main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Bond: Now Disc. "Skyfall" Video Blog by Sam Mendes

Discussion in 'Community' started by big_boss_nass, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Goldenboy62

Goldenboy62 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2002
    What is your favorite Bond opening song?

This one is actually really tough for me because Bond has had some really good opening credit songs over the long run.

My list fluctuates from time to time, but the songs just shuffle around. There is a core group of five that constantly change position.

1 (For the time being) The World is Not Enough -- Garbage (I also like the video they did)

2 Tommorrow Never Dies - Sheryl Crow (She doesn't sing it in tours when she does performances -- damn)

3 Thunderball -- Tom Jones (The ultimate power song)

4 The Man With the Golden Gun

5 Live and Let Die Axel Ros -- just joking, Paul McCartney and Wings. (Was there ever a more unnecessary remake of a song?)

2. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Favorite Bond song is A VIEW TO A KILL by Duran Duran. It's the only thing I really liked about that one.

3. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    My favorite song (besides Monty Norman's original "James Bond Theme") is probably Goldfinger. Everything about that song gives a feeling of Bond.

Oh, and I love seeing Sheena Easton appear in the opening credits of "For Your Eyes Only"!!

Another great song, that's really hard to find, is the Bond Theme remake by Parodi/Fair. It's the cool Bond Theme they play in the GoldenEye trailers. I think it's one of the best James Bond Theme remakes.

4. 00Kevin

00Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 23, 2002
    best opening song? Goldfinger, TSWLM is second

my favs:

bond-connery
    villian-blofeld (jaws is breathing down his neck in the race though)
    girl-tracy
    film-goldfinger

5. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Best Bond songs:

1) Goldfinger always memorable and set the standard for future Bond theme songs.

2) You Only Live Twice Some of John Barry's finest work... Great theme

3) A View to a Kill just a great Bond song.

4) Living Daylights/Spy Who Loved Me (Nobody Does it Better) Two great songs but I can't decide which one I like better

5) Moonraker... again Shirley Bassey

6) Live and Let Die

Oh and I'd like to add a special nod to the opening music for OHMSS, although technically not a Bond song, the theme for OHMSS is just great... which also leads to another John Barry classic simply titled "007" this piece never appeared in the opening title sequence, but Barry used it a number of times during fights, or chase scenes (Notably when Bond is stealing the Lector in FRWL, during the boat chase in Moonraker, and during the under water battles in Thunderball).

Best Unheard Bond themes:

1) Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (the original theme to Thunderball before they replaced it with Tom Jones' horrible song)

2) Surrender (K.D. Lang and David Arnold's awesome theme for Tomorrow Never Dies which can be heard in the closing credits... far better than that abortion of a song by Sheryl Crow... God what were you people thining???)

Which of course leads to the all time worst Bond songs.

4) Man With the Golden Gun... wow what catchy lyrics.. "He has a powerful weapon, he charges a million a shot, an assasin whose second to none, the Man With the Golden Gun."

3) Diamonds are Forever, the only bad Shirley Bassey Bond song. Goofy lyrics and too damn repetative.

2) Tommorow Never Dies... starts off promising for about 20 seconds, and then degenerates from there.

1) And of course the all time worst Bond song... Die Another Day... what an absolute piece of utter garbage. They should have known what they were getting since Maddona's gone techno. They should have gotten her during her "Take a Bow"/Evita days... when she actually sang.

Yancy (aka gallandro)

6. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, I think Madonna was a pretty crappy choice for Die Another Day. They could've done better.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Can't believe I missed this. I'm a huge Bond fan. Sourdust, you rock BTW.

Bond: Timothy Dalton
    Film: OHMSS (same as the book)
    Bond Girl: Tatiana Romanova (From Russia, With Love)
    Villain: Ari Kristatos (For Your Eyes Only)

The Villain, for me, was a believable one and that counts. I should note that I am a Fleming fan as well as a film fan, and I thought Kristatos was a good Fleming-style nemesis. The Fleming factor also influcences my choice of Bond.

As for the next Bond - Clive Owen!!!

E_S

8. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Have any of you Bond fans been to Universalexports.net?

9. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Best Bond songs are IMO

Goldfinger
    Thunderball
    Live & Let Die

Cj

10. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    There's a Universal Exports website? I always go to JamesBond.com and IanFleming.org ....

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Gobi-1, I used to write stuff for Universalexports.net!!! I went under the name Ajay there. :)

E_S

12. 103728103

103728103 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2003
    Favourite Bond
    Sean Connery
    Favourite Bond Movie
    From Russia With Love
    Favourite Villain
    Grant
    Favourite Bond Girl
    Tatiana Romanova
    Favourite Bond Music
    GoldFinger

..but you have to admit that the best Bond Opening is "In Her Majesty's Secret Service", after all "this would never happen to the other fellow"!!

13. Sourdust

Sourdust Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2003
    My favorite opening song is either "OHMSS" or "The Living Daylights", although a-ha had a better version of the latter song on their third album.

Best title sequence? A recent one, actually--Goldeneye.

14. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    The Goldeneye opening was pretty good. The thing I love about the James Bond world is that a country with an incredible amount of resources like England would only send one person to investigate a plot that would threaten the entire world. Whereas in real life a country like England or America would utilize hundreds of people to work on something as small as mail fraud!

15. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Okay, how about a couple of new categories???

Best opening Pre-Credits/Teaser sequence, and Best opening Titles (not necessarily the music, but the title sequence).

So here are my votes:

Best Opening Pre-Credits Sequence:

Goldfinger: Set the standard for future pre-credit action scenes. Great suspence, great fight between Bond and the bad guy.

OHMSS: Great intro for Lazenby, and really showed he could hold his own against Connery's Bond.

Living Daylights: My favorite pre-credits sequence ever. Great action, and a fantastic introduction for Dalton... Non-stop thrills.

Goldeneye: Fantastic intro to Brosnan's Bond

Worst Opening Pre-Credits Sequence:

Hands down For Your Eyes Only. What was up with that??? A good Bond spy thriller marred by a goofy holdover from the cartoonish Moonraker era. Also a special nod to A View to A Kill only because of the Beach Boys music, otherwise it was one of the best openings ever.

Best opening Titles:

Tie: You Only Live Twice and Moonraker. Great John Barry music set against beautiful Maurice Binder images... Fantastic!

OHMSS: Great montage a favorite Bond moments... great way to pass the torch.

Special nod to FRWL. Talk about guts....Projecting credits on women's body parts... great idea. I especially loved "007" being displayed on a woman's shaking cleavage. Also Directory of Photography Ted Moore's credits being displayed on a woman's butt was a nice touch.

Worst Opening Titles:

Die Another Day: Talk about chaos. Okay, the idea of telling the story arc of Bond's time in a North Korean prison during the credits was inventive... but add to that Maddona's hideous techno song, and the weird images of the women dancing techno-style, and you just have a complete mess.

This is fun... let's think of some other categories.

Yancy

16. Sourdust

May 21, 2003
    Best pre-credits sequence: Licence to Kill. I just love how the bride's maids carry in Bond and Felix's parachutes. From Russia With Love and The Living Daylights are pretty darn good, too.

Worst: For Your Eyes Only. Really, really bad. Moonraker was pretty lousy too.

Best title sequence: Goldeneye looked pretty slick.

Worst: Die Another Day. I don't need to explain this.

Best score: OHMSS.

Worst score: Sadly, For Your Eyes Only has this disco stuff that tarnishes Moore's best movie.

Best Felix: David Hedison.

Worst: Whoever the weenie in Goldfinger was.

Best sidekick: (tie) Kerim Bay in FRWL and Patrick Macnee in A View to a Kill. Steed really made that movie a lot better. It needed him, too.

Worst: Jinx. But maybe it's not fair to count Die Another Day....

17. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    --Best pre-credits sequence:
    1) Goldfinger ... That's no doubt one of the best, and those few minutes really show what Bond is about. Like sacrificing the girl to save himself from the guy behind him. And then there's the clever "Shocking, positively shocking." line he uses.
    2) The Spy Who Loved Me ... I like this one mainly because of the Log Cabin Girl and the Union Jack on Bond's parachute. Classic! (Even Vin Deisel's XXX movie copied that...)

--Best opening titles:
    1) From Russia With Love ... I also love the names and "007" projected on a woman's body.
    2) For Your Eyes Only ... Only because Sheena Easton is in it! [face_love]
    3) GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough ... I like all three because they're done in Maurice Binder style and I like the 3-D computer generated stuff (like the oil women in TWINE). I didn't like Die Another Day all that much though...

18. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    (1)THUNDERBALL(2)ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE

19. Goldenboy62

Goldenboy62 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm with you on the opening titles to "Die Another Die", there was nothing sexy about those titles at all, and the song was okay, not the best, but not the worst either.

20. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    Does anybody know when the second and third DVD box sets are supposed to come out? The first one was released last year when DAD came to theaters.

I've got 'em all on VHS but I NEED the Special Editions on DVD. It's been months and still nothing... I work at a big retail store and I still can't found out when they're being released. Stupid Wal-Mart.....

Anybody know?

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Pre-title sequences hit a low during the Moore years. I mean, WTH has the pre-titles of Octopussy or FYEO got to do with the stories? Nothing.

I personally really like the Living Daylights, as it introduces Smiert Sphionem, the new 007, plus some great action. Thunderball wasn't too bad, OMHSS was kinda fun, FRWL was interesting and tense, like the whole film, GoldenEye - well that brought the series back with a BANG! :D

Anyone got any of the Sideshow James Bond figures? They're limited editions of 10,000. I have DAD Brosnan and Dr. No Connery

E_S

22. Sourdust

May 21, 2003
    For me, the lowest point in the title sequences (other than DAD altogether) had to be in The Living Daylights. The lyric says "and the headlights fade away", and on the screen you've got headlights fading away.

Bad bad bad

Although perhaps I'm overlooking the embarassingly nonsensical Octopussy titles....

23. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    The best pre credit sequences IMO are
    From Russia With Love
    Diamonds Are Forever
    Moonraker (only good Moore opening sequence) The Living Daylights
    The World Is Not Enough

The worse precredit sequence has to be hands down the Moore film where he drops Blofeld's wheel chair down a smoke stack. The title of the film evades me at the moment. Probably because the film was just as bad.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Moonraker? What, with Jaws falling onto a circus tent? [face_laugh]

Live and Let Die had an alright opening.

The actual titles themselves - well, I agree about TLD, but it was the 1980's and it was a-ha, so I mean, what more could I say? :D

EDIT: I watched it again, just then - ewwwwwww. :eek:

However, the opening sequence is fantastic and Dalton really suits the role. He's also, as far as I can tell, the second parachutist to land. :)

EDIT2: citizenjohn, that'd be For Your Eyes Only.

E_S

25. Sourdust

May 21, 2003
    Hm, I should say for the sake of full disclosure that I own all seven of a-ha's albums, their greatest hits album, and their recent live album. Big fan, actually....

It's just the idea of showing the exact thing that the lyrics are saying....

*runs out of thread*