main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Can we please cut the crap out of Community?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by GriffZ, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    The administration cannot realistically dictate the content of the JCC, and it cannot force a more intelligent forum.

I agree, but at some point I believe the forum mod presence should be allowed step in and encourage (not dictate) other topics of discussion when the forum discussion quality has gone low enough to encompass the creation of an official fecal matter discussion thread.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    This is true, although yet again that's something of a subjective idea.

You and I both dealt with the Slackers and their... differing ideas on what should be allowed in the JCC. That was interesting.

Edit: I should note that I have no desire at all to see such an official thread, and that I prefer things to be "decent" in the sense that most people would agree on. But, that's just my view.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    You and I both dealt with the Slackers and their... differing ideas on what should be allowed in the JCC. That was interesting.

Yes, yes it was.

Actually, you raise a fairly relevant point. For over 2 years we maintained a base level to which we'd allow threads, regardless of the vocal minority that wished it otherwise.

While people espouse the right to discuss anything they want in the JCC because of "Freedom of Speech", in other forums (especially this one) there is the constant reminder that there is a limit to that freedom that is allowed here because of the nature of these forums (or if you listen to one person in particular, we have no rights at all). The mods can, have and should be able to dictate a level at which "we" (the entire community and especially the people who own this place) say that this is as low as we go.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I know I've been pretty open about what I want from the community. A place where people can have fun and post goofy threads, socialize and participate in games. Personally, I don't mind one (maybe two) poop threads every once and awhile. It's when they start overtaking the JCC that it becomes a problem.

5. Darth_Smelly

Darth_Smelly Jedi Master star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    I believe the forum mod presence should be allowed step in and encourage (not dictate) other topics of discussion

But it is not YOUR decision to decide what can be posted and what is locked. You can encourage all you want....but if people want to talk about a certain subject (whatever it may be as long as it is within the TOS) that you deem "low" then they should be allowed. You can't just start locking threads because you don't like the subject matter. Having one thread dedicated to this (poop, pee, farts or whatever) would solve the problem.....anything could be posted in there and any new threads opened related to those subject areas such bodily functions would be locked immediately. You have one thread and if it sinks then so be it....poop threads are gone forever.

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    " But it is not YOUR decision to decide what can be posted and what is locked."

Uhm, take one look at his title, and you will see that it is his decision.

7. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    Uhm, take one look at his title, and you will see that it is his decision.

It is his decision to police anything that is not within the TOS....it is not his decision to police and lock topics that he does not necessarily like or agree with.

8. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I don't think that there's any kind of a need for an official poop thread. As long as we don't start getting multiple poop threads on the front page, it's not a problem in my mind.

9. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    Last night one got locked down for no other reason than it being a "poop" thread. There were no other "poop" threads on the first 3 pages and the user who created it was not redirected to another thread to use.

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    And that's why I think that we need a policy here.

11. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    Exactly Raven......There has been no consistency in the JCC for a while. Katya_Jade has been doing a great job as of late, but apparently it still exists. And this doesn't just go for the "poop" threads....it is for everything as a whole.

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Last night one got locked down for no other reason than it being a "poop" thread.

Actually Smelly, that thread from last night could have been locked for two other reasons as well. The first being redundancy since a thread already existed about someone at work soiling themselves or smelling like it, one which I believe you created. The second reason is that the thread could have been interepreted as a parody thread of that thread.

13. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    I was of the understanding that a user only had to look back 5 pages to see if a similar topic existed? I am not going to go spend the time looking for my thread that I created but I am pretty sure it is buried somewhere further back than 5 pages. Second...how could it be a parody thread? It just happened to be a similar story.

Why aren't all poop threads directed to one thread then? Why aren't all poop threads a parody? Where is the consistency?

14. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Generally, parody threads have very similar wording in the title and the first post. Two posts about similar things don't tend to be called parody threads. And least, that's the way it used to be.

15. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Why aren't all poop threads directed to one thread then? Why aren't all poop threads a parody? Where is the consistency?

I don't think it's an issue of consistency, it's an issue of you wanting to discuss fecal matter and our decision to limit that. The consistency exists.

16. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    It is about consistency...just because you don't like the subject matter does not mean it should be locked. Since when does one moderator make the decision for the ENTIRE forum???? What if it wasn't fecal matter and something else....if it is within the TOS it should be treated like any other thread. If you want to limit it....how do you propose doing so? One poop thread per day per user?

EDIT: Dashy changed his text from MY decision to OUR decision.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    But what are those limits based on?

I think that might be the overriding issue.

18. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    It is about consistency...just because you don't like the subject matter does not mean it should be locked. Since when does one moderator make the decision for the ENTIRE forum???? What if it wasn't fecal matter and something else....if it is within the TOS it should be treated like any other thread. If you want to limit it....how do you propose doing so? One poop thread per day per user?

There are many threads that I come across everyday that I do not like, that is only human, but do I lock them? No. I only lock threads when they are in violation of the TOS or when I feel they are beginning to weigh in on the quality of the forum, which is the case in this instance. I addressed the issue in the MS last night and the two JCC mods that did respond to my post on this issue backed my stance up. One or two threads every now and then about poop is alright, but we aren't going to allow the forum to be overran with multiple ones, nor will we sanction an official thread. While one moderator may bring an issue to the forefront or spearhead the action on an issue, the final word and decision is made by all of the JCC mods because we are a team.

As for the limitations on the threads, a poop thread once every week or two is alright but having one a day is too much in my opinion and I feel the others would agree with me on this.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    . I only lock threads when they are in violation of the TOS or when I feel they are beginning to weigh in on the quality of the forum, which is the case in this instance.

The quality of the forum? By whose and what standards are you using to judge that?

For me, the main issue here isn't any one thread, but rather the subjective idea of forum quality and what is/isn't okay. There are some things that certainly don't belong in the JCC (the trolling attacks make that point abundantly clear), but it starts to get a bit more gray with some things.

No one subject should overrun the JCC or start pushing other threads off the front page (that happened again with the Senate, and has been dealt with accordingly). At the same time, forum quality is a highly subjective.

20. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    having one a day is too much in my opinion

You are allowed to your opinion....but since when does the JCC get governed by your opinions?

21. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    The quality of the forum? By whose and what standards are you using to judge that?

The JCC moderators. I think we're all in agreement that poop threads and other related topics aren't really the way to go in terms of improving the quality of the forum. Just because I am the only JCC mod responding and addressing this issue in this thread doesn't necessarily imply that these are my thoughts, judgements, and decisions alone.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The JCC moderators. I think we're all in agreement that poop threads and other related topics aren't really the way to go in terms of improving the quality of the forum.

But who says the quality of the forum needs to or even can be improved? What constitutes an "improvement"? Can you quantify these things, or is it just in the eye of the beholder?

What qualifies as "related topics"?

23. Darth_Smelly

Mar 29, 2004
    I think we're all in agreement that poop threads and other related topics aren't really the way to go in terms of improving the quality of the forum.

If people find them humerous and post in them....what is the problem? No one is forcing anyone to post or discuss it. It is within the TOS. It just seems apparent that you just don't like the subject matter.

24. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Okay, now, here are my thoughts.

While we want the forum to be relatively free of obscene and "gross" topics, I don't think anyone feels the need to ban poop threads. As I said earlier, one or two is fine on occassion, but we don't want to see the forum inundated with them.

It is our job as mods to help create a culture for the forum. Therefore, we will make decisions from time to time on what needs to be locked. With 5 of us, we try as hard as we can to be on the same page, but there will be times that we differ on what we think could have stayed open and should have been locked.

Again, as we've talked about in the past, the JCC is, inherently, a "fluff" forum - filled with practically everything under the sun in terms of topics. I don't have a problem with letting the forum flow and locking topics that are redundant or against the TOS/Rules of conduct. Our job as moderators is not to impede the flow of topics, but to help make sure the forum is enjoyable and readable by the majority of the users. Therefore, we will use our judgement on what that includes. If a thread isn't liked - it will sink.

We are continuing to talk about the "poop issue" in the MS, so please don't get too wrapped up in the discussion here. We haven't had a lot of time to get into a major discussion since last night. When we come to a consensus on how we want to handle the threads going forward, we'll post here.

25. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    I honestly dont think the issue is "poop" threads in general. I can understand wanting to make the JCC better etc etc, but poop threads are not the issue. When one is created, it seems like many post in it because its funny, gross and something we all have in common and can relate to. If many pop up in a short period of time, i agree that that gets out of control. Now, for the quality of the JCC, i personally dont think these types of topics are really all that bad compared to some of the other worthless crap threads that are created. I mean the ones that flood the JCC with topics like "guess what I'm thinking" "what did I eat today" "how many people know me" etc etc, you get the point. These are just examples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.