main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012

U.S. release date is January 17, 2014.

Two quick things. One, this seem like an attempt on making an American James Bond out of Jack Ryan. Two, this is nearly the same plot as the Splinter Cell novel I was reading a week or so ago (except this movie sounds a lot less complex and has no excuse for using Russians, unlike the book).

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  2. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Yeah, when the trailer has some Russian croaking about "You Americans are so blahsky-blahsky, etc.", it sounds so close to "You British are so blahsky-blahsky, etc."
    that it makes one wonder.

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Once upon a time, Ken Branagh made good films.

Primarily Henry V and Dead Again. Actually I kinda liked Thor, and I dig all four previous Jack Ryan films, so I'm certainly here for this. Just interesting to see Branagh slumming like this.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm actually surprised by how good this looks. There's really nothing there we haven't seen a thousand times before, but what separates Jack Ryan from the Bonds and the Bournes and the Bauers is that Ryan is more of an everyman. He's not a lethal killing machine.

It seems to lack the over-stylized action and over the top CGI set pieces that have come to define "action" movies of late. Hopefully the success of movies like Skyfall are proof that there's an audience for this more grounded approach to the genre out there. The January release date is a bit of a red flag, though. That's kind of a box office dumping ground traditionally.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'll probably go see it. I like Chris Pine a lot; he's got real star quality. And after Man of Steel, I really wanted to see Costner in something else, so that was kind of cool to me. Now that he's got two more movies coming out soon, I'm already feeling like he's getting overexposed again, but we'll see how good he is in this one.

Also, Branagh. Yeah, I love his Hamlet. This isn't going to be Hamlet or anything, but maybe it'll be okay. Though, yeah, the January date is kind of concerning.

Penguinator likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wasn't this movie supposed to come out this month?

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah it was supposed to come out Christmas, but Wolf of Wall Street got moved from Thanksgiving to then for awards season meaning Jack Ryan had to be moved to January. Kinda sucks since this looks better than the Ben Affleck one.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That does suck, this one looks interesting, might check it out.

9. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    This movie looks like garbage rotting on a hot summer day.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Kiera Knightley does a good American accent though!

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This is the first thing Branagh's directed since Thor? Huh.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I kind of hate the fact that the guy who directed the definitive version of Hamlet, the greatest play ever written, is now known as "THE DIRECTOR OF THOR."

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How was Skyfall very grounded? The part where a super villain plots his own capture, infects the entire British intelligence apparatus with a super computer virus, choreographs a chase so that a subway train drops on top of his pursuer's head, and then shoots at a senior government official on live television?

yankee8255 and Ender Sai like this.
  14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    That adaptation was something else.

And Wocky, I believe they were talking about the action, not the plot.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This movie has nothing functionally whatsoever to do with Jack Ryan. The reason he was an everyman is because... he was not an operative; he was a PhD intelligence analyst put way, way, way in above his head.

This is just a total ret-con of that it seems and no one should want to see it based on any semblance of the Jack Ryan character.

However, the cast is amazing and makes me want to see it...

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    The two "everyman" things about Jack Ryan are the fact he got a BA in economics and became a certified public accountant. His list of occupations is almost marty stu-ish.

17. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    It's interesting that there are so many actual Tom Clancy novels that could have been adapted and yet the studios only wanted to use the name. I wonder if Clancy had any involvement with the plot/ story/ characterization of the film before he passed away?

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    "Almost"?

RC-1991 and Penguinator like this.
  19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Clancy's involvement with the licensing of his characters and stories was pretty minimal. The "Tom Clancy's" video games last had input from him in...2002? And I think that was him complaining about the goggles in Splinter Cell before saying "this looks pretty cool" or something.

20. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Yeah, I knew he was pretty hands off with the games and lots of the tie in novels and series novels. I was just curious if anyone knew if he was a bit more connected to Jack Ryan since that's kind of his main protagonist. I do remember the goggles bit, though.

It's always surprising to me that no studio has tried to build off of Rainbow Six yet. There's already a book and story in place, plus huge brand recognition there.

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

He also has a terrible Russian accent in the trailers I've seen.

"YOU THINK THIS IS GAME JACK?"

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope not lest we have scenes of Kevin Costner talking to Chris Pine for hours and hours about what the proper color of a Russian tank should be.

23. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I've never read the book but I didn't realize analysts do cool things. I thought that's what secret agents were...

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Read what book? There isn't a book of this. Clancy's best books, before he went to pieces at the collapse of the USSR, were in the 80s when Ryan was in the CIA. When he became President it was idiotic.

But yeah, Clancy's just let his name be franchised out to godawful series books, like Splinter Cell.

25. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Nope. More grounded in that it didn't feature things like this;