main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JCC Writers’ Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Apr 11, 2020.

?

Are you interested in a participating in a JCC writing community for original fiction?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I write scripts for eLearning videos..my company tries to make them interesting so it's a fun job.

Kiki Jinn, ZV-83 and blackmyron like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I write and edit scripts for explanatory videos, IVRs and websites for the state government as part of my job. "Tedious" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Kiki Jinn and solojones like this.
  3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well hey it's still a professional writing job.

Kiki Jinn and blackmyron like this.
  4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Fellow writers, it is stunning how many times in my rewriting so far I’ve come across a big, long sentence that really ought to be two smaller sentences.

Kiki Jinn and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    those don't exist

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I keep doing that too, especially my non-fiction project.

Coruscant likes this.
  7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    That’s like my favorite part.

Coruscant likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Whenever I'd write a paper for an English class in college, I'd overuse the word "society". I'm not sure why.

Kiki Jinn likes this.
  9. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    So... I got feedback from a professional editor on a sample I sent her. She was engaged with the opener, the characterisations, the dialogue and the world-building, but had issues with some of the structure (easily fixable). Her other issue was with names. This is a bit of a bone of contention with me.

Here's the issue... In the sample, you are introduced to three Irish sisters: Ciara, Caoimhe and Clíodhna. Her two issues were with the names all beginning with the same letter, and the pronunciation.

In the first case, I did this on purpose. I wanted to emulate those people who give their children names beginning with the same letter. My cousin Joan's three kids are called Colm, Caoimhe and Clionnach, for example.

In the second case, she suggested a pronunciation guide. I found this strange, because if I read say, Salman Rushdie, Rohinton Mistry, or Fyodor Dostoevsky, I'm not expecting a pronunciation guide. Heck, even Jo bloody Rowling confused everyone with the name Hermione.

What are people's thoughts on this? Yes, I get that a pronunciation guide would be useful, but I'm tired of contemporary literature holding the reader's hand personally.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    In the first case, if you meant to do that - absolutely keep it.
    A friend of mine reviewed my most recent story and pointed out that two significant characters were called "Tom" and was slightly confusing; I changed one to "Tobias", which seemed to fit the character better anyways.
    In the second case, I don't think it's necessary to have a pronunciation guide in your case.

CairnsTony likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    People giving their kids names that all start with the same letter isn’t that weird. If you want to keep that, then keep it, as for pronunciation, I don’t see a reason why you can work that into your dialogue somehow, think Hermione and Victor Krum.

CairnsTony and Emperor Ferus like this.
  12. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Thank you. I completely agree; and in fact when I put this to my writers ' group, it split them down the middle. One of them even said the name Hermione was problematic and spoiled the HP books for them. I felt like saying 'Have you any idea how many copies those books sold?'

Do some readers want their books fed to them in an easily digestible pap? I don't get it. My story isn't going to make people's brains melt, but I'm not going to dumb down Irish culture to keep certain non-Irish happy. There are far too many terrible books set in Ireland as it is.

And as it happens, the pronunciation of Caoimhe's name becomes something of a running joke in the story.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Lol. My brothers and I all have names that start with the same letter. It always got a little hammy smile from people who would meet us. Especially as kids.

And to this day, my mom mixes our names up lol.

What's a little more unusual, is that my brother named his kids two names that don't look alike written out, or even use the same letters, but sound phonetically very similar when said out loud.

ZV-83 and CairnsTony like this.
  14. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Anyone know about how to copyright scripts?

15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I wouldn't be able to tell you in the USA, but here's the link to a US government portal that should lead to the information you need.

heels1785 and blackmyron like this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey I sent you a PM Autumn, but so you all know, you can't copyright scripts. BUT you can register them with the WGA for $25. This ensures if anyone steals your idea the guild will arbitrate, even if you're not a guild member.

WGA East if you're east of the Mississippi. WGA West if you're west of it.

heels1785 , Lordban and ZV-83 like this.
  17. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    why can't you copyright scripts?

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think the Library of Congress just doesn't accept them as written texts that can be copyrighted. They're not meant to be read, they're meant to be filmed..they consider them more like a work document than a piece of literature.

19. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  20. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Well I put it through the WGA for now. Least its a start.

solojones likes this.
  21. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Agreed

blackmyron and CairnsTony like this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah I guess you can copyright them. Who knew. I've literally never heard of anyone actually doing this but you're welcome to follow their guide.

23. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Kickstarter for the next book (The Fox in Global Folk Tales) has gone live. I’ve never had this much of a lead so I’m thinking the odds are quite good of getting funding.

24. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    So I joined a couple of screenwriting groups on Facebook. Been very insightful with some things. Like a person asked if they really need a degree in screenwriting, something I've wondered myself. Even the professionals on there overall said no, it's not necessary. What it dies help with is networking, which would be a bigger thing to have. Going to workshops, festivals, these are things that would help. They did highly recommend getting a business degree though, as that is more beneficial in the long run with things. That and don't quit your day job just because you sell 1 idea.

Knowing that, and thinking what degree I should do, it's made me think of getting a business degree instead. An associates I think. But I've seriously had considerations of having an escape room business, so this would help double for it. Just got to find the right class now.

This is a book they recommended also. I just got in the mail so I'm reading it now

[​IMG]

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    So this just happened to me about an hour ago. Unfortunately, none of my writing projects are finished yet, so I had to say no, but #validation. [face_love][face_love][face_love]

Rew, Emperor Ferus, Coruscant and 2 others like this.