main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Jedi Belts.

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazkid8

Kazkid8 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    could people list wear they got their stuff? expecialy the pouches and the THICK belt! PLEASE! That is nearly the last thing I need fer my costume...

2. AnakinMoonwalker

AnakinMoonwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    I also need those parts to finish my costume, especially the pouches, how do you make the pouches?

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Well we can't list anything here, against forum policy.

But pouches are easy to make if you can sew. The belt well there are many dealers, some even post on ebay.

Check out the ASAP boards too :)

4. SithLordBryJaTomarr

SithLordBryJaTomarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    For mine, I kinda cheated. Or rather made it up as I went along. I used a really cool green for my big cloak and when it came time to add the belt, I looked at Lowe's and other hardware places. I finally found a tool belt that had, oddly enuff,a padded back part the same color green as my cloak and had a nice thick, brown leather belt around it as well as some nifty chrome D-rings and rivets. It's held together by two posts on the buckle as opposed to one. It adds a unique look to the costume, I think. The only thing to add now is pouches and I would like to stay "traditional" with those, but have seen some around that would work.

5. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    hey guys , i found a easy way to make a jedi , or sith belt . i bought a weight lifting belt at a sporting goods store and stained it . i still need to add the detail to it , but it being a black sith belt , it still looks cool . the one i got was only $22 .

6. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    I am NOT a leatherworker but I found it quite easy to make my own belt. I'm about to re-do it when the new rivets arrive from Tandy Leather. So I will post a photo tutorial on my photo host. Hope to have it done in the next week as the rivets should be here soon. And I want the new belt to wear at Orycon (Portland, OR)

Watch this space:

Belt Tutorial

I've already started a photo tutorial like the one I did for the Jocasta Nu costume.

7. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    The photo Belt Tutorial is done. See post just above for link.

8. Lin-Si-Tar Konnair

Lin-Si-Tar Konnair Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2000
    Then again, if you want me to make your belt for you out of Synthleather and in your design, it is also up to you.... I respond when people e-mail me at lin_si_tar@hotmail.com , and I´m usually quite fast in making these things, belts, pouches, full Jedi Suits, whatever:)

9. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I made a good belt I just need to pouches. Seems in order to buy them you have to be willing to spend a lot.

10. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    You can get a set of great leather pouches for only $70.00. I have a set and I can confirm that they are impressive and think the person who makes them deserves more. A more accurate set of resin pouches can be bought for $130.00.

Allot of folks seem to equate size with cost. "$70?! But they're so small?!" When you see them in person you will realize the fact that they are so small is why they are $70.00. They have allot of detail and are very accurate and have allot of whethering as well. Trying to do all that on something as small as a pouch is not easy and I can't imagine how many times the maker of these pouches redid them in order to finally get them right.

As a general rule in costuming the smaller something is, the harder it is to make.

11. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    For some people, $70 is a lot to spend on pouches, no matter what the quality.

12. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Then save your money until you can afford them. This isn't Master Replicas, there not going to disappear in 3 weeks. Just put aside a little money here and there and when you have $70.00 (plus $7.00 shipping and handling) and then get them. Simple financial plannning.

That's how folks afford those expensive Vader and Chewie costumes. It isn't because they are rich, they just save their money until they can get the good stuff.

Either that or you can make them yourself.

13. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    That is why I have a pouchless Jedi belt at this time. :)

The good news is I finally got a covertec clip for my saber and I have food pellets on order.

of course when I get my pilot suit done I am not sure how much I will wear the Jedi costume.

14. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Simple financial plannning.

Simple financial planning for some people is to put their money towards more important things, like bills and other RL expenses, instead of Jedi pouches. I don't like how you insist it's such an easy task and no one has an excuse for not spending $70+ in this fashion (I'm not saying the product isn't worth the $70, just that for some people that is a really superficial way to spend money). The only reason I was able to afford mine is because at the time I was working 65+ hours a week. Fast forward to now and that is not money I would be spending.

Either that or you can make them yourself.

Instead of insisting that a person can afford $70 on Jedi pouches, you should be encouraging them to make their own.

15. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    "Simple financial planning for some people is to put their money towards more important things, like bills and other RL expenses, instead of Jedi pouches."

What does this have to do with my post exactly? Where did I say that you should buy pouches instead of paying your bills? If you give my post a second read, you will see that I said no such thing.

I have NEVER asserted nor implied that anyone should put Jedi costuming above their real world financial obligations. Half the reason my Chewie costume has taken so long is because my bills, tuition, and rent all come first.

"I don't like how you insist it's such an easy task and no one has an excuse for not spending $70+ in this fashion"

I didn't say it was easy. I didn't say that you have no excuse for not spending $70.00. I merely said if you really want these pouches, then here is ONE WAY to get the money that works for allot of people. People here suggest techniques for making things all the time. There are even allot of good tips around here on how to save money or do costumes on a budget. Is it wrong to suggest ways how to afford something that is expensive?

"I'm not saying the product isn't worth the $70, just that for some people that is a really superficial way to spend money."

Then don't spend money you don't have. A Jedi costume is a pretty low financial priority. Bills, credit card debts, and so on should come first.

"Instead of insisting that a person can afford $70 on Jedi pouches, you should be encouraging them to make their own."

I'm not insisting that anyone should buy their pouches. I've never tried to tell people how they should spend their money or what their financial priorities should be. I have never tried to make someone feel bad or been mean to someone for choosing a cheaper method with ONE exception. I once got carried away with a kid who decided to get a Rubies Anakin. When I realized that I was wrong, I apologized publicly and privately to this person.

What I am trying to do is defend this person's products and prevent another "expensive product XYZ is crap!" thread. I'm trying to provide some insight into what goes into making these things and why they cost what they do. This is what my first post was all about.

I've been on this board quite a while and I've seen the quality of expensive products get bashed and see their creators accused of ripping off Star Wars fans, mostly by folks who have no basis to make such claims, and it usually started with an innocent "I can't swing $70 for pouches" post.

My posts did two things:

1) Provided an insight into what goes into the creation of these pouches and explain why, in my opinion, $70.00 is a fair price.
    2) To suggest how one MIGHT acquire the funds to get these pouches.

I am more than happy to defend my position, explain my thoughts, and even apologize if I've offended someone. But I'm not going to own up to things I never said and I have a real problem when people put words in my mouth and twist what I said into strawmen that they can easily knock down, rather than addressing what I actually wrote.

16. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    On the Anakin belt, what are the little metal pieces that hold the "second" belt in place? Where can I get them?

17. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    AnakinWisler: go to my 11/9 post and view the photo tutorial. They are called Sam Browne rivets and can be obtained from Tandy Leather.

18. G-4P0

G-4P0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2000
    I keep forgetting to post pics of the belts I made this Halloween.

Here is the one I made for my 3 year old daughter from scratch.

Baby Jedi Belt 1

Baby Jedi Belt 2

19. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    ^
    [image=http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Sebulba/fan-art/goodjob.jpg]

20. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    My gosh that wouldn't even fit on my wrist. :)

Good work. :)

21. G-4P0

G-4P0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2000
    Thanks for the compliments. I've got pics of mine too - but I think I'll just start a new thread with all of them because I don't want to hijack this one.

In all, I made 2 belts, customized a pair of boots, and built custom hardware saber for my daughter with an 18" pink EL blade.

So stay tuned!

22. Headhunter0183

Headhunter0183 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2002
    Wow I just got some realy cool pouches on ebay. I didnt find them under Jedi pouches though. I searched for leather ammo poushes.
    There are alot of them on there.
    Just search for ammo pouches or leather ammo pouches. I cant wait for mine to arrive in the mail!
    My wife will probably wrap them and put them under the tree! :eek:

23. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    hi; jedi belts are quite easy to make from stock material from any leather goods store. mine is in long beach, ca. they make nice leather belt blanks in both black and brown. you can then cut them to fit. my leather shop also made the keepers for the small strap in front and the larger one for the big belt in back. the studs that hold the center strap in can be found in both silver and gold and they screw in from the back. you need rivets to attach the belt ends at the back and snaps to hold the whole thing together which is covered by the large keeper. the buckle is up to you. i ordered mine. any questions PM me.

24. SithLordBryJaTomarr

SithLordBryJaTomarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Much like Headhunter0183 up there, I turned to the mighty eBay to look for pouches as well. Last week I got my WWI German leather ammo pouches in the mail and I love 'em. They are a bit smaller than I'd hoped for, but certain they'll do fine.

So not every piece of a good costume has to be 100% custom made as I originally thought. Something to think about...

25. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Yup, it's perfectly fine not to have everything custom made. Just as it's also perfectly fine to spend less than $70 on your pouches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.