main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi: Aayla Secura - Heatstorm (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Just finished the issue - awesome work! Great story and probably some of the best art in a SW comic since Chris Gossett did TotJ. I loved every panel that Aayla was in. Brilliant.

Oh, and the Dark Woman's name is An'ya Kuro.

And yes, this is definatly a spoiler thread :p

EDIT: And I must say, I am really liking this storyline about Vos and Aayla (Republic - Sacrifice, Jedi - Shaak Ti, Republic - Double Blind, Jedi - Aayla Secura). Looking forward to more :D (Too bad we gotta wait until October 27 for Jedi - Dooku)

2. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Those of you who haven't had a chance to grab a copy yet, head here for a summary.

3. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    I am just in awe of John and Jan. They are, for me, the king and queen of Star Wars comics. Jedi: Aayla is, for me, both in art and story, one of the best comics I've read in all of SW. GORGEOUS art, great story, tight continuity... well done all around.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I'll just paste in my weekly comic review post for other boards :)

SPOILERS

The Crew #4: Weakest of the week. It just didn't draw me in. I'll finish this arc, but it needs to improve for me to continue.

Ultimate Spiderman #45: A good issue, as it developed Aunt May. But I haven't read this much (two issues), so it didn't have the impact it should.

Jedi: Aayla Secura: Very good issue starring the best Jedi around. Really should read Republic sometimes. Wished it could have been twice as long to include more Vos though :)

Birds of Prey #58: Very good issue. Gail tones down the humour compared to in Agent-X, and it makes the feel of THIS book better.

Daredevil #50: GREAT end to the best Daredevil arc from Bendis. Liked the guest art too.

Agent-X #13: BEST OF THE WEEK. Gail writes the best comics. This is the best Agent-X issue since #6. I love me some Gail :D

END

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not bad, but the weakest issue of the 3 issues.

Why? Two words: Aurra Sing. Not even John can make this character anything other than an unappealing, cowardly scumbag hooked on her own hyperbole. To his credit he does a great demolitian job on her, making her utterly pathetic but he can't overcome the basic one-dimensional nature of the character. (Hayden Blackman has had the same trouble with Durge.)

Still, it develops tyhings nicely, links up well with Republic and sets the scene for the dark conclusion to Jedi that Dooku will undoubtedly bring.

JB

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i enjoyed this issue -- not only just for Aayla and Aurra, but also for Tholme, and the Dark Woman -- his trick at the climax was cool. Interesting the way they juxtaposed the lives of Aurra with Aayla and Thomle and the Dark Woman. (Although in one of the Dark Woman's appearances in one panoramic shot on Devaron, when they get their apartment secure, her figure reminds me too much of Rogue from X-men.)
    While I was glad to see the Dark Woman, she didn't quite look the same.. maybe it is the short hair without the cowl.

Will Kit Fisto and Aayla be each other's undoing?

was kinda surprised by the fact that devaronian women have hair and just nubs of horns...

nice to see them wrap up the little story from the Dark Horse extra comic about the green twi'lek whose master was killed by Aurra Sing... and is now General.

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    She first appeared in the first part of The Hunt for Aurra Sing as a little kid who watched Aurra Sing kill her master. Nice little continuity link between Republic and the old SW Ongoing from the post TPM era. :)

8. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    ack.. now what was the plot of the Dark Horse Extra series that is somehow connected to this.. "Heart of Fire" was the name of the comic in DH Extra... ugh.. what was that about..

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  10. O-B-GATES

O-B-GATES Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    "her figure reminds me too much of Rogue from X-men.)
    While I was glad to see the Dark Woman, she didn't quite look the same.. maybe it is the short hair without the cowl."

Yeah, she was kind of hot to be an old lady...I mean when she was in the bacta tank.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Nice bit of continuity about the Dark Woman though ignoring the 'saber color snafu ;) Her hair was very short when she discovered Ki-Adi Mundi and is getting progressively longer the farther along in the timeline, leading up to the waist-length hair she has in Extinction. Also loved the bit about the green Twi'lek.

It's the little things that make it good. Also loved that line from Aayla basically telling Aurra to get over herself: "You are not unique. You are alone. By choice."

12. O-B-GATES

O-B-GATES Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    "Also loved that line from Aayla basically telling Aurra to get over herself: "You are not unique. You are alone. By choice.""

Yeah, their whole exchange was written very well. The duel was just as I imagined it would be, if not better.

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Anzati Sith magician Volfe Karkko."

Most interesting so there was actually at least 3 sith running around at that time, :).

Darth Tyrannus, Darth Sidious, and Volfe Karkko.

But in the case Volfe Karkko is of a seperate sith order, much like the Sorceror's of Tund(essential chronology).

"was kinda surprised by the fact that devaronian women have hair and just nubs of horns..."

Most devaronian females have no horns, and have medium shaggy hair(alien anthology), or kind of fuzzy short hair(Mace Windu). Their is also the occasional deveronian female is hairless, and have horns like the males, such as the one in YJK, but that apparently is a rare occurance. You brought up a female deveronian that has nubby horns, and hair. So obviously deveronian women come in different varieties, and aren't all clones of each other.

14. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Got it and read it.

Is it me or is there a parallel between An'ya Kuro and Tholme in the way they treated their Padawans? The "no attachment" idea. I think both of them took it too far. Strange that their Padawans turned out so differently.

I agree with you that An'ya Kuro looks a lot younger than she did in The Hunt for Aurra Sing. I always thought that Jedi females, regardless of race, age very gracefully and therefore maintain their beauty, but the image of her in the bacta tank was a lot more than I was expecting. Maybe the Force can be used in a way that mimics the "fountain of youth" fable. If so, then it's a good thing Palpatine never learned it. Hopefully Luke and his students rediscover this. It'll definitely give the ladies a chance to live more interesting lives.

I have two complaints. I can accept Aayla's cover name - a combination and alteration of the names of two Jedi: Tu'ala and Tott Doneeta. But Miles Croft? Are you drawing on the Lara Croft games and movies. You're a fan of them? As for Saba, that's name been taken, so isn't that name inaccessible until Saba Sebatyne is dead?

Second, I was so hoping for at least a three-on-one fight: An'ya Kuro, Aayla, and Xiann vs. Aurra Sing.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Maybe the Force can be used in a way that mimics the "fountain of youth" fable. If so, then it's a good thing Palpatine never learned it"

If it is a lightside power, then Palpatine wouldn't have been able to use it. As fully crossing over to the darkside blocks one from the lightside powers, see Dark Saber.

Now Dathomir Witch Charal had a darkside illusion power that made her look younger than she actually did, and Tulgah Witch Morag, had an illusion power that made her look younger, and like a feline alien. Those could have been used by Palpatine, but they might also be power consuming and tiring to use for extended amounts of time, and they are only illusions underneat they are as old and descrepit as ever.

16. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    perhaps the jedi don't need to use the force to look beautiful... they use Moisturizing Cream.

17. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I read Darksaber, so I know what you're talking about. I know about those illusion powers, though I don't know about the Tulgah witch. As for how they maintain their beauty, I for one don't care how they do it, at least as far as the lightside Jedi go. I just like the results. <lecherous grin>

18. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    "Anzati Sith magician Volfe Karkko."

Most interesting so there was actually at least 3 sith running around at that time, .

Darth Tyrannus, Darth Sidious, and Volfe Karkko.

But in the case Volfe Karkko is of a seperate sith order, much like the Sorceror's of Tund(essential chronology).

Or the people just made a mistake and he's really just a normal Dark Jedi. ;)

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Or the people just made a mistake and he's really just a normal Dark Jedi."

Not likely a mistake, and more likely intended exactly what they said. Much like how they made Lumiya another sith while Vader and Palpatine were around, vader had the intention of using her to destroy Palpatine. Of course the Sith cultists in Jedi Quest/Jedi Apprentice, the brothers of the Sith(Gorc and Pic), the contingent of Sith Knights of the empire, the sith practices of the sorceror of tund, the Sith pratices of Irek Ismaren, the sith tattoos and practices of Jerec, etc.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Anzati was just a Sith cultist and I highly doubt that he had something to do with Darth Bane's Sith Order. Probably he had nothing to do with the Rule of Two. :)

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yep, he'd have been a seperate order of sith, not part of Bane's order. Lumiya was not part of Bane's Order(that was only Vader and Palpatine), but she was a sith as well but seperate from Bane's order, she took over the sith "Rule of Two" upon Vader and Palpatine's death, course Palpatine was still around.

22. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yes! I've loved Duursema and Ostrander's work and this issue looks awesome!

Now it will be a month or so before it will be in a book store near me...

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Karkko was just a Dark Jedi, not a Sith.

It seems the Clone Wars TPBs are around three months apart. What are the individual stories called that will be collected in the second, third and fourth TPBs?

24. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    >>I have two complaints. I can accept Aayla's cover name - a combination and alteration of the names of two Jedi: Tu'ala and Tott Doneeta. But Miles Croft? Are you drawing on the Lara Croft games and movies. You're a fan of them? As for Saba, that's name been taken, so isn't that name inaccessible until Saba Sebatyne is dead? <<

Actually, the Miles Croft name is salute to MYCROFT as in MYCROFT HOLMES who is Sherlock Holmes smarter older brother (not making it up; it's in the Holmes' stories) and was selected because of Tholme's being like Sherlock. Tholme's own name is a clue there: T-HOLME(S). So we're just riffing on an in-joke already made. The connection to Laura Croft never occured to me since I don't play video games much. Also, why would SABA be off limits? There can only be ONE person in the galaxy named Saba at a time?

>>Second, I was so hoping for at least a three-on-one fight: An'ya Kuro, Aayla, and Xiann vs. Aurra Sing.<<

Might be good if the story was SW AURRA. But AAYLA is the center of the story and having that much help a) diminishes her accomplishment and b) in terms of dramactic structure, makes things VERY muddy. In a story such as this, you look for clarity and it must come down to the protagonist and the antagonist. The symmetry between Aayla and Aurra -- that which makes them both alike and unlike -- would be spoiled by adding more characters to the fight. IMO, not good storytelling and the story is what is important.

Obi-John

25. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    >>"Anzati Sith magician Volfe Karkko." <<

Karko is only a Dark Jedi. That's all we ever said about him in the story. We never called him a Sith. Never our intention. If anyone else calls him that, they've got it wrong. Karkko is a Dark Jedi. Period.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.