main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I’d argue that Cameron doesn’t usually do families but rather a specific parent/child relationship. Aliens is mother/daughter, T2 is father/son, True Lies is father/daughter (though trimmed down in the edit). Hicks & Sarah have strong roles in the films but aren’t as integrated or focused on.

In a broader sense, Cameron always does love stories. Sometimes romantic (T1, Abyss, Titanic, Avatar), sometimes familial (Aliens, T2), sometimes a mix (True Lies).

In that regard, if we assume some focus of this family saga approach for these sequels will be on at least one similar relationship, it won’t be a creative risk for Cameron. He seemingly feels the risk is in making it the sequels structure (in context of other current films), rather than just the emotional core.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I guess it's moving right along

James Cameron revealed that Zoe Saldana has already completed her performance capture work for the first two Avatar sequels, scheduled for release in 2020 and 2021. The production is currently on day 130 of filming the sequels, which are being tackled simultaneously. “One day I’ll be working on scenes from two, the next day I’ll be working on scenes from three,” Cameron told io9 last month. “And the actors come in and go, ‘Oh, we’re working on three today.’”

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah the tactic seems to be all systems go for Avatar 2 & 3 and then depending on reception 4 & 5 will get greenlight to full production. But you'd figure the 4 & 5 greenlight is basically hinging on Avatar 2's performance entirely (maybe even it's first 2 weeks!), I can't see them getting out Avatar 4 in less than 2 years if they wait to see how Avatar 3 plays out.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Depends- if Cameron has actually written the scripts for all of them in advance, as well as, effectively, performed all the preproduction design and development alongside 2 & 3, then the main hold-ups that A2 has experienced will have been eliminated and they'd be able to get the mocap/percap done in a relatively short period of time, going by the looks of it.

5. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I know it would be hard to quantify this exactly, but is there a general consensus on whether the Pandora -- World of Avatar attraction at Walt Disney World has been a success? The film was pretty notable for what a lack of a cultural footprint it left in the wake of its massive box office take. I don't think anyone was clamoring exactly for an Avatar theme park, so I'm curious as to how it's been received so far.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    According my sister (she follows Disney news & does Disney travel agent work as well), despite having been open for over a year, it consistently averages a minimum wait time of 2.5 to 3 hours every single day.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  7. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Hmm, well that's certainly not what I was expecting to hear. Sounds like they could be sitting on a gold mine if Avatar 2 is a hit.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, also the park leverages the strongest aspect of Avatar in terms of audience immersion and their desire to visit Pandora. On top of anything new at Disney/Universal will always draw a crowd for awhile.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The rides are good, that overrides the meh of Avatar itself.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting follow up- the Toy Story Land opened at Hollywood Studios today (and actually opened 2 hours early due to how long the line was) with at least one attraction enduring a 4.5 hour wait.

You’d think the crowds there would alleviate waits at other parks and attractions (Soarin’, for example, over in Epcot, was only a 30 min this morning, and that’s often an hour+ with sold out Fast Passes), but Avatar still had a 3 hour wait.

2019 is going to be ridiculous. And when these sequels hit, 2020 isn’t going to be any better.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]
    The new upgraded CG looks so lifelike and realistic.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah, I'd never guess that wasn't the real Sigourney Weaver and James Cameron!

Ghost likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    She does confirm they've finished shooting 2 & 3, including the underwater work, as well as that she is not playing Grace in this one but rather a new character, but it will be the same character she plays through all of the sequels.

There was also these comments on the story and theme:

"The scripts are amazing, and in the first one, which I love, I think he hadn’t set up a lot of things. In this one he got to tell this very personal story. They’re amazing. There’s a message to not sacrifice everything for greed and conquest. It will take all four movies to really make that message loud and clear for the whole world.

[The sequels play out as] kind of one story. They’re all independent. It works without 4 and 5, but it really is a big saga.”

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Cameron's scriptment that first leaked has I believe Grace's character entering the lifeforce and becoming someone helping but that didn't make it into the final version of the movie but I would think her playing a "new" character is basically Na'vi Grace, or she's all downloaded in there somewhere and cranks out a new body for her. It'd be odd if her character had zero connection with Grace.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She's probably the form Eywa will use to communicate.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Reportedly, the fourth film is titled "The Quest for Eywa."

I posted this BBC report in the "At the Movies" thread as the sequels came up.

Anyway, the BBC is reporting these are likely the titles for the upcoming Avatar films:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He's really going for a fantasy epic vibe with those titles, whole also keeping to the nature theme- at least for the first two. They seem to be paired in sets of 2 with a nature duo and a more specific journey for the latter two, perhaps to reflect the generational advance, depending on how far the timeline advances over the course of the sequels.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    What's a Tulkun? A google revealed nothing.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    JakeSully is going to throw the ring into the fires of Mount Doom at the end!

Diggy likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I assume a creature we haven't seen yet from a different part of Pandora or its moon. Or, perhaps, a title of some sort referring to the rider him/herself as opposed to the mount.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought that might be it, a mystery to come.

There is a name:

• Your name of Tulkun has created a most expressive nature, idealistic and inspirational, driven with a strong inner urge to be of service in some way that would uplift humanity as a whole.
    • However, there is a tendency to assume too heavy a burden of responsibility for others, which leads to worry and undue concern.
    • People with problems are drawn to you as they recognize you as one who has understanding and gives not only sympathy and comfort but provides also some constructive advice or assistance.
    • You have a generous quality to your nature, but you must guard carefully against giving more than you receive or you will find yourself doing without because you have helped someone else.
    • You love people, family, home, and friends and try to be a parent to the whole human race.
    • While you have generally stable conditions in your personal life, you may experience some problems in business affairs through a tendency to be scattering and inattentive to details.
    And then:

In Tibetan Buddhism, a tulku is a person who has been identified as the emanation of a deceased master. The lineages can be centuries long, and the system offers the principle means by which the teachings of various schools of Tibetan Buddhism .

The2ndQuest likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Principle filming has wrapped on at least the first set of sequels.

“Today we’re capturing some stunt scenes, but our principle cast are all wrapped – Sam, Zoe, Sigourney, Stephen Lang, Kate Winslet – they’re done now but they gave us incredible performances, and I can’t tell you how proud I am of the work they did on these films.”

24. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Again...4 sequels to that...
    [​IMG]

juday likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Because movies studios like making money and don't have many new ideas for tent pole franchises.

BigAl6ft6 and Diggy like this.