main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I can see normally, just as everyone else can.

It's just one of those common eye problems that arise in visionary development where one eye dominates the other in terms of vision. There is nothing wrong with my eyes, but it is how the wiring in the brain that has made one eye dominant over the other. If it is caught before age 8, they can put a patch over the dominant eye so the other eye can assert neurological equity.

So, when I put those goofy 3D glasses on, I can't see the 3D image, really. I can't look at those '3D pictures' and perceive the image.

However, I can see normally basically, and I can drive and do everything else.

I also play 1st person shooters all the time.

:)

2. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    After seeing Davey Jones in POTC2, I am convinced that CGI has virtually gone as far as it can ever go, as in it looks totally and compeltely identical to real life. It sounds like all this film will be doing is making a whole army of Davey Jones's.

Slimy!

3. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    It's an interesting concept, but fraught with dangers.

4. Clonuscant

Clonuscant Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
  5. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    The full title is actually Battlefield Earth 2: Avatar

6. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Laugh it up, fuzzball.

7. Clonuscant

Clonuscant Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Bah, Cameron will prove you all wrong yet again! :p

8. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I'm sure it will be spectacular, he's quite the film maker, I'm a big fan.

It does sound alot like That Titan AE movie and Battlefield Earth though. As well as the likely simultaneously released Halo movie.

I'm surprised he went with Weta and not ILM. He's always worked with ILM in the past. ILM made it's name in CGI through James Cameron's movies, The Abyss and Terminator 2 Judgement Day in specific. Perhaps ILM didn't have the time or resources James needs to be invested in this movie. They do have alot on their plate these days, while Weta doesn't as much.

9. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I called flop when it got to the part where he turns into a 10 foot tall blue alien.

That's ******ed.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Something's wrong with the world when someone posts a thread like this and JM22 is nowhere to be found.

Scratch that last part: something's wrong with the world when JM22 isn't the author of a thread like this.

11. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Did you miss the part where Fox gave him $200 million?

12. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Not another Lucas wannabe!!!

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    And they backed out of Halo? Pfft.

14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    except it's 2009 and not... 2001 or whenever it came out.

as far as technoligcal breakthroughs are concerned, this movie sounds very internesting. or else good Marketing.

15. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    So Fox can give James Cameron 200 million for a sci-fi movie, yet when they work with Universal, their sphincters get so tight that they pull funding for the Halo movie...

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  17. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    The ever ambitious (and amphibious) James Cameron has got an Avatar movie too.

Cameron gets 'Avatar' going
    Fox clears the way for sci-fi pic
    By GABRIEL SNYDER, NICOLE LAPORTE
    From Variety

James Cameron and 20th Century Fox are moving forward with the long-planned $200 million production of his 3-D sci-fi tentpole "Avatar" and are aiming for a summer 2009 release.
    "Avatar" pits a band of humans in a battle against a distant planet's indigenous population.

Cameron's pic will hit screens 12 years after the helmer's last feature -- "Titanic," which holds the all-time box office record with $1.8 billion in worldwide ticket sales -- was released in 1997.

The helmer also had been developing "Battle Angel," about a 26th century female cyborg, but said his efforts have been focused on "Avatar" since 2005. "I've been working on this picture exclusively for the last year and a half," he said.

Cameron's "Avatar" will employ CG techniques with which the director has been experimenting over the last several years, including on his underwater 3-D documentaries "Ghosts of the Abyss" and "Aliens of the Deep." The aim of the techniques is to seamlessly blend CGI and live-action footage and characters.

Techniques Cameron has developed via his Lightstorm Entertainment banner include motion-capture CG that can record an actor's facial expressions and a virtual camera system that allows him to see in real time the way his actor-based CG characters interact with their virtual worlds.

Cameron conceived the story for "Avatar" 11 years ago, but waited for the technology to catch up before fully immersing himself in the pic. "I've wanted to do it since then, but sort of shoved it in the back of a drawer," he told Daily Variety. Despite Cameron's "picking away" at the film for the last year and a half, Fox greenlit the film only this week.

Live-action production is slated to begin in April in Los Angeles, with Peter Jackson's New Zealand effects shop WETA doing the major effects work.

Cameron decided to team with Weta after meeting with Jackson and his writing and producing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens in New Zealand. "They sat with me and discussed the script for the better part of a day, giving me their ideas and input," Cameron said. "That whole group down there seems to be a culture that reflects Peter's passion for fantasy filmmaking. It reminds me of how ILM was 25 years ago."

Principal photography will be in 3-D; Cameron hopes the digital cinema equipment needed to show 3-D pics in regular theaters will be pervasive enough by then to allow for a wide 3-D release. He said by summer 2009, there will be between 1,000 and 2,000 3-D screens in the U.S.

"I feel that we're over the hump of the battle domestically," Cameron said. "The international, which typically accounts for as much as two-thirds of revenue on a picture like 'Avatar,' is what's lagging behind."

Cameron said it would take "major filmmakers announcing major projects" for the international exhibition community to play catch-up and realize that "if they want to compete, they'll have to have the same showmanship as in the States."

He added the 3-D experience was a way for Hollywood to keep drawing auds to theaters and away from the proliferation of digital platforms, adding 3-D "maintains that sense of showmanship and gives people something special. It's something that people can't have at home, can't watch on their laptop."

As he did on "Titanic," Cameron sought to cast largely unknown actors for his leads. Young Aussie actor Sam Worthington will play an ex-Marine who ends up leading the planet's indigenous species in battle against the human colonizers. In the lead female role, Zoe Saldana ("Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl") will play a local woman with whom Worthington's character falls in love.

Cameron is designing the creatures who make up the "humanoid indigenous alien species" that inhabit the planet. They are 10 feet tall and blue, with nocturnal vision, but resemble humans.

A movement coach from Cirque du Soleil is worki

18. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Not using ILM???

19. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Apparently not...at least not as the main effects company.
    However, he's done that before. He used to own Digital Domain,
    and he used them for effects on Titanic, however, at the last minute he hired
    ILM to do a few of the most difficult shots in Titanic involving
    the ship sinking. So even if he uses WETA, he might still use
    ILM as well. It's anyone's guess.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It sounds very interesting, but Cameron will have the press lying in wait for him.

21. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Yeah, the press will be out to take him down a few notches after Titanic.
    That's quite a pedestal he's on after the unprecedented success of that film.

I will give the guy credit though, he knows his stuff. He's often accused
    of being a megolamaniac, but I made it through ALL of the extras material
    on the Special Edition DVD of Titanic, and if anything Cameron seemed very
    self-deprecating, down to Earth and accessible. His knowledge of film
    production, the technical stuff, acting, his construction of the fictional
    story in sync with the historical record of Titanic was just staggering.
    His director's commentary was one of the most thorough and interesting
    I'd ever heard.

I'm sure Avatar will be a very ambitious project. He never does anything
    small or halfway (look at True Lies and Terminator II!)

I can't wait for the first trailer for AVATAR! :D

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That's not surprising. He spent a decade developing Titanic before the movie was actually made.

23. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

That's not surprising. He spent a decade developing Titanic before the movie was actually made.

that's interesting...the article mentions he first conceived AVATAR about 11 years ago...
    I think he likes to take his time developing his projects

24. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    And apparently he has given them a great shot with the "Tomb Of Jesus" fiasco.

'Lost Tomb of Jesus' Claim Called a Stunt
    Archaeologists Decry TV Film

By Alan Cooperman
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007; A03

Leading archaeologists in Israel and the United States yesterday denounced the purported discovery of the tomb of Jesus as a publicity stunt.

Scorn for the Discovery Channel's claim to have found the burial place of Jesus, Mary Magdalene and -- most explosively -- their possible son came not just from Christian scholars but also from Jewish and secular experts who said their judgments were unaffected by any desire to uphold Christian orthodoxy.

"I'm not a Christian. I'm not a believer. I don't have a dog in this fight," said William G. Dever, who has been excavating ancient sites in Israel for 50 years and is widely considered the dean of biblical archaeology among U.S. scholars. "I just think it's a shame the way this story is being hyped and manipulated."

The Discovery Channel held a news conference in New York on Monday to unveil a TV documentary, "The Lost Tomb of Jesus," and a companion book about a tomb that was unearthed during construction of an apartment building in the Talpiyot neighborhood of Jerusalem in 1980.

James Cameron, the filmmaker who explored the wreck of the Titanic and directed an Oscar-winning feature film based on its sinking, is executive producer of the documentary. Its claims are based on six ossuaries, or stone boxes for holding human bones, found in the tomb.

The filmmakers contend that the inscriptions on the boxes say Yeshua bar Yosef (Jesus son of Joseph), Maria (Mary), Yose (Joseph), Matia (Matthew), Mariamene e Mara (Maria the Master) and Yehuda bar Yeshua (Judah son of Jesus). They maintain that "Mariamene e Mara" is Mary Magdalene and that Yehuda bar Yeshua may be her son by Jesus.

Simcha Jacobovici, the film's Israeli-born director, said in a telephone interview yesterday that he commissioned four statistical studies that concluded that the odds of those particular names appearing in a single family tomb from the 1st century are "somewhere between 600 and 2.4 million to one."

Jacobovici also said tests on the patina, or surface residue, of the "James Ossuary," which surfaced in 2002, indicate that it also came from the Talpiyot tomb. Israeli authorities have pronounced the James Ossuary, which purportedly held the bones of a brother of Jesus, a forgery and are prosecuting its owner. Jacobovici, who made a 2003 Discovery Channel film about it, maintains it is real.

Dever, a retired professor of archaeology at the University of Arizona, said that some of the inscriptions on the Talpiyot ossuaries are unclear, but that all of the names are common.

"I've know about these ossuaries for many years and so have many other archaeologists, and none of us thought it was much of a story, because these are rather common Jewish names from that period," he said. "It's a publicity stunt, and it will make these guys very rich, and it will upset millions of innocent people because they don't know enough to separate fact from fiction."

Similar assessments came yesterday from two Israeli scholars, Amos Kloner, who originally excavated the tomb, and Joe Zias, former curator of archaeology at the Israeli Antiquities Authority. Kloner told the Jerusalem Post that the documentary is "nonsense." Zias described it in an e-mail to The Washington Post as a "hyped up film which is intellectually and scientifically dishonest."

Jodi Magness, an archaeologist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, expressed irritation that the claims were made at a news conference rather than in a peer-reviewed scientific article. By going directly to the media, she said, the filmmakers "have set it up as if it's a legitimate academic debate, when the vast majority of scholars who specialize in archaeology of this period have f

25. hero_of_canton

hero_of_canton Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2007
    i am a Cameron hater and while i find the incident silly, i dont think any less of him for doing it. all religions have been making crap up for centuries to suit there publicity campaigns, but when this guy tries it at there expense they get insulted? i think Cameron is a horrible movie maker even tho i liked T2, his catalog of work is way below par for all the praise he gets. but he went up a few notches in my book with this one, if only to show how zealous all these "non religous experts" are when it comes to keeping the status quo in tact. even if it does damage his credability and he never works again,i wont lose out, his movies all stink anyways, good riddance to bad rubbish