main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JCC Writers’ Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Apr 11, 2020.

?

Are you interested in a participating in a JCC writing community for original fiction?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    The tag should be changed, too

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I think you need a moderator to do that.

3. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    @Point Given @heels1785

Could one of you change the title to JCC Writers’ Sanctuary and change the tag to ‘JCC,’ please?

heels1785 likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I’ll wait until they get here, then :rolleyes:

Lordban, Lord Vivec and Princess_Tina like this.
  5. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, I’m sorry, I thought you’d be busy with super important head admin business! :_|

Lordban likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  7. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Okay, finally made time for the 2nd half on a road trip yesterday. Definitely enjoyed it. My favorite part was the CIA blackmail. Total surprise to me and was my main, “I really want to know what happens to this character” plot line.

I like the historical characters... didn’t feel forced to me where it could on paper so to speak. Especially with the Armstrong action/chase/sacrifice, that would I think be a theoretical danger but no... I loved it.

I did think Valentina’s conversion was perhaps too abrupt, especially giving up info about the Designer. I didn’t see her motivation there because as far as I understand, it doesn’t relate to, “OK, I’ll tell you because it will help avoid a war.”

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I will revisit how much she would give up about The Chief Designer. Her motivation should be more clear in that she doesn't want a war.

I am glad the Armstrong thing worked for you. I specifically wanted to push home the Alternate History aspect of this, so that's why I chose Armstrong for the viewer/reader to know what to expect. Blam, NASA's mission is different now, it's no longer about the moon.

Glad you enjoyed it. And especially Art's story. That's definitely one I am excited to expand on.

Kiki Jinn likes this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Here's a question for the writers here: do any of you associate music and songs with your stories? I find myself invariably assembling soundtracks for the stories I'm working on, and sometimes songs end up directly influencing the story/appear in the story/lend themselves to the titles of stories or chapters.

Ghost, Juliet316 and Kiki Jinn like this.
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I pretty much always assemble soundtracks for what I'm writing, yes.

11. Kiki Jinn

Aug 21, 2020
    By the way, I do not envy the work ahead of you in transforming what you’ve got from script to novel. Feels so much like a TV show as I read it if that makes any sense. Not just bc yeah it’s a script.

But then again it’s like having a head start I guess so there’s that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah at least I have laid the groundwork for the world and everything..but yeah it's not gonna be easy to change it up.

Kiki Jinn likes this.
  13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    The first draft of my novel is finished.

Over 700 pages and 203,000 words

Ghost, solojones, Kiki Jinn and 5 others like this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  15. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    That’s nearly two times as long as it should be, btw

16. Kiki Jinn

Aug 21, 2020
    So, if anyone ever tries to crowd source the self-publication of their book, hit me up for information.
    I’ve done it once successfully in the past and I am in the middle of a Kickstarter nightmare right now in trying to do it the second time.
    The bottom line is that 99% of the time a Kickstarter campaign works fine (assuming you hit your funding goal). But what I have sadly learned this time around is that if there is a hitch, they have the worst customer service you’ll ever experience.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Any of the writers here doing NaNoWriMo?

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No. I don’t write nearly fast enough to do NaNoWriMo.

CairnsTony likes this.
  19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I do, but my ratio of worldbuilding text to actual story writing usually runs about 100:1. :p

Kiki Jinn and Ghost like this.
  20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I have a publication question and I am looking for feedback. I’ve been thinking about the idea of self-publishing my original writing projects in the form of a serial, as opposed writing a complete draft. Is this a good idea, or should I focus on finishing my novels first?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Personally? My writing style is to break up my novel onto separate parts that could be independent stories.
    The only concern is that you have to keep track of what you've done to try to avoid contradictions with what you've published, but better authors than us have gone back and revised prior publications, so...

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I tend not to write to a plan, so yeah keeping a long running serial comprehensible and consistent could be an issue, but my thinking is to publish in ten chapter chunks to establish the story’s narrative arcs, while keeping everything from getting too convoluted.

Kiki Jinn and Emperor Ferus like this.
  23. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Is there a way to find a literary agent so I can submit some story ideas? I wrote a couple poems while at basic I'd like to get illustrated and published but no clue where to begin

24. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    You don't always need a literary agent to get stuff published, and they don't take on many new people (maybe 1% of those who enquire), so look to literary journals first and foremost if you want stuff published.

This is as good a place as any to start your research. Just beware that there are scammers out there. If anyone asks for money to publish your work, run away very fast.

https://www.authorspublish.com/category/issues/issue-three-hundred-ninety-two/

There is also information on there about literary agents and publishers. Good luck!

blackmyron likes this.
  25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    This week I got an article published, so even if I haven't found a publisher for my book, at least it felt good to see some of my writing in print. I also sat down last week to see if I could get an outline of my next book. Now I'm not writing fiction so I guess the process is a bit different, but just by making an outline I realized that I definitely have enough general information to make a whole book, now I can start doing some serious research and then of course start writing.