main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Frisco, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Qui-Gon is my favorite STAR WARS character, but it seems that not much on this site is devoted to him. Which got me curious: What do you think of the character?

Do you like him in The Phantom Menace? Do you wish he could've been involved in the other films? What does he bring to your personal STAR WARS experience? -- Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I loved Qui-gon very much. If I had one regret, it's that he didn't appear as a Force ghost in Revenge of the Sith. There were rumors of it happening for months during production, but in the end, Yoda just mentions him.

That was a big opportunity lost as far as I'm concerned.

3. Frisco

Jan 21, 2019
    As I understand it, Liam Neeson was very keen on working with George Lucas on another STAR WARS film, as well.

Iefan, Huttese 101 and RolandofGilead like this.
  4. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    And if I recall correctly, folks on this site were quick to claim that Liam didn't appear because even he knew the prequels sucked.

I will say that if plans for the Obi-wan solo movie ever get resurrected, it would be the perfect time to Liam to reappear to retrain his young Padawan in the ways of the Living Force.

whostheBossk, Huttese 101 and Doompup like this.
  5. Frisco

Jan 21, 2019
    I don't know if The Phantom Menace is a movie that
    Liam Neeson would've gone to see if he weren't in it.
    Maybe it's not his kind of film, who knows? But making it,
    he says, was a great experience. As director, George Lucas
    knew just what he wanted and Liam responded well to that.
    Some actors really want tight direction, especially with so much
    greenscreen and fantasy elements that are mostly just made up.

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't know why Qui-Gon wasn't in ROTS, but Liam Neeson was certainly eager to reprise his role in the "Clone Wars" animated series--on two separate occasions. But yeah, wonderful character.

Frisco likes this.
  7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I seem to recall a quote somewhere on an old TFN news item, from before the release of ROTS, where Liam Neeson hints at reprising his role in that film. This would indicate to me that Lucas is telling the truth on the DVD commentary when he says he made a creative decision to leave the scene on the cutting room floor. But I can't find it at the moment.

8. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Qui-Gonn is a great character and I hope that we've not seen the last of him on screen. I always thought that Qui-Gonn having "learned the path to immortality" deserved more explanation than it received in RotS. On my first viewing, I found this a little confusing because there was nothing in the previous two movies to suggest that a deceased Jedi could not return as a force ghost (I know that there were no appearances of force ghosts in the PT, but that doesn't necessarily imply that force ghosts didn't exist at that time). An appearance from Qui-Gonn towards the end of RotS would have made things much clearer for the audience and lent further gravitas to the final scenes.

To me, Qui-Gonn represents a free-thinking element in the Jedi Order. At a time when the order had become embroiled in politics and blinded, Qui-Gonn refused to be restrained by an adherence to dogmatic teachings and power-structures. For me, Qui-Gonn represents the pursuit of metaphysical and existential truth.

Whilst Qui-Gonn was very much a Jedi Knight and part of the Jedi Order, he was willing to work outside the confines of the order when necessary. I do not think that Qui-Gonn could be rightly described as a rebel, but I do think that he had the tendency to speak truth to power.

As I am a fan of Star Wars novels, I am very much looking forward to the relealase of Master and Apprentice in April, which will explore the relationship between Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan. Hopefully, the release of this novel is a portent of things to come and we get more content involving Qui-Gonn Jinn. I would love to see him pop up in an Obi-Wan movie or TV series.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  9. Frisco

Jan 21, 2019
    Thanks for the responses, so far, guys! To further illuminate his position on TPM,
    Here's Liam Neeson talking about being in STAR WARS:

Count Yubnub likes this.
  10. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Qui Gon didn’t always obey the Jedi Order but he always listened to the one who mattered most; the Force.

Frisco likes this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Qui-Gon and Chirrut would be my top two Jedi in terms of wisdom and honor. Really interesting characters. They both only needed one film to make their mark.

12. Frisco

Jan 21, 2019
    I've watched the above in its entirety, before, but it won't run for me, anymore.
    If others are having a similar problem with it, I apologize. I don't know what happened.
    But there are a multitude of interviews on there that Liam Neeson gave about STAR WARS.
    He's even said that he'd be glad to reprise the role of Qui-gon, but the phone hasn't rang, so ...

[​IMG]

This was my favorite exchange between Qui-gon and Obi-wan. It's a nothing scene,
    but I like that it shows a window into Qui-gon, a little bit. Liam really plays him well.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I disagree on it being a "nothing scene." It shows that Qui-Gon cares more about his own moral integrity than having the power and prestige of being on the Jedi Council. It's an illuminating contrast to the way Anakin conducts himself in Episode III.

14. Frisco

Jan 21, 2019
  15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    If that was directed me, I would have to disagree. Trust me, I would know better than you about that. :p

16. Frisco

Jan 21, 2019
    Yes, it was meant for you ... and it was meant as a compliment, in any case.
    Qui-Gon's stay may have been short, but he was very quotable, I'm finding out!

17. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I love the prequels but didn't come to appreciate Qui Gon until the last couple years or so. Upon release I was more interested in finding out Anakin's story so I focused more on him but with more rewatches I tend to focus on the relationship between Qui Gon and everyone else. Looking forward to reading the Master and Apprentice book that is due out in March? I think.

Deliveranze and Frisco like this.
  18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I know, I was just making a self-deprecating joke. Thank you, though.

19. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I believe the Duel of Fates was named so because literally the fate of the galaxy changed by its outcome. Had Qui Gon survived he would have trained Anakin and I feel that would have prevented Anakin from falling to the darkside.

20. Frisco

Jan 21, 2019
    The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  21. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I thought at first that Jedi spirits were a common thing too. Afterall, they certainly in every OT film. I believe there was whole thread dedicated to asking why no Jedi disappeared in the arena battle back in the early days of AotC.

But then I recall how Vader appeared surprised by Obi-wan's disappearance along with his admonishment "Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can imagine." Maybe he wasan't just talking about Luke's potential. Maybe he meant that he would become one with the Force and still be able to guide his new apprentice.

22. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Yeah, I think you're right about Obi Wan's intention with that remark. I also agree that there are plenty of clues to be found when we pour over the films (Qui-Gonn and Vader leave bodies for their funeral pyres, no fallen Jedi dematerialize at Geonosis and Vader even checks Obi Wan's cloak with his boot).

Unfortunately, casual fans and general movie goers would not have considered/explored these clues and would have found the reference to Qui-Gonn confusing at best. An appearance from Qui-Gonn at the end of RotS (possibly as Obi Wan is settling into his new crazy hermit bungalow) could have been used to clarify matters. Obi Wan could have been confused and taken aback, prompting Qui-Gonn to impart some knowledge.

23. Frisco

Jan 21, 2019
  24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Lucas made the prequels as if they genuinely were meant to be watched before the originals. If you watch them in episodic order, there is nothing at all to suggest that a deceased Jedi can return as a Force ghost. The first hint we get that this might be possible is when we hear Qui-Gon's voice crying out to Anakin in Episode II, and it is only in Episode III that we learn through Yoda that Qui-Gon has returned from the Netherworld of the Force. Exactly what this means remains mysterious to us until Ben vanishes upon his death in Episode IV and then returns as a ghost in Episode V. The prequels are constructed to preserve the mystery of the originals in this respect.

25. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I hadn't really considered this point. Indeed, I may not have experienced such confusion over the issue if I hadn't carried my assumptions from the OT into my first viewings of the PT. That said, I still think that the audience would have benefited from a slightly deeper exploration of the subject.