main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Jedi: Their Roles and Philosophies in Star Wars TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by The Chalk Jedi, Nov 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm prepared to be wrong, but I think it's absolutely going to be Luke. It's just what they've set up. Cal? Quinlan Vos? I really don't think so. These characters' appearance wouldn't bring any drama.

They could go all out and potentially bring in Luke and Leia. People aren't talking a lot about the New Republic storyline this season, but that, plus the emphasis on "the empire's back!" seems to pave the way for something like that.

I guess they could introduce one of these Jedi (which would essentially be a new character to most) and develop them as a new recurring character. But Luke (and maybe Leia) is just the natural payoff to what they've set up.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would like it but I just don’t know if you want to right the future games into a corner. Fallen order is a cash cow right now literally being the second best selling video game in America this year

Glitterstimm likes this.
  3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    So Luke shows up to save the day, and then says, sorry Yoda 2.0, I need to go find more Jedi texts. It sounds very anticlimactic and un believable, and very repetitive to Ahsoka.

If a Jedi shows up, aren't they likely to want to train Grogu?

As for Ezra, isn't he trapped with Thrawn at this point?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ezra is definitely out of the picture. My money is on Luke or someone new. Wild card theory of Quinlan Vos

5. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    It will be Kyle Katarn; the time line and now the Dark Troopers cement that.

However, they need to address the Luke issue. Either he needs to appear or it needs to be explained why he does not; this takes place 6 years after ROTJ.

Also, now that these characters are in live action, it makes no sense why Ashoka would have no interaction with Luke; they need to explain why Ashoka never met up with Luke or Obi Wan during the events of the OT or helped them against the Empire, especially Vader and Sidious.

6. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Luke AND Kyle. :_| Back to back in an action-scene. :cool:

Sitara likes this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    If they follow the formula and Grogu is rescued they are not going to end on two highs so don't expect to see Luke, Leia or any other lightside character. After every resounding victory comes a portent of impending doom.

Likewise if the rescue ends in disaster with all our heroes in a bad place then expect a ray of hope to answer Grogu's call.

8. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Sebastian Stan as Luke please!

Shamear likes this.
  9. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Never going to happen. She has spoken.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  10. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Who's "she" ...?

11. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Kathleen Kennedy - No major character will be recast during their existing onscreen timeline. So Luke, between ANH and his death in TLJ is off limits. Han got recast in Solo because it was several years before ANH (Ford's first appearance).

12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think recasting Luke may be the easest process here. especially on time and budget. i mean how many shows can you do in this era and never have Luke appear once. i find it hard to believe. there will always be this desire to bring in Luke. and i think they probably will.

If they do recast though. i think we will hear a rumour, possibly a Lucasfilm leak just to get people talking about it and prepared for when it happens. because if a recast luke shows up, everyone is just gonna be like... whose that? but if people are abit more aware of a possible casting then when he shows up most will have some idea who he is.

As for what Kathleen Kennedy... i have always felt she had very little say in general. but there ya go.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Shamear and Master Cado Afu like this.
  13. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, just have them hint to Luke to end the season. Then the Sebastian Stan rumor watch can begin.

I imagine that "deal" can be altered. :cool:

Obviously one for me. I feel that works best as a show of it's own though. And with The Mandalorian they've added in Boba Fett now, so they can continue the series with Boba Fett, and Din and Bo-Katan, and the Darksaber. And send Grogu to a Jedi show. They probably won't do that though.

And I know quite a few people believe that The Mandalorian only works with the child, and if you take him out then the show no longer works. I say no, just do the show about something else; like what I mentioned above.

Option four is probably what they're going to do. Why they would continue to bring in Jedi and not just do Jedi full stop would be a little weird to me, but I can see them doing that.

As for Jedi traveling with them, yeah, I got a joke for that one.

Overall, they have set themselves up, haven't them. Jon Favreau did come through big with Boba Fett fans, will he do the same for those of us who would like to see Luke or someone else? Maybe? I'm sure they're aware that expectation or desire is out there (because they literally set it up), so I imagine they have some kind of plan.

14. The Jedi is Kyle Katarn or Luke Skywalker maybe even Mace Windu

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2020
  15. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    The new Jedi question brings up bigger questions about the show. Is it about its own original story and characters, or will it focus more on the galaxy’s bigger events and wider storylines by having their characters bump against them and have cameos of more central players?

It started off as one, but this season it has largely done more of the other. And I’ve loved it, to be honest. Season 1 was fun, but sometimes it didn’t feel like it was doing much. But I do appreciate that it was doing its own thing. And that culminated with introducing its own villain. But even that’s now in question.

I understand why the other Jedi should reasonably only be Luke. But honestly things made a bit more sense with Ahsoka, who was already free and available and has no known fate. The galaxy is big, and space is bigger, so there was no reason why she should not be that Jedi.

Having said that, this isn’t the Ahsoka show, so I do appreciate their not wanting to upstage Mando. But to me that also says that if Grogu is to have any Jedi training at all, it would have to be from a Jedi who doesn’t draw too much attention. Or perhaps, several Jedi.

Something they could do, that would fit the series format better and not upstage Mando, is have them visit a series of surviving Jedi in different worlds, who will train Grogu in different ways, though not necessarily take him on as a full-time apprentice or form a new order.

Lucas himself considered having Luke search for surviving Jedi, but seemingly still have to start the order from scratch. Perhaps all the Jedi who survived have decided that the Order is a thing of the past, and they serve the will of the Force however they can without actually having contact with one another. That would certainly fit with the OT feel of the show.

Grogu could then train little by little, yet still remain with the Mandalorian as his guardian and protector. But ideally these Jedi teachers would be new characters, unique to the show, even if now and then we might get a Jedi we recognize.

Each Jedi would teach something to Grogu and then point him to his next teacher. That’s essentially what Ahsoka already did, after all.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  16. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I actually think Kyle Katarn could really work, moreso than Luke. My reasoning is simple: Kyle could travel with them and easily fit the "Jedi, but not Jedi" archetype that would keep Luke's place as "The Last Jedi" secure. If Luke appears, it's almost guaranteed he won't be training Grogu. Either way, it will be interesting to see where this goes.

17. Kyle could be a student from Luke academy but now i am sure the Jedi will be Ezra if its not Ezra then is Luke or Kyle or some new jedi

18. RetropME

Dec 11, 2017
    I'm just thinking of characters that could travel with Mando and Grogu... They won't separate them so I think it would be cool to have someone who travels with them.

That being said, I just picked Katarn because I really like the character.

19. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Even if Luke took the child it doesn't mean for the next 20 years the child would be stuck with him. its only 6-7 years after ROTJ.

Saying that though. i still find it hard to believe the child isn't staying with Mando. sure keep teasing us that he may depart from the child... but we are still getting 2 more seasons, and they clearly love the dynamic between them.

RetropME likes this.
  20. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I really don’t understand the thinking that they’d bring in a video game character after all this build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erkan12 likes this.
  21. RetropME

Dec 11, 2017
    It's really not any different than bringing in someone like Cobb Vanth from the books or how they brought Thrawn back into Canon. Also, Revan is Canon and he's from a game.

But I don't actually believe for a second they would bring in Kyle Katarn, it's just wishful thinking.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  22. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Yeah, they won't bring a video / comic book only character to the show as a Jedi, includes even the canon ones such as Cal Kestis. Because even the people who follows Star Wars might not know them, so they would create a new Jedi character instead of using them, the reason why they used Ahsoka it's because Ahsoka was favored by Filoni (one of the current directors of the show), and because Lucas and Filoni invested a lot on that character during the Clone Wars tv show, and then in the Rebels tv show. Without a direct link to one of the directors of the show (such as Filoni) I don't see that option is happening. And secondly, Ahsoka had strong connection with the characters that took big roles in the OT (such as Anakin and Kenobi).

As for Thrawn, Thrawn is kind of a unique character that you can't find the same quality with other Imperial officers. What's the purpose of using Kyle or Cal Kestis instead of creating a new Jedi character? I don't see any, and they are not connected to the big names like Anakin and Kenobi. Sure you can argue that they are unique as Jedi amongst the other Jedi too, but I don't think it would make a big difference like the difference between a random Admiral from the Empire and Thrawn.

23. Dark Troopers are from a old SW videogame and they play a major role in the plot making a character canon that appear in the same game is not that crazy but sadly i think you are right

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2020
    RetropME likes this.
  24. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    This is the really weird thing about the show to me, how do the Jedi fit into this?

And how do you not have them upstage Din? Because in my view, every guest star this season except for Cobb Vanth upstaged Din. And putting a Jedi in the show, and I'm only half-kidding when I say this, but I think it would almost be like putting Superman in a Batman show. Where Superman would be hovering above asking, "How much longer are you going to be with this Joker thing? Do you want me to give you a hand?"

I suppose you could water down a Jedi, but then it's like, this is Star Wars. Jedi is kind of like the thing. If you don't want to use Jedi, then do Rogue One (even though Vader turned out to be kind of the big moment of the movie), or do Solo. If you want to use Jedi though, then do it. Do it like you did with Ahsoka. But can you keep going from planet to planet doing Ahsoka?

This may be a tough one. :p

Def Trooper likes this.
  25. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    They would definitely need to be Jedi who are doing their own thing now. Almost like Yoda in Dagobah, who had no plans at all of leaving to help the Rebellion. He would teach a new Jedi, but that was pretty much it.

And on the subject of bringing Legends characters into canon, I like the approach where it might the same character in name primarily, or maybe not even in name but in spirit, with its being mainly a nod to those who know but not an essential piece of knowledge for those who don’t.