view gate for Black Friady! :p

24. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    Oh, how I hate buying jeans. My legs are meant for a 9, my stomach is meant for a 7, my height is meant for a 3... It turns into a nightmare. I usually go by European sizes, which are more accurate for me.

25. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    I'm probably slightly more fortunate in that my bottom half seems to agree on a 6 or 7 most of the time. But my waist...ah, welcome to Jeans Hell. Sometimes, my waist will also agree to a 6 or 7. But on certain days, like that time of month, it will only accept an 8.

But my upper and lower halves both agree to make it impossible for me to find a pair of petite jeans that actually fit properly. Obviously, they hate me because I'm short. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.