main
side
curve
  1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels (or any show vs any other show) bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.
  2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

The Mandalorian Jedi in the Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by The Chalk Jedi, Nov 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    I personally think Star Wars is improved when it inches close to The Lord of the Rings. There is nothing wrong with Star Wars getting more nuanced or mature, from time to time.

But Luke in TLJ is different than Frodo at the end of ROTK in one crucial way. Though they are both wounded by their experiences, ultimately cannot enjoy their post-heroic lives, and depart the world as we know it, Frodo goes off to the Undying Lands after the great evil has been defeated, not before. Luke does so...while a great evil is still rising, re-establishing control over the galaxy. I think that's at the heart of many fans' problem with Luke's story as told in TLJ. He gave up while the Dark Lord was still out there.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  2. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    Nailed it. To expand further, I'm not a LOTR expert, but are we ever told anything about Frodo's life in the Undying Lands? I know his choice to go there was an aspect of 'you can't go home again', but Frodo did go there with friends. So, while he may have been forever haunted to some degree by his ordeal, he had the opportunity to be with his dear friends and reflect on his success. After the end of TFA I was concerned about why Luke had isolated himself like that, but my thought was that he was in communion with The Force, and that whatever he' was doing might be something like the Gandalf Grey to White experience that would give Luke the strength to face the current challenge. ...but Luke had severed his connection to The Force and sat in isolation for 5 years, doing absolutely nothing. Just waiting to die in failure and misery.

mtt02263 likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    Frodo, in the books, simply can't enjoy his life in the Shire after returning from his adventure. His wound from the Morgul blade, the memory of the burden as Ringbearer, his knowledge that he ultimately succumbed to it at the cracks of Mount Doom, etc, all served to give him a lonely and wounded post-heroic existence. His companions (Sam, Pippin and Merry) are all treated as heroes at home, while Frodo is largely ignored and forgotten. Essentially, the unknown soldier who saved the world. Then, after some time, he departs for the Undying Lands, which is really simply a metaphor for him dying.

But again, all of that happened after...he fulfilled his quest to destroy the Ring of Power, and bring down Sauron...

Now you can say that Luke already fulfilled his life quest by helping to destroy Palpatine, etc, and so he's entitled to move into his post-heroic phase, as Frodo did. However, the ST, by bringing back an identical threat in the form of Kylo and the ST during Luke's middle age, essentially robbed Luke of the ability to legitimately do that without being harshly judged as quitting an existential fight for survival. That's at the heart of fan issues with it.

mtt02263 and Elle-Wan like this.