main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC Social threads/groups policy] A 6 month wait for a 1 month thread? This needs to end NOW

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthTunick , Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    agree and disagree. I don't think you should make any exceptions to any rules. I think if you are put in a situation where an excemption to the rule would benefit the JC, then the rule is flawed and needs to be modified or updated.

Well, yes... i meant in extreme moderation. I agree with you more than that post i said above implied. *bes confusing*

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    We were told countless times (because this argument has been fought countless times) that we were able to open up permanant residence in the SWC forums.

Told by whom? I believe I speak on behalf of Stryphe as well when I say "no way." Neither of us would have given the OK for this. When I was approached about this by one of the so-called "Knights" I specifically and explicitly said no and gave my reasons. The SWC forum is for Star Wars related threads. Any social threads that exist there discuss specific Star Wars related things. Purely social threads with no basis in Star Wars do not belong in the SWC forum. They go in the YJCC forum.

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    If we are still cleared for a full time thread in SWC, I would reccomend just accepting it.

No offense to anyone, but this attitude that SWC is a dumping ground for threads that no one else wants or will take irritates me. The Knights thread is a YJCC thread and should go there. If the YJCC mods won't allow it, that's their decision and I will not interfer, but it does not belong in SWC.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Strilo posted on 6/8/05 5:11pm
    [i]We were told countless times (because this argument has been fought countless times) that we were able to open up permanant residence in the SWC forums.[/i]

Told by whom? I believe I speak on behalf of Stryphe as well when I say "no way." Neither of us would have given the OK for this. When I was approached about this by one of the so-called "Knights" I specifically and explicitly said no and gave my reasons. The SWC forum is for Star Wars related threads. Any social threads that exist there discuss specific Star Wars related things. Purely social threads with no basis in Star Wars do not belong in the SWC forum. They go in the YJCC forum.

[hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]Wonderful, any last option has just been dumped! Just fantastic, really.[/color][face_frustrated][face_sad]

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Sorry Tunick but the SWC was never an option. If someone told you that, they were mistaken and not authorized to make such a claim. Glad that misconception about the Knights belonging in SWC has been cleared up. :)

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Easy now - that was suggested as an 'idea' by some of the JCC Mods - just an 'idea' - nothing more than that. It would obviously have had to been approved by you guys, but we just put it out as an 'idea'. It came from the fact that the Knights came from movie forum, and might be able to find a home in anothe movie forum - thats all.

Sadly however, one of the Knights took the 'idea' and started stating it as 'fact' which clearly wasn't the case.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Things just go from bad to worse. Life is so dandy! :([face_plain] I don't see the big threat in having this policy lifted. but no matter how many reasonable points I bring up, I just get shot down.[face_frustrated]

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yep.

It was presented to me in 'fact' form after an argument I missed on here.

I wasn't told firsthand, but when I saw Mods posting allusions to it in threads (ie- "onsider what we told you about doing it in the SWC") it was impressed on me that we were being herded that way.

Sorry for the confusion.

I guess we are damned to an eternity of trolling threads and turning them into vaguely disguised social threads. [face_plain]

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't think threatening to troll is a very wise idea.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I guess we are damned to an eternity of trolling threads and turning them into vaguely disguised social threads

That's the point I believe the Mod Squad is missing. You guys tell us to look for threads to take over, but if it is seen as an outright social thread, it's going to get locked.
    [face_plain]

11. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Tunick, again, I agree that the Knights should be contained in one thread. Meh, make that a forum. ;)

If you are curious as to how the SSA helps users I'd be glad to take you on as an apprentice and put you through our training. I think you would then have a better idea of what we do and how we serve the administration.

OMG I sound like Mace Windu!

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Typical Mod response.

Everything I post automatically has to be taken to the most base, negative level...

Why do I continue to try to defend your position? [face_plain]

13. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm not sure there much positivity you can draw out of :-

I guess we are damned to an eternity of trolling threads

Possibly not the best choice of words ;)

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Sorry if 'damned' made it sound like something we should look forward to... :p

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    malkieD2 posted on 6/8/05 5:30pm
    I'm not sure there much positivity you can draw out of :-

[i]

I guess we are damned to an eternity of trolling threads

[/i]

Possibly not the best choice of words [face_wink]
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]That wasn't, but we're limited to what we can do because of the Mod Squad. It stinks, its unfair & its wrong, not just for us, but for any user who wants to have their fun with a social group/thread.[/color]

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And what about the users who don't want their forum choked up with 100s of social threads? Are they to be ignored?

17. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Or you could make an off-shoot board like just about everyone else does.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Strilo posted on 6/8/05 5:37pm
    And what about the users who don't want their forum choked up with 100s of social threads? Are they to be ignored?

[hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]They shouldn't, but mods can easily lock social threads that they feel are just flat out spam if the policy were to be lifted.[/color]

19. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    DarthTunick posted on 6/8/05 5:39pm
    [color=red]They shouldn't, but mods can easily lock social threads that they feel are just flat out spam if the policy were to be lifted.[/color]
    [hr][/blockquote]
    And what separates a SK thread from others that we feel might be flat out spam?

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Um... if the continual posting of people using the board to socialize with each other wouldn't convince you... well, I suppose there's no real answer to that question...

21. dudeski

dudeski Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2004
    I'm constantly amazed at how people think that just because a rule affects them that the rule was put in place specifically to "defeat" their purposes.

i'm amazed that you would think that. if i thought a rule was put into place to "specifically defeat my purposes", i would say so. i was just making an observation of the effects of said pointless debate. as a knight myself, i am amazed at all the tiresome bickering and whining taking place.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    HawkNC posted on 6/8/05 5:40pm
    And what separates a SK thread from others that we feel might be flat out spam?

[hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]A thread in which people don't socialize & just post nonsense.[/color]

23. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    A thread in which people don't socialize & just post nonsense.

So what do you do in a SK threads that isn't those two things?

24. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    A thread in which people don't socialize & just post nonsense.

I thought you were after a social thread? Isn't that what you do there? And the definition of "posting nonsense" would vary alot depending on who you ask. Can you be more specific?

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    There have been countless examples of how SK have kept a healthy social thread at the top of a board that was also hosting the most newly created threads and ongoing debate threads on the boards.

In spite of being unbelievably busy, the top of page one of the 3SA was always the social boards due in no small part to the SK.

Which is to say, I don't see how the ROTS forums will cease to exist, and moreso, its social thread.

Why is that ROTS social suddenly not appealing.

The TPM social still exists and probably has the same three people arguing over Jar Jar that were there in 99.

Is a new perm thread a neccesity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.