main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD JCF AI Policy for Original Content

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , May 16, 2023.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Please note that this policy is being implemented jointly and applies across the "creative" forums of Fanfic, RPF, and Fan Art. Thank you!

Dear Members of the JCF,

In our changing times, the use of AI (artificial intelligence) has become increasingly prevalent. Even in fields where a human hand was once thought absolutely necessary, like the arts, it's growing more and more common to replace an organic touch with an inorganic one.

Here at the JCF, we want to make the statement that we find the use of such short-cuts to create any fan content (art, fiction, role playing, etc.) and then passing that content off as your own work unacceptable. Content created by an AI, by its very definition, is no longer your own, but rather, the work of the AI. Claiming otherwise is unethical, and, from this moment forward, will no longer be permitted by the standards of these forums.

The moment you put creation in the hands of a computer, the human interface is gone. As human beings, we have an intrinsic urge to create; it's a hallmark of our species and a cornerstone of our sentience. Artists have been inspired to various forms of expression since the dawn of time, and we are equally drawn to interact with the art they produce in our turn. There's something unique about the process of creation itself; it's a special privilege to strive for and grapple with and ultimately persevere in order to bring your vision to fruition. Opting to take the easy way out by handing the creative process to an AI is to take a step down a potentially dangerous path, one that we do not wish to encourage or endorse. Instead, we want to celebrate our artists and the hard work they put into their art!

What Does This Mean For Me?

From here on out, the use of AI to create fan content (art, fiction, role playing, and so on and so forth) and passing it off as your own work is no longer allowed. We will treat infractions of this rule the same as we do plagiarism, and act accordingly as mods.

What If I Disclaim I'm Using AI From the Beginning?

We are still going to say no to any use of AI in any fan content forums (FanFiction, Roleplaying, and Fan Art) on the boards at this time.

What About Threads Already Devoted to AI?

The AI Creates Art thread will remain open (located in the JCC), but that is the sole exception to this rule.

There is power in art - the power to not only touch the hearts and minds of those whom we share it with, but to move ourselves as creators. John Lubbock put it best when he said, “Art is unquestionably one of the purest and highest elements in human happiness. It trains the mind through the eye, and the eye through the mind. As the sun colors flowers, so does art color life.” Here at the JCF, we want to allow art to color life, and welcome you to join us in that endeavor!

~ Your Mods

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  2. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sorry, Dev. I'm afraid I can't do that.

[​IMG]

4. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Hi, just checking -- is using an AI-generated image as a user avatar picture still allowed?

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yes, using AI for an avatar picture is still allowed:)

6. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Yay! :D That's good to know. The new policy sounds like a sensible precaution, but using AI dreamscapes for avatars has been fun and I'm not tired of them just yet. :p

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The irony is that we're all AI Moderators. We just have a self-loathing algorithm.

Btw, you will all be assimilated.