main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Jedi Adept: Greater Than the Sum of Their Parts *** Complete *** THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kidan, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Title: Jedi Adept: Greater Than the Sum of Their Parts
    Author: Kidan
    Timeframe: LotF
    Characters: Tahiri, OC
    Keywords: Tahiri, training, Jedi, A/T
    Summary: Tahiri trains an apprentice.
    Notes: A plot bunny which popped up when I was re-reading Conquest a while back.

PM List: G__Anakin; star_writer24; Alishu06; rebel_cheese; Healer_Leona; Lola64; Flowerlady; Jade_eyes; CassaSoloDaughterOfA; Maggy; voxynking; TelannaTani;

[image=http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n278/kidananubix/greater-air.jpg]

[b]Greater Than the Sum of Their Parts[/b]

[hr]

[i]Dramatis Personae[/i]
    [ul][li]Tahiri Veila ? Jedi Knight (female human)[/li]
    [li]Noelani Darklighter ? Jedi Apprentice (female human)[/li]
    [li]Luke Skywalker ? Jedi Grand Master (male human)[/li]
    [li]Mara Jade Skywalker ? Jedi Master (female human)[/li]
    [li]Han Solo ? Captain [i]Millennium Falcon[/i] (male human)[/li]
    [li]Leia Organa Solo ? Jedi Knight (female human)[/li]
    [li]Jacen Solo ? Sith Lord (male human)[/li]
    [li]Lumiya ? Sith Lady (female human)[/li]
    [li]Jaina Solo ? Jedi Knight (female human)[/li]
    [li]Ulya Tu ? Commander, [i]The Festering Wound [/i](female Yuuzhan Vong)[/li][/ul]

[hr]

[blockquote] [i]"To see something new born in you and Tahiri. And to give you whatever small help I am able to give to see that birth arrive."[/i]
    -- Jedi Master Ikrit to Anakin Solo ([i]Conquest[/i])[/blockquote]

[b]Prologue[/b]

Tahiri lets out a scream of pain. It is a writhing agony that shoots out from her pelvis wrapping around her body. Every nerve from her head to her toes burns with it.

Sweat covers her body, causing the thin hospital gown to cling to her. Her legs ache from being in the stirrups for hours on end, her body twisted, granting access to her most private parts to the medical droids as they float and cluck to themselves.

The wave of pain recedes, and Tahiri leans back.

The droid hovering between her legs speaks soothing words, words in a language which Tahiri doesn?t understand.

The wave of pain comes again, slashing across her. The intense pressure building, demanding she push.

She grabs hold of the cushioned metal bars beside her bed, handgrips for just this purpose, squeezing them as pain pushes her higher than she could ever conceive of going.

She lets out another growl of pain, as the bar to her right squeals with the sound of overstressed metal.

Again, the pain slides away, granting her a brief respite. She leans back again, still panting. One of the droids places ice chips on her tongue.

Tahiri closes her eyes as she considers the fact that the traditional spot for the father of her child is being taken by a droid.
    [i]
    Anakin, why did you have to die?[/i]

It is an old pain, one she has been suffering with for the entire pregnancy. The Tusken in her despairs, her life-mate is gone ? never to hold her child, never to hold her.

The Yuuzhan Vong in her cries out in her anger at the gods for taking away her lover.

Then the pain once more washes over her, driving all thoughts away.

?Itlack? The droid?s command is harsh and demanding.

And Tahiri can only hope it means ?push.?

For that is what she does. As she pushes, the pressure builds, reaching a crescendo as her body stretches beyond what the fifteen year old Jedi would ever believed possible.

The pain crests for a moment, and then washes in again, not giving her a respite.

Her body demands that she push again, and she does.

Finally the pressure passes, her body shakes at the exertion, and she lets out a small gasp.

A few moments later, she hears the tiny wailing cry of her newborn. She collapses back against the bed, her sweat-slicked hair sticking to her forehead.

The droid gently lays the babe in Tahiri?s arm, and pulls down her gown, directing Tahiri through gestures on how she should nurse.

Tahiri watches as the baby begins to suckle. In the background the droid floats away, shifting the bed slightly to lower Tahiri?s legs as it >

2. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    :eek: Awesome!:)

I must get PM's if there is more!!!! Please![face_batting] :)

3. LastHope06

LastHope06 Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2006
    :eek: Wow! You really know how to get someone's attention, don't you! That was cool, even though the ending was strange. Hopefully the next post will explain more,
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=AniriRevan]AniriRevan[/link]

4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    What can I say?!

My first reaction through the "pushing" section of this scene was one long :eek:

Then, when Tahiri was holding her daughter in her arms, the combination of joy and wisdom provoked a definite, poignant [face_worried] :_| [:D]

And at the end, when she wakes up alone... I don't know whether to :mad: or o_O, or simply [face_plain]

It's an awesome roller-coaster on just this first ride already. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take it from here...

I'll reply in more depth later... but for now, I guess, the main thing I have to say is :D!!!

- The Imperial Ewok

5. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Can't wait to see where this goes.
    Very interesting begining.
    Pm me please!

6. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    Great start!!!! Keep em coming! (pm) ;)

7. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Whoa . . . what just happened? [face_thinking]

One moment Tahiri's holding her daughter and the next she wakes up alone . . . kidnapping, anyone?

If that's what happened Tahiri better go lightsaber someone! :mad:

PM list? :D

P.S. Is this some sort of 'missing scene' in the NJO happening, here? [face_thinking]

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Community Squirrel Whisperer star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You portrayed childbirth most excellent. I grimaced with her pain.

Along with her pain was exquiste sadness over losing Anakin. :( :(

SO three days later she seems to have not only lost her baby girl, but her memory as well?

Oooh, far to intriguing not to follow along. Might I ask for PM updates?

9. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    Is Tahiri's daughter on the list somewhere? :confused:

Noelani. Wasn't that the name of Tahiri's daugter in Heaven's Tears.[face_dancing] It's a pretty name!

Jacen's a Sith Lord[face_mischief]

Tahiri and Leia are Jedi that are main characters. This is already better than Legacy of the Force :)

Mara and Jaina hopefully get more than one or so roles.:) Unlike Legacy[face_frustrated]

Luke... he isn't dead yet:mad: Get him Jacen![face_skull]

10. AniriRevan

AniriRevan Jedi Master star 1

May 21, 2006
    Anakin_G: Luke... he isn't dead yet :mad: Get him Jacen! [face_skull]

:eek: Don't say that about my Luky-poo:_| :mad:

11. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    Sorry AniriRaven it's just that I don't like Luke in LOTF. He's been a jerk since Swarm War.

12. AniriRevan

AniriRevan Jedi Master star 1

May 21, 2006
    Don't worry about it!:p Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. :DIt's just that Luke was/is the main reason I like Star Wars[face_love]
    Sorry, Kidan, for having this discussion here:D

13. Handmaiden_Rabe

Handmaiden_Rabe Jedi Master star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    :eek: More! I demand more! That's one heck of a prologue...

14. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Yowch! I remember you said somewhere that there are little Kidanettes running about. Apparently you remember the subtle joys of childbirth quite well. ]-}

Tahiri is absolutely built of steel to stay intact through what she's been through. The loss of Anakin, as husband, friend, and now father to her daughter must be terrible, yet she has the strength to keep on going.

I think someone has been messing with her mind just a bit there on the beach. No mother can just up and forget she had a baby. Which begs the question, where is she? Hmm.[face_thinking]

15. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi VIP star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    "To see something new born in you and Tahiri. And to give you whatever small help I am able to give to see that birth arrive."
    -- Jedi Master Ikrit to Anakin Solo (Conquest)

[face_mischief]

Very nice, Kidan :D Beautifully done :)

Loved the descriptions of Tahiri's labor and you have an interesting setup here [face_thinking] Did other people know Tahiri was pregnant? Can't wait to find out where you're going with this :D

16. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Three days later Tahiri awakens on a Mon Calamari beach, her body sore and tender, every muscle she has aching gently. She uncurls herself from the tight ball that her body had contorted itself into, brushing the sand from her face and hair.

She looks around, trying to find something, not quite able to.

Not quite sure what she was looking for.

She absently rubs her stomach, as emptiness and loss fills her soul.

Isn't this part of that fic [hl=black]where Luke takes the baby and then wipes her mind? If it is I'm madder now at Luke than the first time I read about it.[/hl]

I can't imagine someone having a baby and then feeling something's missing for so long. Eventually she'll have to start to remember. [hl=black]I only hope that Leia and Luke are far away when that happens. [/hl]

Great start.=D= And I too request PM's if you're sending them out.

17. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Tahiri's a little young to have a kid, but very interesting fic. I guess she gave teh child up? Is this LOTF era?

18. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    G__Anakin
    :eek: Awesome!:)
    Thanks!

I must get PM's if there is more!!!! Please![face_batting] :)
    Yes, there is more, and yes you'll get PM's...

LastHope06/AniriRevan
    :eek: Wow! You really know how to get someone's attention, don't you! That was cool, even though the ending was strange. Hopefully the next post will explain more,
    I hope so at least :D Everything is explained fully...

Thrawn McEwok
    What can I say?!
    [face_mischief]i think that depends on the size of yer vocabulary...

My first reaction through the "pushing" section of this scene was one long :eek:
    [face_laugh]

Then, when Tahiri was holding her daughter in her arms, the combination of joy and wisdom provoked a definite, poignant [face_worried] :_| [:D]
    glad you liked!

And at the end, when she wakes up alone... I don't know whether to :mad: or o_O, or simply [face_plain]
    :Dthat was what I was hoping for!

It's an awesome roller-coaster on just this first ride already. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take it from here...
    Glad you're enjoying it!

I'll reply in more depth later... but for now, I guess, the main thing I have to say is :D!!!
    I'll be waiting, glad you enjoyed it!

star_writer24
    Can't wait to see where this goes.
    hope you enjoy it!

Very interesting begining.
    Thanks!!

Pm me please!
    with pleasure!

Alishu06
    Great start!!!! Keep em coming! (pm) ;)
    Thanks! Will do!

rebel_cheese
    Whoa . . . what just happened? [face_thinking]
    [face_mischief]a story was started!

One moment Tahiri's holding her daughter and the next she wakes up alone . . . kidnapping, anyone?
    [face_whistling] we'll see...contrary to some other stories I have, the readers are fully aware of things from the beginning, even if other characters don't know...

If that's what happened Tahiri better go lightsaber someone! :mad:
    [face_laugh]we'll see...

PM list? :D
    with pleasure!

P.S. Is this some sort of 'missing scene' in the NJO happening, here? [face_thinking]
    The prologue is a 'missing scene' from the NJO...the rest of the story happens in LotF...

Healer_Leona
    You portrayed childbirth most excellent. I grimaced with her pain.
    :Dglad you think so...

Along with her pain was exquiste sadness over losing Anakin. :( :(
    i tried...

SO three days later she seems to have not only lost her baby girl, but her memory as well?
    it appears that way, no?

Oooh, far to intriguing not to follow along. Might I ask for PM updates?
    Glad you enjoying it....and it'll be my pleasure to do PM's

G__Anakin
    Is Tahiri's daughter on the list somewhere? :confused:
    [face_whistling]

Noelani. Wasn't that the name of Tahiri's daugter in Heaven's Tears.[face_dancing] It's a pretty name!
    yes it was..and yes it is a pretty name, which is why I reuse it so often...

Jacen's a Sith Lord[face_mischief]
    [face_laugh]it's canon...

Tahiri and Leia are Jedi that are main characters. This is already better than Legacy of the Force :)
    well we see Leia for a bit of time...but her role didn't come out quite as large as I expected...

Mara and Jaina hopefully get more than one o

19. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Oh Kidan...that was so wonderfully written ...WOW...:eek:

I feel so sorry for Tahiri...:_|

That was a great tie-in to how she showed up in the Force Heretic...I'm anxious to see where this goes...=D=

PM please? [face_praying]

FL @};-

20. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    I'd never thought of that. Now Tahiri acting like a maniac in heritic makes sense

21. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Flowerlady
    Oh Kidan...that was so wonderfully written ...WOW...:eek:
    Thanks!!!

I feel so sorry for Tahiri...:_|
    :Dyou're supposed to!

That was a great tie-in to how she showed up in the Force Heretic...I'm anxious to see where this goes...=D=
    [face_mischief]yes it does, doesn't it...

PM please? [face_praying]
    with pleasure!!

G__Anakin
    I'd never thought of that. Now Tahiri acting like a maniac in heritic makes sense
    [face_laugh]This is one of my pet theories about what's wrong with Tahiri in Force Heretic...

22. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Chapter One

Luke Skywalker watches the young Jedi hopefuls as they run around the training fields, the sounds of their feet pounding against the hard packed dirt of the track reaching up to the balcony where he stands and gazes out at the groups of students.

As he watches, he has a feeling of foreboding, as if something is approaching which threatens to consume the Jedi and the galaxy.

It is the Dark Man from his dreams.

A flicker of a frown crosses his face, and he shoves those concerns away. Of more immediate importance is the crisis with the Corellians, and how they?ve managed to almost get Centerpoint activated.

What Ben told him he found there.

An android that believed itself to be Anakin Solo.

An android that should not possibly exist, as all medical records of Anakin Solo were lost during the fall of Coruscant.

The soft chime of the door garners his attention, and he turns and walks back into his office even as the door opens.

Three Jedi Knights walk in, and give him short abbreviated bows. He smiles, and gestures towards a couch. ?Please sit down.?

The three glance nervously between themselves and Luke has to chuckle. ?Don?t worry. It?s nothing bad. I just think it?s time to once more try to pair off the more advanced students to Jedi Knights for training. It?s working well with Jacen and Ben and I would hope you three would be willing to try as well.

The three share a look, and Knight Thann Mithric stands up. ?I?d be quite willing to do this Master.?

Luke grins, and picks up a data chit and looks quickly at the label, making sure it has the correct name written on it and then passes it to him. ?Look through these files, and choose one of the students listed there. Once you?ve chosen, ask that student if they would like to become your apprentice, if they agree, return with them to me.?

Thann takes the chit and leaves the room. Next to stand is Jaina Solo, as she tugs against her long brown hair she speaks almost hesitatingly, ?I?m going to have to pass right now Uncle Luke. I don?t think I?m ready for an apprentice just yet.?

Luke looks at her for a moment, and then nods his head. ?If that is your wish Jaina, then I will respect it.? As Jaina leaves the office, he looks towards the final Jedi he has brought in for this, noticing how the young blonde girl is staring at her hands, and gnawing on her bottom lip. ?How about you Tahiri? Are you willing to train an apprentice??

?Yes Master, I think I am. That is if you trust me enough.?

She looks up at him, her green eyes large, and filled with hope and longing. An odd feeling twitches in his stomach, guilt of an old memory, long suppressed, as he reaches down and plucks the second of three data chits from the stack and without looking at it, holds it out to her.

?I think you?ll do just fine Tahiri.?

She smiles hesitantly, and grasps the data chit, pulling it to her quickly. She stands up, looking down at the small device, and takes a step forward, tossing her arms around the Jedi Master.

?Thank you Master Skywalker. Thank you for trusting me.?

Luke awkwardly returns the hug, gently patting her back, as she drops back down to the flat of her feet.

?Choose your apprentice, and then bring whoever you?ve chosen here, and I?ll formalize it.?

She beams at him. ?Thank you!?

And then she walks out of the room, a bounce to her step that Luke hasn?t seen since before the Killik fiasco. Since before Mrykr. Luke smiles slightly, and then returns to his work, never glancing at the remaining data chit that rests on his desk.

Never seeing the label with Mara?s neat, precise handwriting spelling out Tahiri?s name.

----------------------------------------------------------

Tahiri walks through the halls, holding the small data chit in her hands. She flips it over, seeing a neat precise script on the label, and reads Jaina?s name there. For a second she looks towards Luke?s office, wondering if she should tell him that she received the wrong data card. Then with a shrug, she turns away and continues do

23. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Oh my God. Tahiri's own daughter is standing in front of her and neither know it. :_|

And since it was the Darklighters who adopted her it makes me wonder whether anyone can be trusted here. The Darklighters have always been one of the more honorable families . . . [face_thinking]

And then Tahiri winds up with the wrong data card . . . and Mara's written Tahiri up on one of the data chits. Makes me wonder . . .

So while you give us a lot of information we've already got a major mystery on our hands. Can't wait to read more of it. :)

24. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Kidan: [face_mischief] i think that depends on the size of yer vocabulary...

And how many smileys I'm prepared to use... :p

"[face_laugh]"

:p

glad you liked!

*nods in agreement* Great 'fic...

:D that was what I was hoping for!

Yay!! I understood!! [face_dancing]

:p

Glad you're enjoying it!

:cool:

I'll be waiting, glad you enjoyed it!

And... gah. I've not re-replied yet, have I! :oops: [face_blush]

But in a way, that's okay, because there's stuff I want to talk about that really needed to wait for this chapter to appear first...

[face_whistling] [face_mischief] :D

Luke Skywalker watches the young Jedi hopefuls as they run around the training fields, the sounds of their feet pounding against the hard packed dirt of the track reaching up to the balcony where he stands and gazes out at the groups of students.

What a lovely "establishing shot" of sound and sight! :D

It's interesting the way Luke's thoughts turn; first, his fears the "approach" of the neo-Vader from his dreams, then his thoughts turn to the Ani-bot, and then he's interrupted by the arrival (echoing "approach"?) of Thann, Jaina, and Tahiri...

There are... if not firm sequences or contrasts, then certainly interesting reflections there, from the neo-Vader to the Ani-bot, and from one 'saber-carrying "approach" to another...

She looks up at him, her green eyes large, and filled with hope and longing. An odd feeling twitches in his stomach, guilt of an old memory, long suppressed, as he reaches down and plucks the second of three data chits from the stack and without looking at it, holds it out to her.

Now this is just superb writing. :D Not only is the phrasing of that middle bit delightful - "an old memory, long suppressed", drawing connections between what he did to Tahiri and what that did to him - but we also see Luke's decisiveness, the way he "plucks", which is balanced against Tahiri's expression at the start of the paragraph...

And he can be innocent, and she can be decisive, too. Just wonderful characterization... :D

And of course, because of the way that the beat of the scene grew complex here, his decisiveness was completely mistimed; for whatever reason - guilt, absent-mindedness, the Force - he gave her Jaina's list of potential apprentices...

:D

And then she walks out of the room, a bounce to her step that Luke hasn?t seen since before the Killik fiasco. Since before Mrykr. Luke smiles slightly, and then returns to his work, never glancing at the remaining data chit that rests on his desk.

Never seeing the label with Mara?s neat, precise handwriting spelling out Tahiri?s name.

Or, alternatively, his wife could have planned this; Mara put those chips in that order, and Mara would know that Jaina would refuse - perhaps sprinkle a little suggestive "Force dust" on them to make sure Farmboy gave the second one to Tahiri...

[face_whistling] :D

But in the end, this is a story about possibility; precise answers don't matter - and are in any case merely overabstractions of more complex things; it's the reality produced that's what's important.

She scans the names, looking for one which calls to her.

Y?lr Hic?kla. Pluor Sytho, Bistam, Noelani Darklighter.

She pauses, her heart jumping for a moment, even as she wonders about that name. The Darklighters are famous on her homeworld of Tatooine, rich water magnates. That would explain why they might have named a daughter after a Tusken term, but there is something about the name which calls to her.

*musical note*

It's like a resonance, right? A harmony between the songs that are "Tahiri" and "Noelani"? :D

She grabs the icon, pulling it towards her, her heart hammering away in her chest, as the holograms flicker and resolves into the file. She bites on her lower lip, as she stares at the image of the thirteen year old girl, something in her soul shifting as she watches the face.

T

25. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    That was great :)

Love the characters already:)

Tahiri:) [face_love] !!! This is definitly one of the better characterzations of Tahriri I've seen in a while!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.