main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jar Jar Binks isn't THAT bad

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lordmaximus1262, Feb 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    In that case, it is even more her fault. Chancellor Valorum was seemingly a good man.

Dandelo likes this.
  2. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    And Padme has no way of knowing what kind of a man he really is. Padme makes a mistake, but she also can't predict the future or know someone's intentions.

Lowly Gungan likes this.
  3. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    That is true, but my point was that it is more reasonable to blame her than to blame Jar Jar.

Dandelo likes this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    shocking.

5. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    Yeah I agree. I actually think it is some of the other Gungans that are more of a problem, like when the fierce guards start talking in yousa in deep doo doo poo poo poopsy fashion. Just replace a few lines and performances for many of the other Gungans and I bet the whole thing would've gotten less flack from some circles and Jar Jar would've been way more accepted.

Anyway, it's hardly the end of the world for me, what are a few lines, like a couple minutes time, in an over two hour long movie? I still love the film (as well as all of the others).

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  6. RogueDianoga

Sep 11, 2022
    The thing is Anakin was not supposed to be some born bad seed, he was supposed to have a tragic fall and how do you fall if you were never up to begin with? He wasn't supposed to be some kid nasty and bad to the bone from day one. And even more, how in the world does he redeem himself at the end if he was some born bad to the bone bad seed little kid? How would he then be the first to turn back from so far down the dark path ever? How would the audience feel the redemption work? What would he be turning back to if he was never that to begin with to any degree?
    He was supposed to be innocent in the first film and it was supposed to heighten the impact of his fall and make ROTS feel even more shocking.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  7. RogueDianoga

Sep 11, 2022
    but she felt he was too weak to stand up and do what was right and was just caving to trade federation pressure and special interests too much

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This falls under what I've long said about fans not understanding the Saga. Lucas was aware of that.

"...some of the people had a hard time with the reason that Anakin goes bad. Somebody asked whether somebody could kill Anakin's best friend, so that he really gets angry. They wanted a real betrayal, such as, "You tried to kill me so now I'm going to try and kill you." They didn't seem to understand the fact that Anakin is simply greedy. There is no revenge. The revenge of the Sith is Palpatine. It doesn't have much to do with Darth Vader; he's a pawn in the whole scheme....

So I had to ask myself, what was I trying to say and didn't I say it? Did it just get missed or it is it not there? I had to look at it very hard. I had to ask myself, Is this how the audience is going to react? Fortunately, Steven confirmed that most of everything was working. So I may lose a certain demographic - maybe, maybe not. But I had to make a decision, and I decided that I'm not going to alter the film to make it more commercial or marketable. I have to be true to my vision, which is 30 years old, but I have to be true to it."

--George Lucas, The Making of ROTS, page 188.

9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Jar Jar Binks is fine.

He serves the purpose of having the kids who watch the movie laugh with him, and he doesn't even appear that much. There are so many things happening in the entire Prequel Trilogy, that if one chooses to focus on how much Jar Jar annoys them, then they miss the entire forest. Even in The Phantom Menace, where he has a somewhat larger role. In AOTC and ROTS he barely appears. His presence is completely inconsequential.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Sith Lord 2015 and RogueDianoga like this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Randomly came across this, lol:

Watcherwithin likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No. Just no.

12. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    Boss Nass knows a Sith Lord when he sees one @Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red likes this.
  13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well maybe not. Nass was there along with Palpatine at Qui-gon's funeral and the victory celebration.

Tia and Watcherwithin like this.
  14. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I always felt like Boss Nass was giving Jar Jar a bit of a backhanded punishment (puny-shment?) by promoting him to general. I don't think he was trying to have him killed though.

15. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    oops nevermid

I like Jar-Jar, on Naboo in the first half of the movie

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  16. Power of the Dark Side

Power of the Dark Side Jedi Master star 3

Mar 17, 2023
    Jar-Jar is highly irritating. Its the annoying little antics, like when he gets his head caught in the podracer's beam or the eating apples with his tongue. It makes me roll my eyes everytime. I am very glad his role was drastically reduced in II and III. But I like dark or morally ambiguous charecters the best, so I guess that follows.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Out of an abundance of caution I’m putting this big about the Mandalorian in spoiler tags.

Great seeing Ahmed Best on the Mandalorian.

I feel like Jar-Jar is such a sweet and ultimately innocent character. ILM did such a fantastic job translating Best’s performance as Jar-Jar into the animated character that there is a recognizable similarity between Jar-Jar and the actor. The facial expressions and movements. In some tangible way Jar-Jar looks like Best.

Seeing Best I feel for any character he portrays the same fondness I have for Jar-Jar.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  18. DarthGiri

DarthGiri Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2022
    What are you talking about? He's a sith lord

clone commander bossk likes this.