main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC Social threads/groups policy] A 6 month wait for a 1 month thread? This needs to end NOW

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthTunick , Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    If a group of people simply started posting in a social way in a random thread, in an attempt to form a social atmosphere, would this thread be locked?

Not speaking as a mod, but I can say with certainty that when the "Tribe" thread was started, it was in no way, shape, or form intended or even meant to be a social thread. That's just what it eventually became. After talking to Jeff, that's the way the AC was as well.

The majority of social threads weren't created as "Hey, let's make a social thread." They were created as "Hey, let's make a thread" and it eventually evolves into more.

I don't get what this obsession with having your own, labeled, social thread is. THAT is cliquey. Having a thread that is about something general, but has a core group of dedicated posters, is not.

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    That's a good way to put it, Carmen.

I've been thinking lately that there should be no labeled social threads from this point, and only those who turn into social threads.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    droideka27 posted on 6/7/05 8:10pm
    Exactly, Paul is right

[i]Not more than any other group, I just feel we deserve one. malkie, how many times must I type it? I don't care if the previous social threads existed before this policy was put in place, you guys should have more guts than to be afraid of users in those threads.[/i]

he he he he *snort* wow.

k, when you become a mod, dear tunick, you can spend all your time locking threads that you feel are "too social" and having every single call challenged over PM or in comms.

The policy is working quite well. And we just fixed an area that needed fixing. We're making progress.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]No offense, how hard is it push buttons on your keyboards & use your computer mouses? That's all the stuff Mods do when locking threads anyway, it's not hard work. If the policy is working so well, why not lift it & see what happens? Nobody has even mentioned my solution (having 1 or 2 new JCC mods specializing in social threads) as way of keeping the JCC calm if this policy were to be lifted.[/color]

4. Medical-Droid

Medical-Droid Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2001
    It looks like the Sarcasm Knights have turned the "What do you think of the Sarcasm Knights?" thread into their social thread.

5. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    That's outrageous!

6. Medical-Droid

Medical-Droid Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2001
    Hardly. You've got a bunch of Knights posting in there, and you're carrying on like you did in your old social thread. It seems like your trying to skirt along the happy side of the YJCC policy.

7. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Houston, we have a problem.

This is a thinly-veiled attempt at a social thread.

your argument fails due to the fact that I'm not a Knight.

And you were being sarcastic.

8. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "Hardly. You've got a bunch of Knights posting in there, and you're carrying on like you did in your old social thread. It seems like your trying to skirt along the happy side of the YJCC policy. "

Your argument fails due to the fact that I'm not a Knight.

9. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Well, we all knew that was going to happen sooner or later. The fact of the matter is the Knights are seen as the problem children of the YJCC. That is not the reason however that we cannot get a social thread. The new "Shiny Council" cannot get a social group thread either.

The policy changed. Do I like it? No. Can I change it? No. Even if I were a mod could I change it? No.

The Mods/Managers/Admins had reasons for changing the policy, whether it be spam or whatever. If the Knights had been established for longer then perhaps things would have been different, perhaps not.

Either way it is a dead issue and I see no reason to continue beating this dead horse. And I would now like to take this opprotunity to announce my candidacy for President of the United States.

Jack1138 in 2008! Nice ring to it don't you think?

:p

Now back to your regularly schedueled forums!

:p

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Jack, how can things change if they're not discussed?

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    DarthTunick posted on 6/7/05 11:56pm
    [color=red]Jack, how can things change if they're not discussed?[/color]
    [hr][/blockquote]

um, this thread would be a discussion - no?

We've addressed your original point and changed policy to try and meet your original point. Discussion over I think.

12. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Sheesh. If you want it that badly, why not just make a board yourself? Can you honestly not see the reasoning in not wanting several dozen social threads? At the rate those things move... it would be a nightmare for the mods.... even if a few moer were promoted. It just dosen't seem like a viable solution to me.

13. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Although I don't get involved much with the 'social thread' type of thing, I do think the waiting list is a good idea to keep control after the forum has expanded in size over the years.

I used to think it was a bit silly, but I see merit in it now.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Sigh. I can't see any possible merit in this.

15. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Then you either have a short memory, or were not in the JC when the rule was introduced. There was a good reason for it, and it did have merit.

16. dudeski

dudeski Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2004
    you are just wasting your time, tunick. just accept the fact that no one from the upper echelons wants a "sarcasm knights" thread. they are all laughing at the knights because of the turmoil that is being caused by this pointless debate. however, there are alternatives to fighting.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Darth_Ignant posted on 6/8/05 9:24am
    Then you either have a short memory, or were not in the JC when the rule was introduced. There was a good reason for it, and it did have merit.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]If the this damn policy was introduced between January-September 2004, then you're right. I wasn't here during those 9 months.[/color]

18. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm curious about when the policy was introduced as well (mainly to explore the statement "just accept the fact that no one from the upper echelons wants a "sarcasm knights" thread."). Was it at the time of the Sarcasm Knights request to become a social group, or are they just the first group to protest it? The most recent newly established social group appears to be The Shadow Sith Army in March of this year, so I'm assuming the rule was made after that.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    carmenite42 posted on 6/8/05 1:09pm
    I'm curious about when the policy was introduced as well (mainly to explore the statement "just accept the fact that no one from the upper echelons wants a "sarcasm knights" thread."). Was it at the time of the Sarcasm Knights request to become a social group, or are they just the first group to protest it? The most recent newly established social group appears to be [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/18634483/p1]The Shadow Sith Army[/link] in March of this year, so I'm assuming the rule was made after that.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]If that's the case, I would be angry, but not suprised.[/color]

20. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    they are all laughing at the knights because of the turmoil that is being caused by this pointless debate.

I'm constantly amazed at how people think that just because a rule affects them that the rule was put in place specifically to "defeat" their purposes. It isn't about the Knights or any other group. The fact remains that social threads became a huge issue in the past and were starting to become an issue late last year. So, the waiting list was put in place. If you don't like it, create an offshoot board like 99% of the people here.

Like others have said, many threads here become social threads. If you don't break the rules of conduct then the mods generally leave you alone.

I think it says something that the mods changed their policy to make it better for those on the waiting list but still some people want to complain. A compromise was made to help the majority of JCC posters. It's too bad that it doesn't get the Knights what they want, but oh well.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I think it says something that the mods changed their policy to make it better for those on the waiting list but still some people want to complain. A compromise was made to help the majority of JCC posters. It's too bad that it doesn't get the Knights what they want, but oh well.

Still having a thread for one month is no solution.

22. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    We disagree, for reasons that have been discussed many times before.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Quixotic-Sith posted on 6/8/05 1:25pm
    We disagree, for reasons that have been discussed many times before.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]Reasons that in my view are completely unfair.[/color]

24. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Then we have hit an impasse. We have endeavored to meet the needs of the majority of the YJCC with the policy, and have agreed to make a change in light of the present discussion. It's unfortunate that you are still unsatisfied, but our concerns are the welfare of the community.

25. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    Here is my question.

It appears that the Sarcasm Knights have been trying to get a thread going since before March of this year. However, in March another group was approved by the mods, while the knights were overlooked.

If that's true, and they have been trying since before the Shadow Sith Army, but were passed over in favor of the Shadow Sith Army, then I can totally understand their frustration.

Could a mod respond to that, and explain why one group was allowed, but the other wasn't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.