main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Wait what about a Jacen/Jaina verse?

Anyway I think one can argue Jacen is one of the top ten most important(in terms of his story) characters on the post ROTJ old EU.

And besides that who does everyone ship Jacen with besides Tenel Ka? I would include Tahiri, Danni Quee, Nelani Dinn, Wynessa Fel, and Alema Rar as potential ships.

But what are everyone else's thoughts on this?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I would almost go so far as to say that Jacen is the most important EU character, from an in universe perspective period. He is one of the two main characters in YJK, the main character of NJO which was the biggest EU project, a major player in DNT, the (anti)villianportagonist in LotF and even after his death a considerable portion of FotJ revloves around his legacy. Characters like Thrawn might be more popular but all Thrawn did on the grand sheme of things was lead a campaing against the NT which failed without doing an real damage.

I´m not really into shipping so for me Tenel Ka is Jacen one and only love intrest.

3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    True-and yeah he is arguably IU the most important character post ROTJ.

As for shipping that's a fair opinion and one widely shared I think amongst Jacen fans.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Not so much a necro-bump as a suddenly belated realisation that we should have asked in here.

@Adalia-Durron and are I running a small game which will update once a fortnight set between LotF: Inferno and Fury.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-last-stand.50051500/

The game starts Friday, but if anyone wants to submit a sheet to us both, PM away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    He needs supporters...........I don't ;) :p

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    To give some further thoughts on jacen,

Jacen isn't a traditional male protagonist, at least not in the stereotypical vane of his brother and uncle.

Jacen has an affinity for animals, philosophy, debates, and meditation. Compared to anakin's "slice em dice em" approach most of the time.

Maybe I or somebody needs to write an essay talking about the different portrayals of masculine heroes in jacen and Anakin.

Because Jacen isn't a traditional male hero, he is masculinely heroic in his own way, but how that differs from Anakin and Luke I think deserves more exploration.

SiouxFan, Adalia-Durron and Anedon like this.
  7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    This is actually the reason I really like the Jacen as a character, while finding Luke and to some extend also Anakin rather boring.
    Also what is intresting is that Jaina in many ways has many of these stereotypical male hero traits, she fights, flirts and parties a lot, she is intrested in machines rather than nature. I think I´ve mentioned this before somewhere but to me Jaina feels like a female James Bond with her SOtJ title even being kinda similiar to Bonds license to kill. So in a way both solo siblings subvert traditional gender roles in fiction.

Also on that note I really hate these attempts from some authors to turn Jacen into a womanizer(like him maybe having sex with Dani, to this silly sexual relationship with Tahiri that was added retroactivley), its that old stereotype that guys are allways intrsted in sex and Jacen not having that was something I really liked about him.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    As I age, I have noticed you are correct Anedon, many men are not driven by their carnal desires, and when you meet them ladies, hang on to them. Rare creatures with good hearts....except in this case. :p

Anedon and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I dunno. I liked the idea of him being involved with Tahiri.

It just added to the level of wrongness to him. By that point he was Caedus and it was just about power. Power over people.

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Jacen isn’t asexual, and I wouldn’t say sex or relationships are things he entirely rejects, after all he did have a child with the queen of the japes consortium, but it’s clear they are not his primary focus in life. And he could live without them, if he so chose.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  11. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I never really thought he was a 'womanizer'. His relationship with Danni progressed fairly organically until it just...disappeared. And I always looked at he and Tahiri's 'relationship' as a way for both of them to still maintain their humanity. I think they both knew they were so far down a dark path that they felt the need to escape. Heck, written better, their relationship could have been a major plot-point.

Even in YJK, the Solo twins had and interesting 'gender swap'...Jacen's best friend was Tenel Ka, and Jaina's best friend was Zekk. In my head, that was simply because they were so used to being around a member of the opposite sex that it was natural that their best friend would be. And Jaina's '007' thing actually makes a lot of sense...never really thought of it that way.

The RP looks really interesting...sadly, I am LOUSY at trying to be on OP.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    On OP? Not sure what that is.

13. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Oooops....meant 'an OC'! Not very good at writing original characters. Not very good at typing, either, apparently!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I getcha. Well you’re welcome either way.

SiouxFan and Atollon_Dweller like this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Anyway I just love jacen as a character, I see so much of myself in him, and he is in a lot of ways the sort of man I want to be.

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  16. Atollon_Dweller

Atollon_Dweller Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2019
    [​IMG]
    A young Jaina and Jacen at the Jedi Praxeum

Anedon, Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I really admire that picture.

18. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Agreed its one of the best, had it actually briefley as my avatar before settling on this one.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Regarding Jacen and being a womanizer, in another life, I can certainly see jacen pursuing women quite successfully. He has the empathy, he can be charismatic when he wants, he is also very handsome. It's not that Jacen isn't interested in the opposite sex, he most definitely is, but it isn't the main driving force in his life.

And I like that a lot.

A male protagonist who has deeper more philosophical and spiritual concerns, than just having success with women.

But if Jacen's life had taken a different course, I could definitely see him as a very much a successful lady's man.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I think makeing him a ladies man would fundamentally change what the character is about, he wouldn´t really be the Jacen he was in that case, but effectivley a new character with a similiar background.
    Generally I will say this trend in Ledgends to turn various characters into these womanizers when the authors found nothing better for them was kinda silly. Same with Jaina and her constant sleeping around instead of actually having an intresting character.

SiouxFan and Adalia-Durron like this.
  21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    As for Tahiri, I could see it working between them, and the LOTF arrangement was more mutual comfort, and the lack of anybody else around. Though someone less charitable to jacen might be inclined to think he was taking advantage of her, which I don't believe was the case, Tahiri probably got more out of it then Jacen did. But if Tenel ka or Danni Quee weren't options-Jacen/Tahiri I think could work well.

22. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    In that regard, I've often thought that Jacen and Jaina were 'gender-swapped'. Jaina seemed to be okay with casual sex, whereas Jacen was looking for more of an emotional attachment.
    I still don't know what to make of Jaina's 'bug phase'. That really didn't seem to fit what she was emotionally. She never seemed to be the kind to need a lot of emotional comfort, which is what a hive mind really is offering.

You should have been around when those books were being written...almost everyone thought that Jacen was taking advantage of her. Perhaps initially...after that, it always seemed to me that Tahiri just wanted someone to believe in her. Again, with better story-telling, her and Jacen's relationship could have been a great storyline.

Anedon likes this.
  23. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I think they are kind of ´gender-swapped´like this in quite a few regards, Jaina is intrested in flying and tech stuff which is stereotipically male, while empathy and a love for nature is more assaociated with female stereotypes I guess. Will say I really like this different take on this brother sister dynamic.

Though they of course returned to the chlicee in LotF as in fiction its, nearly, always the male sibling who goes evil so his sister has to stop him.

SiouxFan likes this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    an evil jaina would have been a more interesting story I do genuinely believe.

25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Honestly I would have wished for no Skysolo to go evil or if one did Ben Skywalker, he was at least not a pre established hero whom would have ruined by been ruined by being turned into a villian.
    Maybe make him a bit older have Lumiya kill Mara and then Ben falls to the darkside in thirts for revenge, eventually liniking up with Vestara, takeing over the lost tribe or something.