main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jabba the Hutt's Tribble-Free Holodeck and All-Day Buffet: FF Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by oqidaun, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I watch the Opening Ceremony, at least until Monk came on. A man has to have priorities.

Keeping in mind these things are always awful/boring/weird, this was actually the coolest opening ceremony I'd ever seen. The drums and firework-footprints were pretty awesome. :cool: When the people were on that big globe, all I could think of was Super Mario Galaxy. :p

2. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Given that USA Network is owned by NBC and is running a lot of Olympic events (pre-empting all repeats except one at midnight Central/1am Eastern Tuesday morning), I'm shocked they ran a new episode of Monk last night. [Yes, I missed it. At least I can catch Psych today, and Monk will go up on the website at some point.]

EDIT: Has anyone here played Heroscape?

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ACK! What about Burn Notice?

Alas, 4400 you are missed.

Sorry, not really an Olympic patron.

4. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Looks like they're running it; USA's Olympic coverage seems to be mostly in the morning. Even if they were pre-empting for sports, that wouldn't bother me as much because it's planned for and worked into the schedule; in other words, I'm not missing any episodes, just having to wait a couple more weeks.

5. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    How's it going, Drabbi-Wan?

Slow morning in the Resource.

6. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Just watchin' Robot Chicken and updatin' my Ultimate Drabble thread.

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Man, the opening ceremonies rocked. Even if they showed Dubya checking his watch and looking annoyed in the nosebleed seats about 10 times.

8. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Hey Ish! I'm just trying to keep myself busy til noon. I'm working OT today.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, fun. I'm determined to do writing today because yesterday, my computer hated me. Plus I anticipated going to the party on campus for the Olympics and instead got invited to one at a friend's house, which meant that I finished at 11 instead of 8:30.

But! I got to wear my Chinese Laundry slingbacks with jeans, a black t-shirt and my new red jacket. I had my keys on the keychain that I got from the mayor of Kaoshiung when my orchestra performed for him in Taiwan. So it was fun.

10. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    I noticed that too, Ish. Won't be suprised if some of those clips show up on Letterman...

It was a fabulous ceremony - I sat through the whole thing and wasn't bored at all. The parade of nations is my favorite, even though it's the longest part.

I forgot how much I enjoy the Olympics. :)

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I just have never thought that Dubya had much class and now I have that memory as further proof.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I didn't get to watch the opening ceremonies... the TV in my grandmothers hospital room was real fuzzy and you couldn't see it at all. I did however DVR it, so I will watch it later. :)

So, they are trying everything to keep from having to do surgery on my 94 year old grandmother since they think there is a big chance she wouldn't survive it... then last night they had to rush my grandfather (other side of the family) into emergency surgery at 2am. He's doing alright now... this is something that has been on going for several months.I think I've had 3 hours of sleep and now that I've come home for a little while, I'm not sleepy at all. [face_plain]
    At least they are in the same hospital.

I know you guys don't care, but I always feel so much better after I complain,rant etc. to you all! :)

So how is everyone else's day going?? :D

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh my gosh. That must have been scary. I hope everything turns out all right.

14. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    We're doing fine here... I got to see the part with the drums and the first half of the parade of nations, and then the signal went out. Liked the drums. :)

Rant all ya need to, Mav. It helps. And... another [:D] because I can say nothing else...

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks Ish! [:D] Thanks Daena! [:D]

My mom and I were saying that they just need to give us a room at the hospital because we practically live there as it is with only one family member there! 8-}

The anesthesiologist was the same for both of them, when he walked in to talk to us about my grandfather he was very confused as to why we were with the wrong patient! [face_laugh]

16. Mystralgurl

Mystralgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    *[:D] mavjade* I hope your grandparents are doing better now. It's never fun to have one leave you...

I never have a chance to watch the opening ceremonies, because we don't have cable at my house.. I'm hoping to catch some of my favorite events somewhere though..

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, that would be confusing.

Reminds me of the year I auditioned for New England Conservatory Youth Division orchestras on two instruments. They're supposed to do the audition videos for each section with different people, but the violinists were really busy, so they had the overflow to the violist crew. So I finished my viola audition and then packed up. Then I unpacked my violin and was told to go back to that room. They were so confused by me thinking I had to audition twice until I explained that I was trying to place for both instruments. When I walked in, they went "Just for the record, when you come back for the cello, don't come to us..." as a joke. That's the only time I've ever had two acceptance letters to the same orchestra and had to choose between them.

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks Mystral! [:D]
    I love the quote in your sig about insulting your mother... it cracked me up!!

That is awesome Ish! I bet they were confused! Which one did you pick??

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Viola. The conductor I had at the time had said that the next orchestra needed more violists and that if any of us wanted to try and audition, she'd teach us personally for the next three weeks. No one else was crazy enough to try and learn a new instrument in three weeks, but I thought I had a better chance if I was on a less-common instrument. So for two hours every Saturday until the audition, I had lessons with Mrs. Ezbicki and I managed to learn how to read the clef, the viola style of vibrato and the Telemann G Major Concerto for Viola just in time for the audition. The problem came when they did sight-reading and because there's not as much repertoire for viola, they kept putting up things like the Bach Double Violin Concerto that I had already played as a violinist. They finally found a Schubert that I hadn't played and I auditioned with that.

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Three weeks?? Wow! That isn't a long time to learn!

I've always wanted to learn a string instrument... probably violin. It looks like it would be a lot of fun, hard to learn, but fun! :)

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love string instruments. My mom got me my first violin and lessons when I was 3 and I've been playing in orchestras since I was 5. It's a lot of hard work, but some of the best music in the world.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Evening, everyone.

Everyone. "Jon!"

Allie. "Jonathan."

Very sorry to hear about your grandfather, Mav. [:D] I hope he and your grandmother pull through.

How goes it, all? Sopunds like you had a good time last night, Ish. Bush checking his watch... [face_plain] Yeah...

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    So, we're 3 away from 10,000...

24. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Well, since I fell asleep during the ceremony, it would be hypocritical of me to get all high and mighty about someone else finding it interminable.

So which mod gets to name the next incarnation?

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I vote Trace.

Happy 10k!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.