main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jar Jar's Fate

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Joeykin_Starrunner, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeykin_Starrunner

Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    Jar Jar Binks blazed onto the screen in 1999 among much controversy. Many fans hated him, stating that he was one of the biggest reasons why they didn't like the movie. But, most kids seemed to like him. Then, in AOTC, his screen time was reduced significantly...to about 5 min...but he played a pivotal role in granting Palaptine more power, so his presence seemed justified. Now, in ROTS, his screentime will probably be reduced even more, if he even appears at all.

Something to consider: Boba Fett's fate was revealed in AOTC simply because the fans love him. Lucas himself has said that Fett's overwhelming reception was a happy accident. He was never intended to be anything more than the Bounty Hunter who caught Han Solo back when ESB was made. So, Lucas listened to his fans in that case, and gave Boba Fett (and his dad) a significant role in the origins of the Clone Wars. Do you think that George did the same in Jar Jar's case, but in reverse? Did fan backlash prompt Lucas to reduce Jar Jar's role in the Series (which he would never admit publicly if that was the case, of course)? Or did Lucas always plan to cut down his screentime as the series went on, regardless of what fan reception was?

Remember, I want to hear what you guys really think, not just what Lucas has said or not said about the matter.

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    There's a thread on this in the AOTC forum:

http://boards.theforce.net/Attack_of_the_Clones/b10001/18614078/?49

3. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    When I first saw Jar Jar in brief clips on tv i thought he was female.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually, Starrunner maybe on to something. Maybe Lucas figured that if the fans hate Jar Jar, then Jar Jar should do something to really earn it, like destroy the Republic.

5. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    good job

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Personally, I relate his lack of screen time to lack of having anything to do. Sure, perhaps Lucas did it on purpose, but at the same time, Jar Jar already served his major purpose in TPM by uniting the Gungans and the Naboo, and also by helping to show the motiff of the little guys winning because of flaws with the big guy's technology.

7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    George is a fan of the character he created. He wouldn't listen to the audience if they didn't like him. Lucas does this movies for himself.
    I too believe there wasn't much for him to do in AOTC. Though, he did do something pivotal in AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.