main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT James Earl Jones = English accent?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Tom Skywalker, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Tom Skywalker

Tom Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2020
    Why do many people think that James Earl Jones has an English accent when he voices Darth Vader?
    I've noticed this statement pretty often.

His accent seems to be more like a non-rhotic Southern US accent (JEJ is from Mississippi):

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Jones has said he stuttered as a child, which is why he speaks slowly and deliberately. I've never noticed an accent.

Sarge likes this.
  3. pellaeon01

pellaeon01 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    I don't think he has a British accent at all. If I had to try and answer the question, I'd guess that since the other Imperials sounded British, folks just assumed Jones was trying to do the same.

Tom Skywalker likes this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Perhaps it’s his pronunciation of “Master.”

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think Jones speaks in a way that’s outside of regular accents as Darth Vader. Jones speaks in a deliberate enunciated manor that is well timed but also lyrical. That lyrical quality disguises accent. And his deep distinctive pitch also give Vader an other worldly quality. Add on top of that the breathing sound effect and whatever modulation is added to make Vader sound more mechanical.

What’s really interesting is when Hayden Christiansen adopts this same style of speaking after turning to the Dark Side. His line “You will try.” does an amazing job capturing the quality of Vader’s voice without other worldly mechanical additions. Hayden does an amazing job sounding like Vader and Jake Llyod.

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I seem to recall reading an interview with Christensen shortly after the AOTC release, where he indeed said that a cross between Lloyd and Jones was exactly what he was going for.