main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Rocks is just embarrassing.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Imrahil2001, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    The title says it all. It's just so -wrong-. It makes me squirm and wince, much like Jar-Jar did to many of you. I'd take a thousand Jar-Jars if I could get rid of Jedi Rocks. God it's horrible.

Ims

2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    "I'd take a thousand Jar-Jars if I could get rid of Jedi Rocks."

I don't know if I'd go that far; but it certainly is annoying.

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    This just goes to show you how no one but JW should ever, ever write music for SW. [face_plain]

4. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Indeed, "Jedi Rocks" most definitely does not rock.

5. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Jabba had Oola killed for dancing to a crappy song.

6. Wookie Pnub

Wookie Pnub Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2000
    "I'd take a thousand Jar-Jars if I could get rid of Jedi Rocks."

Didn't we get 1,000 Jar Jars already? Sure seemed like there were at least a thousand of him in the Naboo battle scenes.

;)

7. Imrahil2001

Mar 28, 2002
    Good point. George now owes me a "Jabba Rocks"-free version of ROJ on DVD. Hear that, Georgie? You revisionist !@)91@%#@%#!@!!!!

Ims

8. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    TPOM may be the worst movie in the SW saga, but Jedi Rocks is the worst moment in the series.

I was upset at Greedo shoots first (the second great travesty of the SE), but if only one thing could be changed in all the films, please get LAPTI NEK back in and shoot the idiot who came up with Jedi Rocks.

9. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Is there a way to get rid of Jedi Rocks and still keep in Lyn Me?

10. Alex1000000000

Alex1000000000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    I hate that song; I want to fast forward whenever I'm watching the movie or listening to my soundtracks.

And is it just me, or does anyone else miss the Ewok celebration at the end of ROTJ? To me it's come to stand for everything I don't like about the SE--not that the new one is bad, the ewok version was so simple, yet it just seemed *right*. I had to go find a copy of the origional soundtrack just for that one.

Anyway, yub yub!

11. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    I think that the new celebration music and scenes are vastly superior to the old version. One of the few really good special edition changes, in my opinion.

12. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I really don't know what to say, but atleast I am not the only one who thinks it. I will take a whole movie about Jar Jar to get rid of that part in the movie.

13. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    As to the celebration... I think the new visuals are better.

However, I think the new song sucks buttock. New age world beat elevator music. That said, as much as I love "Yub Yub," the original music does not fit the new visuals. So ideally, I want the SE visuals of the celebration, but totally new music.

14. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Who composed Lapti Nek by the way? Of course, it wasn't John Williams right? Or was it? I'd be amazed if he did that one. [face_laugh]

But add another vote for Jedi Rocks as a bad bad bad song. What the heck does it have to do with Jedi's anyways? And why are they rocking?

I also hate that moment in ANH SE when that bulky robot bonks the head of another small droid. And those dumb Jawas falling off the Ronto. What's with all this unecessary humor? If I wanted that I'd pop in my TPM DVD. [face_plain]

15. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    "Lapti Nek" is by John Williams.

16. Alex1000000000

Alex1000000000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    My SE soundtrack says "Jedi Rocks" is composed and arranged by Jerry Hey.

17. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I love Jedi Rocks.

18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Psst... JW didn't write Cantina Band.

19. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Psst... yes he did.

20. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I certainly prefer it to the original. That was even more annoying.

21. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I think it's fun. Geez, everything always has to be so serious in the Star Wars Universe for you guys to believe in it. Most pop performers in real life are WAAAAY more outrageous than the Max Rebo band. Goofyness exists in the real world and they exist in Star Wars. It doestn't detract from it or make it invalid.

22. Imrahil2001

Mar 28, 2002
    Yes, in the real world people are more outrageous. However, people entertaining mobsters in a really unpleasant place are probably not going to be so "cutesy" as these guys were. Not even Jabba's taste is that bad. Hell, this music/dancing made "Blues Brothers 2000" look like a cinematic masterpiece.

Ims

23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I agree with Oakessteve on this. I like Jedi Rocks. It's definitely much better than that crappy Lapti Nek. I listened to it (Lapti Nek) the other day and I find it really boring. Jedi Rocks is cool, and it's even funny. I like it.

24. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Curses! Foiled again!

I just reread my SE booklet... I could have sworn that it said Williams didn't write Cantina Band... but it doesn't. //sigh

//retracts earlier "psst"

25. Imrahil2001

Mar 28, 2002
    I don't think Williams wrote "Lapti Nek," which might be what you're thinking of. At least, it wasn't John Williams--his son did, if memory serves.

And no, it isn't crappy. It's just music. And it's not "in-your-face" in the way that the asinine "Jedi Rocks" sequence was; we see a little of the Lapti Nek song and dance, but it was hardly this stupid choreographed production that we get in the SEs.

Ims

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.