main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Bond: Now Disc. "Skyfall" Video Blog by Sam Mendes

Discussion in 'Community' started by big_boss_nass, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    [whisper]It's not hyphenated, either.[/whisper]

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    [face_tired] I take it for me to get any reasons from you as to why Connery would have made OHMSS better, I'll first need to present some blood I extracted from a stone? ;)

Unless they shot it earlier int he time frame as intended? (After Thunderball?)

E_S

3. Aumgn

Aumgn Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    Ender's right. The guy in YOLT and DAF could not have pulled off OHMSS. Sorry. He's too rough around the edges, too blue-collar really. None of Connery's Bond work, good as he was, points to the possibility of him handling the movie as it should be done.

Connery was a good Bond--a good movie Bond. I can't picture him when I read the books. I'm in Thunderball right now, and Lazenby actually comes to mind most often. For me, Tim in Living Daylights is the perfect Fleming Bond, but Lazenby's up there too.

And Jesus, this book is good. Forgot how great Thunderball really is. The chapter that introduces SPECTRE and Blofeld alone makes the book worth reading. Fleming's backstories are as good as his main plots.

As for Craig, I know nothing about him, so I'll have to see. I'm actually more of a hardass than Ender, and haven't liked a Bond movie really since Licence to Kill, though Goldeneye was good enough. I'm just not that emotionally invested in this, not after the last three films. I actually like all of the first 16 movies, even Moonraker (DAF is pushing it, though). But these last few, man. Dreadful.

(And Zaz, god, enough already! Shouldn't you be starting a couple dozen threads in which you provide 60% of the posts?[face_laugh] )

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Ah, much needed reinforcements...the only question is, is it Crabbe or is it Goyle?

I'm dead chuffed that you read all my threads to determine how much I post in them, but as usual, you got it wrong: it's 75 per cent :D.

Lazenby got a job on "General Hospital" after Bond, which I suggest is his natural level: daytime soap actor. The guy has zilch charisma, and his subsequent career reflected it.

Connery has done death scenes, and well.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think Lazenby's going to remain the contentious Bond; but please tell me Zaz, since I do like your other threads here, that you don't like Moore? [face_praying] ;)

The annoucement is soon. I hope it's a ruse an it's really Owen; reality be damned. I don't want to abandon a franchise that's lost it's heart, soul and roots but I damned well will.

E_S

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I thought Moore was too lightweight, and not right physically, either. Too bad, because there was another good film with a not so good Bond: "The Spy Who Loved Me."

It looks like it is Craig...

7. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Moore was not as good as Connery, that I will grant...but lightweight?..Not for me. His later scripts may have been..(and I've said this before)

LALD: packing the big 44
    tmwthgd: shooting scaramanga one shot in the heart, slapping Andrea
    Tswlm: stromberg shot numerous times, shooting the skiing guy
    Fyeo: the most serious of his movies...

calling him lightweight, a little unfair. He may have been wrong for the role comparing him with the book bond, but he did just fine and the series thrived with him in the role, unlike Dalton. (who I personally thought was great, one of the truest incarnations with the book was Dalton)

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think the better the actor, the better the Bond. That's why Brosnan is so darn good. He brings a psychological complexity to the role that I really love. His reaction shots tell it all.

Craig will be lucky to pull off unflappable, which is, of course, what made Connery so cool.

I'm not saying Brosnan or Connery are better than each other, just they have different philosophies: Connery is about no emotion, Brosnan is very much about a lot of emotion.

I prefer Brosnan, but I love Connery as well.

And I definitely think that Brosnan is the best physical match.

Craig could not play suave if his life depended on it. My opinion.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Well, in defence of Connery, that was the conception of the role at the time. As he grew older, he tried to change it himself. Timothy Dalton got stuck with Bond in an era when they kept worrying that he was a sexist pig. That's why it's tough to judge him.

Brosnan's my second choice, though.

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I googled for several hours looking for a picture of Craig with black hair that would work and I found one. Here's a poster I made with the photo.

[image=http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5267/craigcrteaser1gb.jpg]

Here's another manip with the picture.

[image=http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1049/craigasbond15xl.jpg]

Now here's one where I darked his hair myself.

[image=http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/443/craigasbond46zk.jpg]

I think he might just pull it off.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You've more faith than I.

I can't believe with such a great pool of possibilities - Clive Owen, for chrissakes!!! :_| - they narrowed it down to those four. Gah!

E_S

12. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Clive Owen would have been the only choice that could have potentially topped Brosnan.

13. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003

But what do we know, we're only fans

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Don't know Owen at all. Why are they replacing Brosnan? He wants too much money?

Of course, weird casting has been a feature of Bond from the beginning. They wanted James Stewart in the early 60's (!)

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Really? I've never heard that one. I've heard David Niven, but not Jimmy Stewart.

E_S

16. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Personally, Cary Grant circa North by Northwest would have made a great bond.

17. RogueBoga1138

RogueBoga1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    AND THE NEW BOND IS................

DANIEL CRAIG!!!!! Announced this morning........

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I could say much, except [face_tired] covers it so nicely.

E_S

19. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Not much of a surprise for Craig...Daniel Craig.

He wouldn't have been my first choice, but since Martin Campbell says the new Bond is fantastic, then I'm prepared to trust him. I say we should all give him a chance before bitching about Craig; we've got 3 films to get used to him.

20. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Seriously Ender - I thought you would've gone for [face_plain]

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, I'll trust Martin "Vertical Limit" Campbell... o_O

E_S

22. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm curious Ender_Sai, what do you think of Goldeneye? Perhaps the reason Vertical Limit sucked was because it was a crap story. He didn't write it did he? If he did then that's my argument down the drain.

It annoys me when Directors' reputations come from how good or bad the story of the movie is instead of how good the direction was. Take Peter Jackson for instance, he's now apparently one of the best directors in the world because he had an amazing story with one of the largest budgets ever, and his only skill of directing is showing slow-motion closeups with heartbeats in the background.

Goldeneye is quite possibly my favourite Bond film, hence why I think Campbell can do a decent job with CR.

23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well I'm going to embrace the decision and hope he makes a great Bond.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Martin Campbell did a fantastic job with the BBC mini-series Edge of Darkness ... but he did have an excellent script to work from. He's really only as good as his script, ditto for Craig.

I worry about the script, so much depends on it [face_worried]

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They offered it to Cary Grant in the beginning, too, and he turned it down.