main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JCC Meme Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Jul 14, 2018.

1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I high-key hate this.

[​IMG]

Dear @Ramza, as the local representative of math, I wish to complain to you that my knowledge of bigger and smaller infinities exists. This information is simultaneously obvious and wrong and stupid, and the angles are wrong and Cthulhu. I demand that you make it go away.

Sincerely,

Numerically Illiterate in Hell

Lord Vivec, Sarge and Ramza like this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The thing about infinite cardinals is that it's not useful to think of them as "sizes" in the traditional sense (since, you know, they're all infinite) but rather to think of them as hierarchies of allowed mappings.

Which sounds pretentious as hell, but it's basically this idea:

Say I want to map every integer (positive and negative whole numbers) to every natural number (whole numbers greater than zero), such that no two elements map to the same number. While you might initially balk at this, remember there's infinite stuff, there's always more room on the tail end. So we just pick a lazy assignment - 0 -> 1, 1->2, -1->3, 2->4, -2->5, etc. Because we can make this kind of assignment, we say "Okay, these two sets accept the same kind of maps, they're the 'same' infinity."

Now if I tried to map every real number to every natural number such that no two elements map to the same number, I'd have a big issue. Now technically, the argument is a bit involved, but the basic idea relies on the observation that you can produce any real number as the limit of a sequence of real numbers (E.g., 0, 0.9, 0.99, 0.999, etc. converges to 1), and then if you assume by contradiction that you can produce the mapping you want - oops! a real number you didn't account for can always pop out. So that kind of mapping cannot be possible.

The reverse is obviously not true - the natural numbers are all real numbers, so just map them to their real number counterparts. So it makes sense to say the real numbers are a 'strictly bigger' infinity.

On those labels - there are as many cardinals as there are cardinals (this sounds ****ing bizarre, but just stop and think - if there weren't, we'd need new cardinals to account for those cardinals), so all the infinite ones are labeled in order of appearance. The naturals are size aleph_0 because they're provably the smallest infinity, and logicians are edgy rebels who begin counting at zero (this is why CS folks also do this). A cool trick involving binary encodings actually reveals that the infinity for the real numbers is 2^(aleph_0). Famously literally no one can actually prove if this is the next infinity after aleph_0 or if there's something in between.

Now the last and most obvious question - who cares about this? Well, for a long time, basically no one who wasn't a mathematician doing it for the thrill, and it's still hard to get funding. :p But in another way as we butt up against the limits of current computing technologies and cook up weird infinite proofs for basic sorting techniques on real, extent data, we're going to need to grapple with understanding these concepts "finitely." Baseline understanding of our infinities better might help in that process, and that's before you get into weirder worlds of research like, um... mine. Is this a valid reason or concern for conducting research? No, knowledge for its own sake is a fine goal. Is it a valid argument to present to a grant committee obsessed with the performance of application? Hell yes, you definitely care about the Netflix problem or that other buzzword you say as you lie like a mother****er.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    DarthIntegral and poor yorick like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

(my reaction when trying to understand Ramza's post)

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Look, I really tried, but at some point I'm explaining concepts grounded in fundamental ideas from classes you pretty much only take as a math major. :p

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    DarthIntegral and TCF-1138 like this.
  5. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Dear @Ramza,

Thank you for taking the time and care required to explain the existence of bigger and smaller infinities to a layman. However, what I asked you to do is to make them go away entirely. Instead, they are now more real than ever. I shall therefore be forced to stare shivering into the Void for an indefinite period.

Damn you, damn you, damn dirty mathematicians.

Yours truly,

Why Is The Statue Of Liberty Sticking Halfway Out Of The Sand AAAAAAA

Chewgumma, Rew, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    *sigh*

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  8. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, at least things take a turn for the better in November!

Chewgumma, Rew, PCCViking and 2 others like this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm in favor of his anti-Monday and pro-lasagna platform over anything the other candidates are offering.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Chewgumma, FatBurt, Ava G. and 4 others like this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    On the other hand, much like Michael Bloomberg, he does have a troubling history with dogs.

Ava G. likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  13. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  15. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  17. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    [​IMG]
    The Morning Chronicle, Manhattan, Kansas, March 14, 1921

[​IMG]
    Des Moines Tribune, Iowa, December 20, 1928

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Arwen Sith, Sarge, Rew and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Die Negation, die Negation dieser Negation, und DIE ÜBERGATION.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  20. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  22. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    [​IMG]

I honestly can’t tell if this meme is for or against objective morality. I seriously considered it for a while, but the only conclusion I came to was that I wanted chocolate. We had Oreos instead of Kit-Kats, so I ate a bunch of those. I’m pretty sure the moral of the story is that philosophy will make you fat.

23. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    That picture is offensive

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    freaking spoiler that image, jesus

darthhelinith and FatBurt like this.
  25. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012